The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Our 2nd Actually be Our 3rd Line?.............

What we truly lack is a solid 3rd line. It is something we have lacked for a while now. It's nice to have a 3rd shutdown line, but sometime our team (and 3rd line) focuses on the checking aspect that they don't even get offense chances. We need a solid 3rd line that can produce and play solid defensively.

Now I haven't (and don't tend to) watch a lot of Penguins games, but the fact that Staal has been able to get about 40PTS+ for 4 seasons of 6 tells me they know the importance of offense on the 3rd line. If we can get a centre that is able to put up similar numbers and be key defensively we are a big step closer to the cup. You need depth to win. It's for this reason alone that I sometimes think we should add a no. 2 centre and Kesler can go down a line. He did great shutting down top players last post-season and maybe he'll still be able to play the offensive role he is capable of. (i thought this last year too, so please keep that in mind with flames/comments about his injury, reduction of points, etc.)

Probably impossible but I agree 100% with the sentiment. We are going exactly no where being that we have a team with 2 superstars on the first line and then we have 10 3rd liners. Without adding something up front it's going to be a long boring year. At least if we get rid of all the depth and get a couple top notch players at least AV will have an excuse for riding them to death.

I'm just gonna ignore Kane-Perry-Backes because it's impossible to make happen and go straight to the second proposal.

I can't see how Clowe-Stewart-Arnott is an upgrade on what we have now. They are big, but thir offense is limited. Clowe is really the only player I would be willing to have on the second line, other than him this line would be better suited to the 3rd line role. And I would still take Higgins and Hansen any day over Arnott and Stewart.

I think we need to make an upgrade in quality to lift a Cup.

As I have said often we have a fine set of players but I think we lack variation. I would like to see us trade away Higgins, Hansen, Malhotra and Booth and create a BIG rugged 2nd line of bruisers and snipers.

The team would then be along the lines of

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Kane(Clowe) - Perry(Arnott) - Backes(Stewart)

Raymond - Kesler - Burrows

Why not add Crosby while you're at it for the first line and put the Sedins on the second. Is this Fantasy Hockey or something you actually think is possible?

Volpatti - Lapierre - Pinizzotto

I would then trade Edler for a big defensive reasonably priced body like Weber if maybe not actually Weber (considering cap)

Ballard - Weber..................Hamhuis - Bieksa

Hamhuis - Bieksa...............Ballard - Erik Johnson

Sbisa - Tanev.....................Sbisa - Tanev

Part of our problem as I see it is we have relied on (augmented by the Sedins) defensive scoring, PP and outstanding net-minding to get us to where we are but I don't think that set up (in the way we utilise it, with average body size) will take us through a war of attrition.

It might sound radical, but I want to make our defence help out the goalie and our attack waste the opposition 5 on 5 with a mixture of skill, speed and big hitting. That line up has it all depending on how well Kassian improves and Raymond comes out of pre season.

I see a team along these lines getting multiple cups. The 2nd line for me was the most disappointing in the team.........some of that can be put down to injury but in my view they were not big enough and did not play a cohesive, joined up game. Frankly I doubt it will improve with the personnel concerned. That said I have more faith in Kesler's big time ability than Booth's

Now, how do we do it? Can we do it for less?

Archived