Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Should Bure's #10 be retired/be in the Ring of Honour?

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

Poll: #10 Retired or Ring of Honour? (293 member(s) have cast votes)

#10 Retired or Ring of Honour?

1. #10 Retired (169 votes [57.68%])

Percentage of vote: 57.68%

2. Ring of Honour (106 votes [36.18%])

Percentage of vote: 36.18%

3. Neither (18 votes [6.14%])

Percentage of vote: 6.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

retire #96.
That was the last number he wore here.

What is with people like you? What number did he score back to back 60 goal seasons in? What number did he win the Calder in? What number will Shane Churla remember while he's sipping his soup in a retirement home? No matter what number he wanted or wore later in his career, he will always be number 10!

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#92 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,258 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

retire 96, no one's going to use it anyway. ROH is a minimum.

What is with people like you? What number did he score back to back 60 goal seasons in? What number did he win the Calder in? What number will Shane Churla remember while he's sipping his soup in a retirement home? No matter what number he wanted or wore later in his career, he will always be number 10!

it doesn't matter, 96 is never going to be used anyway, might as well use that one to retire it.

Edited by avelanch, 27 June 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#93 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 07:57 AM

As much as I would like to see his jersey retired. Ring of Honour makes more sense.

I've been a huge Bure -fan back in the day. He was just that good and all. But the way the team and him parted was a bit ugly. Still, I don't think that will stand in the way of recognizing him or his talent. It's just that so many have worn the 10 since him that it really makes no cense to retire that #10 anymore. Ring of Honor makes much more cense in that way. It would actually be a shame if he wouldn't be honored by the team.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#94 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

it doesn't matter, 96 is never going to be used anyway, might as well use that one to retire it.

It's just than I'm a slave to tradition/pattern/stuff like that, to me anyway it wouldn't feel the same, not that I really think they should retire it anyway, to have a number retired by a team in, my opinion, should have more to do with the team and community than the hockey world at large, if you get what I'm saying.

Rin of Honour for sure though!

Edited by gumballthechewy, 27 June 2012 - 10:29 AM.

#95 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

Ring of Honour. Retired jerseys are for players who also contribute in the community like the Sedin's, Linden, and Naslund. Unfortunatly, Bure was never a big contributer to our community. Furthermore, as Valerie rips into our orgainization for not having his brothers jersey retired it seems less likely the ring of honour will happen anytime soon.
Posted Image

#96 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

I think Gillis offered Bure the ring of honour, but was refused. That is about the time that Veronica went off on the Canucks for not retiring his number. If he gave Gillis an ultimatum of number retirement or nothing, then screw him. That's just more proof of his selfishness.

Bure only fills one criteria of number retirement(skillset). His community work was almost non-existant and his character left much to be desired. Bure was the best offensive threat we've had. It's too bad he wasn't more of a team player. His goal to assist ratio is proof enough of that. I don't think he deserves his number in the rafters. He shouldn't be rewarded for hanging around in the neutral zone waiting for a pass from the rest of the team; who worked their butts off in all zones.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#97 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,707 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:10 AM

Ring of Honour. Retired jerseys are for players who also contribute in the community like the Sedin's, Linden, and Naslund. Unfortunatly, Bure was never a big contributer to our community. Furthermore, as Valerie rips into our orgainization for not having his brothers jersey retired it seems less likely the ring of honour will happen anytime soon.

Add in long term player. I just don't see 7 seasons as long enough. Maybe if if he was instrumental in actually winning a cup a cup or two. But for playing 7 seasons then sitting out and demanding a trade? Nope.
Posted Image

#98 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:26 AM

I think Gillis offered Bure the ring of honour, but was refused. That is about the time that Veronica went off on the Canucks for not retiring his number. If he gave Gillis an ultimatum of number retirement or nothing, then screw him. That's just more proof of his selfishness.

Bure only fills one criteria of number retirement(skillset). His community work was almost non-existant and his character left much to be desired. Bure was the best offensive threat we've had. It's too bad he wasn't more of a team player. His goal to assist ratio is proof enough of that. I don't think he deserves his number in the rafters. He shouldn't be rewarded for hanging around in the neutral zone waiting for a pass from the rest of the team; who worked their butts off in all zones.

LOL if you didn't think Bure worked his butt off. Jeff Cournall recently stated that Bure ushered in a whole new standard of working out and being it top shape throughout the whole league. He blew away everyone else before him. And he used that same dedication on the ice. Unlike Mogilny, another Russian playing here, Pavel was never criticized for not giving 100 percent in every game he played. If you went to any game, no matter who the opponent, you were treated to the Pavel show.

