The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Bure's #10 be retired/be in the Ring of Honour?

ChrisCo!

#10 Retired or Ring of Honour?   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Bure was a great talent and he deserves to be in the HHoF. But he wasn't here long enough nor had enough accomplishments to deserve his number retired. Add in the way he left the franchise and that just downgrades him further from a number retirement. Ring of honor? Sure. Number retirement? Nope. Statue? Give him a bobble head and we'll call it even.

The HHoF embodies a players entire hockey career. Both NHL and international regardless of the teams he played for. It has nothing to do with an individual franchise. Bure has what he deserves." Baggins

Really? Like when you go to the Canucks historical players page and you look up Pavel and there is not even a photo of him,none of his records,accomplishments,stats,articles-not one frigging note on the player that led the team in near every category for five or six years.

He had more accomplishments here than Trevor or Stan or Marcus -in a really abbreviated tenure.

Yeah,let's give him a bobble head and call it even.Baggins ,do up your buttons or your heart will fall out.

You sound like a corporate shill.

Actually,I could care less if his jersey is retired.

A rag in the rafters does not embody what he was as a player or who he was as a person.

Those that denigrate Pavel's skills to side with the corporate story look rather pathetic.

There needs to be some healing going on by both parties before I think you can even consider retiring his jersey. You need to know the guy will show up and maybe appear at the occasional club celebration every once in a while.

I don't know that he has stepped foot in Vancouver since he was traded.

There needs to be some healing going on by both parties before I think you can even consider retiring his jersey. You need to know the guy will show up and maybe appear at the occasional club celebration every once in a while.

Let one of the Canucks educate the scribes we have here commenting with their lack of knowledge :

Cliff Ronning explains all about Pavel at the 9:24 mark on Wed the 27th on NW Sports talk:

http://www.cknw.com/...ault/index.aspx

"He took the team over the top and was a quiet,shy person.Gino always watched his back.

He was a great team mate and a great competitor and all of us that really know him always speak highly of him.

Pavel Bure was a great team player and one of the most exciting players,not just in Canucks history but all time history.

His legacy....is his excitement, he made you go to the rink,he made people pay to watch hockey,that's for sure.

He was a young kid and did not speak the best english and maybe he did not get the best advice.

He always played and always had a smile on his face.

Pavel Bure on ice was the best player -offensively-that the Canucks ever had.He was very exciting and he made a lot of kids want to play hockey.

Retiring a jersey is an ownership and management issue.

The biggest honor is to enter the hockey hall of fame.

I would like to see it- Pavel's jersey retired in Vancouver.He was a young kid that came here.He was a good team mate.He was a good player.

First time in Canucks history- he was a player that others came to see(on the road).

When we went to different rinks fans would show up for him,looking for him.

He was a star on the road .

A kid that comes from Moscow,could barely speak english and he said he would be a great player and said he would score 50 goals and be a star.

He walked the walk.He did it and that's the way I see it.

He is a big part of what the Canucks did in the past.

Hopefully another kid will play for the Canucks that plays just like Bure and idolized the way he played.

It will be better for the fans,as well.

He was one entertaining player." Cliff Ronning

No,it is a great story.So great ,in fact,that it is HHOF worthy.

Pavel's Vancouver coach/Pres. /GM and Cliff Ronning think Pavel should be honored.

Interesting that Cliff said that Pavel "did not get the best advice".

I guess the opinions of the Canucks players and coach/GM are superceded by the opinions of the ' Baggins' ' and 'GradintoSmyl's we are so blessed with here.

Hi!

Just letting you know what the reality is in the real hockey world.

I could care less if he has a rag in the rafters as I see that rink as a corporate entity.

The Hockey Hall of Fame has spoken.The Vancouver corporate rink is smelling bad.

Bure was overdue place in Hall of Fame, say Canucks teammates

Odjick, Courtnall witnessed Russian Rocket's incredible skill, work ethic

By Jim Jamieson, The Province June 27, 2012

This site will not allow the pic of Pavel and Gino to be put up here.

Vancouver Canucks Gino Odjick (left) and Pavel Bure chat during a training session in Whistler in 1996. The Canucks enforcer became close friends with the Russian during his time in Vancouver.

