The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should Bure's #10 be retired/be in the Ring of Honour?

ChrisCo!

#10 Retired or Ring of Honour?   

293 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Bure was a great talent and he deserves to be in the HHoF. But he wasn't here long enough nor had enough accomplishments to deserve his number retired. Add in the way he left the franchise and that just downgrades him further from a number retirement. Ring of honor? Sure. Number retirement? Nope. Statue? Give him a bobble head and we'll call it even.

The HHoF embodies a players entire hockey career. Both NHL and international regardless of the teams he played for. It has nothing to do with an individual franchise. Bure has what he deserves." Baggins

Really? Like when you go to the Canucks historical players page and you look up Pavel and there is not even a photo of him,none of his records,accomplishments,stats,articles-not one frigging note on the player that led the team in near every category for five or six years.

He had more accomplishments here than Trevor or Stan or Marcus -in a really abbreviated tenure.

Yeah,let's give him a bobble head and call it even.Baggins ,do up your buttons or your heart will fall out.

You sound like a corporate shill.

Actually,I could care less if his jersey is retired.

A rag in the rafters does not embody what he was as a player or who he was as a person.

Those that denigrate Pavel's skills to side with the corporate story look rather pathetic.

Actually,I wrote it specifically with you in mind ,Baggins.

It is the part you highlighted:

Those that denigrate Pavel's skills to side with the corporate story look rather pathetic.

It regards these specific comments you posted before deleting:

" But he (Bure)wasn't here long enough nor had enough accomplishments to deserve his number retired. Add in the way he left the franchise and that just downgrades him further from a number retirement. Ring of honor? Sure. Number retirement? Nope. Statue? Give him a bobble head and we'll call it even.

Bure has what he deserves." Baggins

Pavel becomes the one ,true HHoF Canuck.

Never to be recognised or honored cuz the past suits liked to peddle franchises over recognition of true talent.

Fitting.

I hope Gillis changes that for the fans and to honor Pavel's talent that was on display here all those years ago.

Smyl, Linden, Naslund

these are the only 3 players that have had their jerseys retired by the Canucks in the teams 41 year history. None of them ever sat out half a season waiting for their trade demands to be met.

Retiring Jerseys, like the naming of captains is not all about skill. Stan Smyl was not even a point per game player, and yet, he has received all the honors any Canuck could be bestowed by the organization. Why? Because he played his whole 13 year career here, including (if my memory serves me) 8 as captain. No. He never had a 60, a 50, or even a 40 goal season, but he played every shift like it was the last time he would ever be on the ice.

Trevor Linden spent 16 of his 21 years in a Canucks sweater, and were it his choice it would've been 21/21. He is the youngest Canucks ever to be named team captain, and like Smyl put 100% effort out every time he was on the ice. He also like Smyl, still lives in Vancouver and is very involved with the organization, and community.

Markus Naslund spent 11 of 15 NHL seasons with the Canucks, once again, like Smyl and Linden he put his all in every night, and was a donor to many charities during his time in Vancouver. Naslund is currently the franchise leader in goals, and points.

And now, Pavel Bure. who spent only 7 of 13 years in the NHL with the Canucks. And left a sour taste in the mouths of Canucks fans, by sitting out a series of games while waiting for a trade demand to be be met. In my opinion that kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable. Pavel Bure is also not involved with our organization, or community at all anymore, unless he's done things I don't know about. Yes he's probably the most prolific goal scorer to ever play for the Canucks, but compare him to the three players that have their jerseys retired already. His charter does not even compare to theirs.

This is just my opinion. I remember how devastated, and sick I was when he left on such bad terms after what our team had done for him, and I don't think he deserves to have his jersey retired. I know there's going to be people that disagree with me, but I think we should put him in the Ring of Honor, Because his skill level can't be ignored, But the retiring of a Jersey number should be reserved for The Smyls, Lindens, and Naslunds of the franchise.

In 10-15 years I wanna see Jerseys like the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows retired, those are the kind of players that deserve it.

Just my long opinion

JGM

Good post. 5/5.

Also, you don't ask to have your number retired... (Bure)

I also feel we mistreated Linden with the Messier fiasco. I am surprised he actually ended up back here after the way we handled him.

Smyl, Linden, Naslund

these are the only 3 players that have had their jerseys retired by the Canucks in the teams 41 year history. None of them ever sat out half a season waiting for their trade demands to be met.

Retiring Jerseys, like the naming of captains is not all about skill. Stan Smyl was not even a point per game player, and yet, he has received all the honors any Canuck could be bestowed by the organization. Why? Because he played his whole 13 year career here, including (if my memory serves me) 8 as captain. No. He never had a 60, a 50, or even a 40 goal season, but he played every shift like it was the last time he would ever be on the ice.

Trevor Linden spent 16 of his 21 years in a Canucks sweater, and were it his choice it would've been 21/21. He is the youngest Canucks ever to be named team captain, and like Smyl put 100% effort out every time he was on the ice. He also like Smyl, still lives in Vancouver and is very involved with the organization, and community.

Markus Naslund spent 11 of 15 NHL seasons with the Canucks, once again, like Smyl and Linden he put his all in every night, and was a donor to many charities during his time in Vancouver. Naslund is currently the franchise leader in goals, and points.

And now, Pavel Bure. who spent only 7 of 13 years in the NHL with the Canucks. And left a sour taste in the mouths of Canucks fans, by sitting out a series of games while waiting for a trade demand to be be met. In my opinion that kind of behavior is absolutely unacceptable. Pavel Bure is also not involved with our organization, or community at all anymore, unless he's done things I don't know about. Yes he's probably the most prolific goal scorer to ever play for the Canucks, but compare him to the three players that have their jerseys retired already. His charter does not even compare to theirs.

This is just my opinion. I remember how devastated, and sick I was when he left on such bad terms after what our team had done for him, and I don't think he deserves to have his jersey retired. I know there's going to be people that disagree with me, but I think we should put him in the Ring of Honor, Because his skill level can't be ignored, But the retiring of a Jersey number should be reserved for The Smyls, Lindens, and Naslunds of the franchise.

In 10-15 years I wanna see Jerseys like the Sedins, Kesler, and Burrows retired, those are the kind of players that deserve it.

Just my long opinion

JGM

Other clubs have retired numbers based solely on skill. For example, Terry Sawchuk mood was often dark, depressed. I think he also once threw a skate at one unlucky reporter. Still, he remains one of the best goalies all-time, and his number sits up in the rafters at Joe Louis Arena.

Archived