I wonder how much you volunteer to visit sick children or how much of your salary you donate to hospitals? Sure its great if a hockey player donates time and effort in this regard, but it isn't part of the job description. Plus he's adjusting to life in a foreign country, can barely speak the language, and Burkey and Canuck management is treating him like crap.

I'm not going to list all his stats...not only in the NHL but internationally...as others have already done that. He scored more points per game than even the Great One! He's in the freaking HHOF for petes sake! How embarrassing to this city if we don't put his number in the rafters, we'd probably be the only team in the history of the NHL to NOT retire a jersey from an alumni of the HHOF.

#99 Gran Turismo

Gran Turismo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:45 AM

Not to mention that his last number as a Canuck was in fact 10.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#100 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,707 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:48 AM

Love how the $20 million dollar Mats Sundin shares the HHOF inductee news release/feature with Pavel on the Canucks home page.

Gillis shovels $20 million at Mats,he plays half a season,comes in out of shape but shares the spotlight with Pavel on Pavel's biggest hockey day.

Classy move,Canucks.

Go to the Canucks 'All Time Players' regarding Pavel-no news,no notes,no features,no bio,no photo,no nothing.Squat.
http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8455738

Go to the Canucks 'All Time Players' regarding Mats -two pictures for his 9 goals in a Canucks uniform.
The Canucks list his playoff accomplishments as a Canuck and there are twenty-seven(27) videos and fifteen (15)'features' on the legendary Canuck,Mats Sundin:
http://canucks.nhl.c....htm?id=8451774

Pavel:

Four time Vancouver Canuck Molson Cup winner
Three time Vancouver Canuck MVP-Cyclone Taylor winner
Four time Vancouver Canuck leading scorer-Cyrus H. McLean winner
Five time Vancouver Canuck 'Most Exciting Player' winner

Most points record as a Canucks rookie
Calder Memorial Trophy (1992)
NHL First All-Star Team (1994)
Best Forward at Olympic Games (1998)
NHL Second All-Star Team (2000, 2001)
Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy (2000, 2001)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (1993, 1994, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001)

Pavel should be honored in statue form on the grounds of Rogers,for saving the franchise and keeping the Canucks in Vancouver.
Nothing else would entice Pavel back here and the honor is fitting,while not sticking it to the corporate suits that have left Pavel without honor or distinction,despite saving their corporate bacon.
Although he may not come to unveil the statue,the Canucks org will have honored him and the fans will accept that past performance may not be indicative of what we can expect going forward.
The Canucks organisation have LONG held this position against Pavel ,disaffecting their best player ever and their fans long enough.
If the corporate suit attitude and denial transforms one day and they begin actually honoring fans and their most beloved players over their troglodytic mindset,perhaps the big drought will end,as well.

The red bold part has nothing to do with the Canucks. Should we retire Cooke's, Ruutu's, and Mitchells numbers because they won the cup for other teams? No. Players get their numbers retired for their accomplishments and length of service with that particular franchise and it's community. Not what they did for other teams. All three numbers that have been retired have a common thread. Long time players, long time leaders, and very involved with the community. Retiring Bure's number here would be lowering the bar as far as I'm concerned.

Bure was a great talent and he deserves to be in the HHoF. But he wasn't here long enough nor had enough accomplishments to deserve his number retired. Add in the way he left the franchise and that just downgrades him further from a number retirement. Ring of honor? Sure. Number retirement? Nope. Statue? Give him a bobble head and we'll call it even.

The HHoF embodies a players entire hockey career. Both NHL and international regardless of the teams he played for. It has nothing to do with an individual franchise. Bure has what he deserves.
Posted Image

#101 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,076 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

<p>

LOL if you didn't think Bure worked his butt off. Jeff Cournall recently stated that Bure ushered in a whole new standard of working out and being it top shape throughout the whole league. He blew away everyone else before him.  And he used that same dedication on the ice. Unlike Mogilny, another Russian playing here, Pavel was never criticized for not giving 100 percent in every game he played. If you went to any game, no matter who the opponent, you were treated to the Pavel show.

I wonder how much you volunteer to visit sick children or how much of your salary you donate to hospitals? Sure its great if a hockey player donates time and effort in this regard, but it isn't part of the job description. Plus he's adjusting to life in a foreign country, can barely speak the language, and Burkey and Canuck management is treating him like crap.