Photograph by: BONNY MAKAREWICZ , PROVINCE

Two players who knew Pavel Bure the best when he wore the Canucks uniform said it was about time the superstar winger was recognized after he was elected into the Hockey Hall of Fame on Tuesday.

Bure, the most exciting player to ever play for the Canucks and a five-time 50-goal scorer, had been passed over by the Hall for several years.

“I think for whatever reason there’s a little bit of prejudice [by the HHOF] toward Russian players in the NHL, so I’m not surprised [it’s taken some time],” said former Canuck Geoff Courtnall, who lives in Victoria.

“But they were probably getting so much pressure that how could they overlook this guy for so many years.

“I think he deserves to get a lot of recognition, especially in Vancouver. When I left here [as a free agent in 1995], that kid was the best player on the team and he was the reason the team was able to attract the fan base and build the new rink.”

Bure’s case was likely also helped by the fact that former teammate and countryman Igor Larionov, as well as Peter Stastny and Anders Hedberg, have been added to the HHOF selection committee in recent years.

“I knew it was just a matter of time before the Hall called his name,” said popular enforcer Gino Odjick, who lives in the Vancouver area but was reached in Osoyoos, where he was speaking at the Aboriginal Economic Leadership Conference.

Odjick, who became close friends with the Russian Rocket when he arrived in Vancouver in the fall of 1991, said he knew Bure was going to be something special right from the beginning.

“I knew he was going to be a good player when I watched him play, but after listening to him talk and hearing his mentality on things, I knew he was going to be great,” said Odjick. “He made himself into a superstar with training and hard work.”

Odjick witnessed Bure’s two 60-goal seasons and many of his other electrifying highlights while a Canuck, but one of the strongest memories was in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup final against the Rangers in 1994 when he was ejected for high-sticking Jay Wells.

“We went back in the room where they sharpen skates and he cried a little bit,” said Odjick, who didn’t dress for the game.

“We knew how important those games were and how big an opportunity it was. I remember the desire he had to bring a Stanley Cup to Vancouver.”

Odjick said he hadn’t spoken yet with Bure, who’s currently in Russia, but will be at the HHOF induction ceremony in November in Toronto.

“The friendship we created with each other is something that was special,” said Odjick.

Courtnall also had a special bond with Bure, who arrived in Vancouver as a 20-year-old speaking little English. Nine years older, Courtnall helped with the transition.

“I helped him get his apartment, arranged for all his cable TV and phone and set up his banking,” said Courtnall. “When he got here I was one of the older guys and just wanted to help him out. I knew he was going to be a huge part of our team.”

Courtnall had actually introduced himself to Bure the spring (1991) when he was playing for Canada at the world hockey championships. “His English wasn’t very good, but I said to him at the first faceoff, ‘So when are you going to come and play for us in Canada?’” said Courtnall. “He turned to me and said, ‘Soon, very soon.’”

Courtnall remembers how Bure had the deadly combination of high-end talent and insatiable work ethic.

“The biggest thing that I saw from Pavel — he had all the skill and the talent — but his commitment to the game and to getting better and winning was amazing,” said Courtnall.

“I trained with him in the summer a few times and it was crazy how hard he worked out. I’d work out with him early in the morning and I’d ask him what he was going to do in the afternoon. He’d say, ‘Oh, I’m playing tennis and then I’ve got another workout at 4.’

“He was just a phenomenal player. To watch him, there wasn’t anybody who could skate as fast or stick­handle as fast and have the skill to finish.”

The two became good friends who still keep in touch.

“He came to my retirement in St. Louis,” said Courtnall.

“He was crying, just as much as I was. We’re still close. I’m just happy for him.”

Former Canucks captain Markus Naslund also offered his congratulations to Bure from Ornskoldsvik, Sweden.

“He was an exceptional player, unique in many ways given the way he could score with his explosiveness and speed,” said Naslund. “I’m really happy for him to get into the Hall.”

jjamieson@theprovince.com

Pavel Bure’s relationship with the Vancouver Canucks’ management soured from the moment he joined the team in 1992.

