The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Bure's #10 be retired/be in the Ring of Honour?

ChrisCo!

#10 Retired or Ring of Honour?   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh my god the crying and whining that the Canucks should do this and that to honor Bure is pathetic really. They did all they needed to: they signed his paycheques when he made millions of dollar playing great hockey for the Canucks. He was electrifying player to watch, but the Canucks took a gamble on him when they drafted him and it worked out great. He got traded and the rest is history. The ownership group is now completely different, the management group now is completely different what exactly do they owe Bure?

Exactly how much more should the Canucks honor him besides giving him millions of dollars they did? You want streets named after him? Statues in his honor? Retired Jersey? Ring of Honor? Let rename the team the Bures while we're at it! Elect him mayor, pff why stop there I could see Premier Bure, has a nice ring to it huh? Let's recreate a monument exactly like the Kremlin in downtown Vancouver (prime real estate only of course)all to his HONOR.

Wow so you found one example. But you failed to mention that his number WAS retired by the Buffalo Sabres, and he only played six, count em SIX, seasons with them.

You also failed to mention that the Islanders and LaFontaine had a falling out over the firing of Neil Smith in 2006 with Pat resigning from his new position as Senior Advisor to the Owner in protest. That may have something to do with it in that city eh?

LOL. This is a joke right?

He brought fans back into the building and made most of the Canucks fans that have been around for the past 20 years. Canucks were very close to being history before Bure came. Quin said as much yesterday, the owners were sick of losing money and were about to call it quits.

Guest gumballthechewy

Not only should number 10 be hanging from the rafters, it should be the only number hanging from the rafters. If not for Bure the Canucks wouldn't bein Vancouver he saved the franchise.

But all this negativity wasn't around when Pavel scored all those highlight reel goals all these bashers were jumping out of there sit.Everyone is making a big deal about him wanting out of Vancouver, it doesn't mean a player has to finish his career in the same city that he started in or the other argument of him not doing anything in the community.A small handful of players end up playing for the same team all of their career and as for the community argument so when is that a requirement I think its just Vancouver Fans BS. League wide I can guarantee you that 20% of players (if that) who have their jersey's retired with their teams have had any role in that cities community.

Yes. I don't really know the whole ordeal between him and the Canucks because I was 8 or 9 years old at the time. However, if the league can find his name worthy of the HOF, I'm sure the Canucks organization 15 years later can put aside whatever grudge they have and honor his number one way or another.

Bure is the Vancouver Canucks version of Dave Keon. Bure has his reasons, valid or not, I'm not judging. One thing that is known is the guy likes his privacy. So even if we had Bure Day, make a 100 ft. tall statue, and retired his number, would he want to come?

Maybe the reason he hasn't been honoured is maybe he just wants to forget the Canucks and wants to be left alone?

The guy hasn't been here visiting ever since he was traded from what I heard. Basically he spends his time between Russia and Florida. Maybe he doesn't want the attention. I'm curious if he will even show to the HHOF.

This argument is why I dislike jersey retirement unless the player is one of the all time greats.

E.g Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe, Orr, Richard.

The Canucks creating various levels of honor for the stars of the past will always create contaversy and possible hard feelings like Bure's. Pavel was without a doubt the most talented player to pull on a Canuck sweater for any significant time but I cannot imagine how awkward the whole ceremony would be.

Stay tuned for does Luongo deserve his jersey retired? Kesler?

Archived