The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Scott Arniel named head coach of Chicago Wolves

NuxFan09

It's official: Scott Arniel has been hired as the head coach of the Chicago Wolves.

http://canucks.nhl.c...s.htm?id=634331

I think it's fabulous that the Canucks got this guy back into the organization. He did such a great job as coach of the Manitoba Moose before being hired by the Blue Jackets and played a tremendous part in the development of some current Canucks, especially Cory Schneider. I trust this man with the Canucks' prospects and young players tremendously.

Great news!

Vancouver, B.C. – The Vancouver Canucks, in conjunction with the Chicago Wolves, announced today that Scott Arniel has been named as Head Coach of the Canucks AHL affiliate Chicago Wolves.

“We are thrilled to have Scott return to our organization,” said Mike Gillis, Vancouver Canucks President & General Manager. “He has had a large impact on the development of a number of our current roster players and we are confident he’ll again play an instrumental role in player development. Scott brings a great deal of character, experience and expertise to the head coaching position.”

Arniel, 49, becomes the ninth Head Coach in Wolves franchise history. The Kingston, ON, native most recently was head coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets during the 2010.11 and 2011.12 seasons, compiling a record of 45-60-18.

Prior to coaching the Blue Jackets, Arniel was the Head Coach of the Canucks AHL affiliate the Manitoba Moose 2006.07-2009.10. In 2008.09 he led the Moose to a number of franchise records including the most wins in the regular season (50) and the most road wins (25), while tying the franchise mark for the most home wins in one season (25). The Moose finished first overall in the entire American Hockey League for the first time ever that season with a record of 50-23-1-6 for 107 points. Arniel was subsequently named the winner of the Louis A.R. Pieri Memorial Award as the league’s outstanding coach for 2008.09. The Moose continued their success in the Calder Cup playoffs by capturing the North Division title with series victories over Toronto and Grand Rapids, as well as their first-ever Western Conference crown and a berth in the Calder Cup Finals after a series win over the Houston Aeros.

In four seasons under Arniel, the Moose won over 40 games each season and compiled a record of 181-106-33 in 320 games and earned two North Division regular season titles (2006.07 & 2008.09).

Prior to coaching the Moose, Arniel joined Manitoba in their inaugural season in 1996.97 in the International Hockey League and spent three seasons with the franchise as a player (1996-99), including the final two as team captain. In 222 games with the Moose as a player, Arniel finished with 67 goals and 104 assists for 171 points and 233 penalty minutes. Upon his retirement in 1999, Arniel remained with the Moose as an assistant coach from 2000 to 2002. During that span, the Moose compiled an overall record of 78-64-7-13. In 2002, Arniel joined the Buffalo Sabres as an assistant coach where he spent six seasons.

This will be Arniel’s second head coaching position at the AHL level.

Call me crazy but I think Scott Arniel will be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks. He had little success during his time in Columbus, but given the team and the situation he was placed in, he was set up to fail from the start. With the Canucks organization he has history with many of the current roster players, and has a proven track record with the Moose. I have little doubt that he will do great as the head coach of the Wolves, and would have little worry if he were to replace AV as coach of the Canucks. I was sad to see him leave the organization a few years ago, so it's great to see him back in the fold.

Call me crazy but I think Scott Arniel will be the next head coach of the Vancouver Canucks. He had little success during his time in Columbus, but given the team and the situation he was placed in, he was set up to fail from the start. With the Canucks organization he has history with many of the current roster players, and has a proven track record with the Moose. I have little doubt that he will do great as the head coach of the Wolves, and would have little worry if he were to replace AV as coach of the Canucks. I was sad to see him leave the organization a few years ago, so it's great to see him back in the fold.

Archived