Photograph by: Gerry Kahrmann , PROVINCE

Perhaps now that Pavel Bure has gained entry into the Hockey Hall of Fame, the Vancouver Canucks might consider giving him equal status to two guys who have had their jerseys retired by the team.

And let’s be clear here, so far there seems to have been a reluctance on their part to honour their most exciting player of all time by retiring his number. There may have been all sorts of invitations to join the Ring of Honour, but there was no way Bure was coming into town to hear the mixed reaction he’s bound to get and accept a lesser status than Trevor Linden.

And why should he? He was a considerably more gifted player and the two didn’t really get along very well ever since that story came about during the ’94 playoffs that Bure had threatened to withdraw his services during the run to the Cup final unless his future contract demands were met.

Bure adamantly denies ever making that threat, and what he’d really like to know is how the piece ever got legs. Even if his agent, who was Ron Salcer at the time, had made such threats without his knowledge (which he says didn’t happen), how would those become public unless they had been leaked to somebody or some confidence had been broken by management or another player’s agent?

Bure has some strong suspicions as to how that story got going and sullied his reputation, so coming here to accept lesser status than Mr. Wonderful was not an option for him. And he may never come to Vancouver to be honoured, although this election to the Hall of Fame will help, and time heals all wounds.

The relationship between Bure and the Canucks got off to a rotten start as the management team here seemed to think it had to control and dominate its players to keep them on their toes.

After he was drafted — amid great dispute as to whether Vancouver should have been awarded his rights — he defected to California, where nobody from the team came to help him and his father Vladimir for weeks.

Then the team refused to pay the money to buy him out of his Russian contract so that he could play for Vancouver, asking him to cover a portion of it from the salary he would be paid.

He was rookie of the year that first season in ’92 and played his guts out every night, yet the off-ice relationship between Bure and management seemed to get worse on a daily basis, even though he stayed quiet about everything until it was finally all over.

It was like Pat Quinn and George McPhee thought he was a flash in the pan and that at any moment he would suddenly lose all his ability and be useless.

He was never treated as a star here, even though he was worth the price of admission every night and worth far in excess of players who were treated much better by the team. Early on he asked for the first time to be traded and he asked virtually every year Quinn was here, finally firing Salcer and hiring Mike Gillis as his agent to get him out of Vancouver.

“When I signed that five-year deal (for $25 million with the Canucks in late 1994) I looked at Pat Quinn and said I don’t want this contract, I want to be traded,” Bure said when he was finally property of the Florida Panthers, a team that trumpeted his HHOF status Tuesday while the Canucks website virtually ignored the announcement most of the day.

Finally he had to withdraw his services for half of the 1998-’99 season, Brian Burke’s first year as general manager, to force the team’s hand, after which he went on to a couple more near-60 goal seasons.

Bure was a remarkable physical specimen (with just five per cent body fat at one point) who took the puck to the net with such courage it had to be seen to be believed.

Before he was injured for the first time in Chicago, when Steve Smith ran him into the end boards in ’95, his speed was breathtaking, nobody able to stay with him once had had a step on a defender. And to this day people still talk about his first game as a Canuck against the Winnipeg Jets at the Pacific Coliseum.

There is no telling how good he would have been with a management like the Canucks have in place today. The mind boggles at the thought.

Similarly, what if the team had kept Igor Larionov, like any normal team would have done? Or what if Dr. Ross Davidson, the orthopedic surgeon who fixed his knee the first time, had done all his knee procedures? What would his numbers have been when all was said and done?

Kudos to the Hall for finally doing the right thing. Perhaps the Canucks will get the message some day.

© Copyright © The Province

Looks like Mr. Wonderful is wise to keep his mouth shut this week and not look like a hypocrite.

The relationship between Bure and the Canucks got off to a rotten start as the management team here seemed to think it had to control and dominate its players to keep them on their toes.

Note to the ill informed: Hockey players actually have rights and Pavel played fair to the point of having to with hold services.

This is not the 1940's or 1950's where the NHL ownership and management had control of your life.

That rag in the rafters is looking pretty tattered right about now.I like the statue option more and more.

Archived