I'm not going to list all his stats...not only in the NHL but internationally...as others have already done that. He scored more points per game than even the Great One! He's in the freaking HHOF for petes sake! How embarrassing to this city if we don't put his number in the rafters, we'd probably be the only team in the history of the NHL to NOT retire a jersey from an alumni of the HHOF.

Lack of reading comprehension on display once again. The point was that Bure never worked hard (in all zones) ever. He only worked hard on offense. I'm not expecting my number to be retired and definitely did not decline the ring of honour. Whether you like it or not, Bure's lack of community spirit and his selfish viewpoint do count for something when retiring a number. If it didn't, his number would have already been retired. Quinn was the one who kept Bure out of the Hall of Fame using similar arguements. He did a total about face. The fact that this puts the screws to Gillis and the Canucks once again has absolutely nothing to do with it I'm sure.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#102 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,707 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

He's in the freaking HHOF for petes sake! How embarrassing to this city if we don't put his number in the rafters, we'd probably be the only team in the history of the NHL to NOT retire a jersey from an alumni of the HHOF.

Pat LaFontaine played 8 seasons for the Islanders and was inducted into the HHoF in 2003. The Islanders didn't retire his number. The two do not go hand in hand.
Posted Image

#103 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,553 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

Oh my god the crying and whining that the Canucks should do this and that to honor Bure is pathetic really. They did all they needed to: they signed his paycheques when he made millions of dollar playing great hockey for the Canucks. He was electrifying player to watch, but the Canucks took a gamble on him when they drafted him and it worked out great. He got traded and the rest is history. The ownership group is now completely different, the management group now is completely different what exactly do they owe Bure?

Exactly how much more should the Canucks honor him besides giving him millions of dollars they did? You want streets named after him? Statues in his honor? Retired Jersey? Ring of Honor? Let rename the team the Bures while we're at it! Elect him mayor, pff why stop there I could see Premier Bure, has a nice ring to it huh? Let's recreate a monument exactly like the Kremlin in downtown Vancouver (prime real estate only of course)all to his HONOR.
Posted Image

#104 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

Pat LaFontaine played 8 seasons for the Islanders and was inducted into the HHoF in 2003. The Islanders didn't retire his number. The two do not go hand in hand.

Wow so you found one example. But you failed to mention that his number WAS retired by the Buffalo Sabres, and he only played six, count em SIX, seasons with them.

You also failed to mention that the Islanders and LaFontaine had a falling out over the firing of Neil Smith in 2006 with Pat resigning from his new position as Senior Advisor to the Owner in protest. That may have something to do with it in that city eh?

Retiring Bure's number here would be lowering the bar as far as I'm concerned.

LOL. This is a joke right?

#105 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,707 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 12:42 PM

Wow so you found one example. But you failed to mention that his number WAS retired by the Buffalo Sabres, and he only played six, count em SIX, seasons with them.

You also failed to mention that the Islanders and LaFontaine had a falling out over the firing of Neil Smith in 2006 with Pat resigning from his new position as Senior Advisor to the Owner in protest. That may have something to do with it in that city eh?

LOL. This is a joke right?

Didn't have to go looking. He was one off the top of my head. His best years were with the Islanders who drafted him and they were the team he spent the longest time with. They didn't retire his number even thogh they had three years pass by before their "falling out". Yes, he quit that job THREE YEARS after he was inducted. If that falling out is enough reason for you to justify the Ilses not retiring his number then what about refusing to play while demanding a trade? One could call that a double standard on your part.

No joke. I think retiring Bure's number would be lowering the bar. Retiring his number is saying stay couple of good years and then quit and you'll get your number retired. Do you want to be like Buffalo? It's not enough as far as I'm concerned. The HHoF has nothing to do with an individual franchise. Each franchise sets their own standards for number retirement that has nothing to do with the HHoF. One does not guarantee the other. Nor should it.

Buffalo obviously saw 3 good seasons in six year as enough to retire LaFontaine's number while the Isles didn't consider eight seasons to be enough. I'm with the Isles on that one. I don't see seven seasons and demanding a trade as sufficient to deserve a number retirement. That doesn't mean Bure wasn't a great player. It just means he wasn't a great Canuck.
Posted Image

#106 thrago

thrago

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

Not only should number 10 be hanging from the rafters, it should be the only number hanging from the rafters. If not for Bure the Canucks wouldn't bein Vancouver he saved the franchise.

