The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Bure's #10 be retired/be in the Ring of Honour?

ChrisCo!

#10 Retired or Ring of Honour?   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Pavel was the most electrifying player that Vancouver has ever seen. This kid was a dynamo and no one will ever be as exciting as him in our teams history. However, looking at the criteria for jersey retirements, the Canuck orgainization has already set a precident. Linden and Smyl did massive ammounts of community work along side a high level of hockey play. Look at Daniel and Hendrik's donation to childrens hospital. These things in my opinion are a huge reason they have become mentors in the community. Therefore I feel a ring of honour induction is where it should be left.

I am a huge Bure fan and have every single one of his hockey cards collected when I was growing up. It's just the negative issues that plauged both Pavel and the Canucks which makes me a bit hesitant. But if everyone else can shrug it off, congrats to you Pavel.

Pavel was the most electrifying player that Vancouver has ever seen. This kid was a dynamo and no one will ever be as exciting as him in our teams history. However, looking at the criteria for jersey retirements, the Canuck orgainization has already set a precident. Linden and Smyl did massive ammounts of community work along side a high level of hockey play. Look at Daniel and Hendrik's donation to childrens hospital. These things in my opinion are a huge reason they have become mentors in the community. Therefore I feel a ring of honour induction is where it should be left.

I am a huge Bure fan and have every single one of his hockey cards collected when I was growing up. It's just the negative issues that plauged both Pavel and the Canucks which makes me a bit hesitant. But if everyone else can shrug it off, congrats to you Pavel.

Pat Lafontaine's jersey is hanging up in Buffalo. 6 significantly injury-riddled seasons, no playoff rounds won.

However, his jersey deserved to be retired. And Buffalo was probably the correct team to do it.

Bure's jersey also deserves to be retired. And Vancouver is definitely the correct team to do it.

Certainly the length of time spent on a team isn't the sole determining factor when retiring jerseys, otherwise there is no way in hell Ray Bourque's jersey is hanging up in Denver.

Baggins: he WAS involved in the community....he participated in the Family Carnivals, the fan appreciation event and other promotions. And he generated more buzz in the short time he was here than some players do in a career....he gave kids here a thrill and they all dreamed of playing like him. What's to challenge?

Baggins: he WAS involved in the community....he participated in the Family Carnivals, the fan appreciation event and other promotions. And he generated more buzz in the short time he was here than some players do in a career....he gave kids here a thrill and they all dreamed of playing like him. What's to challenge?

As I've said before, even back to Smyl's time the team required all players to be involved in chosen community events. That included Bure. The question is did he do much if anything beyond the team requirements? But as I also said, even if he was well beyond the team required events is 5 1/2 years of playing here enough time to deserve his number retired? I get he was exciting and talented. But honestly is 428 games really enough to deserve a teams highest honor?

As to buzz, unfortunately much of it was controversial.

who are you to "measure" how much he did? Do you even know how much he did?

Do you back in 1994, there was a contest to meet Pavel Bure in his home.

My classmate won that right to meet her idol Pavel Bure in his home. Please don't think what you are thinking it was a meet and greet type of thing. Measure? Did any player other then Pavel allowed a fan to their home?

I don't think Bure is deserving of either. To me, retiring someones jersey should be reserved for those that most embodied the spirit of the team they played for. Yea, I know he had a few good seasons for us, but by his final season here, his true colors really started to show. He turned into a snivelling crybaby which resulted in a mutually agreed on parting of ways In no way does this show any kind of pride in where he played and is not deserving of such props.

Those who say he was better than Naslund make me wanna puke. Naslund loved the city and the community. Even when he retired he said Vancouver would always be his home away from home. He bled Canuck colors and absolutely deserved all the honors he recieved. He played 884 games as a Canuck scoring 756 points on one of the greatest lines we've ever had. I believe, only the Sedin line is better.

Did you know Naslund went up to Nazzy's suit to meet the kids, give them t-shirts and hats, signed autographs and had pictures taken EVERY home game?

It still comes down to the one point nobody seems to want to address. Is playing 5 1/2 seasons here enough service to retire a players number without the significance of cup wins? If so, the team completely disrespected Kirk Maclean by just putting him in the RoH. And he was here over 10 seasons.

McLean got the correct level of respect from the Canucks when he went into the ROH.

With all due respect to Captain Kirk, Pavel, new hall-of-famer, was one of the best players ever to lace up skates. And that's why he'll be honoured with a jersey retirement here, despite playing 5-1/2 seasons for us.

Even Kirk McLean would concur with the level of respect shown by this franchise for both players, if indeed Pavel's jersey goes up. Almost every fan league-wide would concur. In fact, only a few petty fans and attention-begging local media people would disagree. Time to give it up?

McLean got the correct level of respect from the Canucks when he went into the ROH.

With all due respect to Captain Kirk, Pavel, new hall-of-famer, was one of the best players ever to lace up skates. And that's why he'll be honoured with a jersey retirement here, despite playing 5-1/2 seasons for us.

Even Kirk McLean would concur with the level of respect shown by this franchise for both players, if indeed Pavel's jersey goes up. Almost every fan league-wide would concur. In fact, only a few petty fans and attention-begging local media people would disagree. Time to give it up?

Retiring someone's number and being inducted into the Hall of Fame are two different things.

Retiring the number means that the player was good, but also that he did good things for the franchise. Was a great leader and so on.

HHoF is a way to recognize how good a player the person was. Period.

I'm betting that if Pavel had been named Paul and had been born in, say, White Rock everybody here would be saying that the Canucks screwed him royally (which, of course, they did). He would also have had his jersey retired years ago. The Russophobia in this thread is sad; is it any wonder that no Russian players want to play here?

I'm betting that if Pavel had been named Paul and had been born in, say, White Rock everybody here would be saying that the Canucks screwed him royally (which, of course, they did). He would also have had his jersey retired years ago. The Russophobia in this thread is sad; is it any wonder that no Russian players want to play here?

Archived