#107 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,707 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:37 PM

Not only should number 10 be hanging from the rafters, it should be the only number hanging from the rafters. If not for Bure the Canucks wouldn't bein Vancouver he saved the franchise.

lmao How?
Posted Image

#108 thrago

thrago

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 01:48 PM

lmao How?

He brought fans back into the building and made most of the Canucks fans that have been around for the past 20 years. Canucks were very close to being history before Bure came. Quin said as much yesterday, the owners were sick of losing money and were about to call it quits.

#109 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,707 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

He brought fans back into the building and made most of the Canucks fans that have been around for the past 20 years. Canucks were very close to being history before Bure came. Quin said as much yesterday, the owners were sick of losing money and were about to call it quits.

All 618 of them? Total BS. That was during Messiers time here that the team was in trouble. With three big contracts (Bure, Messier and Mogilny) and attendance dropping Quinn was fired and Burke was given the mandate to turn the team around financially. It was at this time that rumors were flying about the team being sold and moved.

Average Canuck attendance per game:
89/90 15417
90/91 15150
91/92 15768 Bure joins team
92/93 15418
93/94 15140
94/95 13920
95/96 17796 GM Place opens
96/97 17320
97/98 16957
98/99 15802 Bure sits out
99/00 14641 Messier's last year
00/01 17026 Naslund takes over as captain to start the season
01/02 17712
02/03 18500 Sell out streak begins in November

As you can see there was a slight increase Bure's rookie season. Yet from there attendance dropped to new lows until GM Place opened. It again dropped after that first season in GM Place until Naslund took over as captain. If anybody saved this franchise it was Burke's budgeting along with Naslund emerging as a star. This notion that Bure filled the seats is a fallacy.
Posted Image

#110 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,884 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Pavel, is that you?

#111 Mclean1

Mclean1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 02:59 PM

But all this negativity wasn't around when Pavel scored all those highlight reel goals all these bashers were jumping out of there sit.Everyone is making a big deal about him wanting out of Vancouver, it doesn't mean a player has to finish his career in the same city that he started in or the other argument of him not doing anything in the community.A small handful of players end up playing for the same team all of their career and as for the community argument so when is that a requirement I think its just Vancouver Fans BS. League wide I can guarantee you that 20% of players (if that) who have their jersey's retired with their teams have had any role in that cities community.

#112 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

Bet you Gillis is thankful for this one day distraction from Luongo/Schneider saga.

#113 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,834 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

Yes. I don't really know the whole ordeal between him and the Canucks because I was 8 or 9 years old at the time. However, if the league can find his name worthy of the HOF, I'm sure the Canucks organization 15 years later can put aside whatever grudge they have and honor his number one way or another.
Posted Image

#114 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

Now that Bure has been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, do you think his number should be retired, put into the Ring of Honour, or neither?

Since he has be inducted into the HHoF I suspect that there will be a pretty good chance that something will be done involving the player and/or the number.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#115 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 04:52 PM

He's in the freaking HHOF for petes sake! How embarrassing to this city if we don't put his number in the rafters, we'd probably be the only team in the history of the NHL to NOT retire a jersey from an alumni of the HHOF.

He is not in the HHOF for his accomplishments in Vancouver. I hope we are not going to retire jerseys based on what players did elsewhere. Put him in the ring, see if he bothers to show up.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#116 willhouse

willhouse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

Should've been retired after trevor IMO

#117 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

I believe Bure is more deserving than Naslund.

hardly.

naslund was huge in the community, was a stoic leader, and one of the all-time greats to wear the canucks sweater.... bure was a douche.

ring of honor... i guess, but i don't really want to see his jersey in the rafters
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#118 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

Not only should number 10 be hanging from the rafters,...

He better be wearing it at the time.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#119 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,396 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

Retired. One of the most exciting players to step into the 'Nucks uniform. Could bring an entire stadium to their feet.

Or an entire fan base to tears . Just ask Calgary lol :) BURE should be in the ring but retiring a number is really passe.

Edited by vanfan73, 27 June 2012 - 06:29 PM.

2zf729h.jpg

"BiG UP"  to TS for the deadly sig !

#120 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:52 PM

IF he asked to be traded almost every year he was here...

Meh.

He could play hockey no doubt. Loved to watch him.

but he hated Vancouver. Why should we love him?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.