Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Should Bure's #10 be retired/be in the Ring of Honour?

• Please log in to reply
248 replies to this topic

Poll: #10 Retired or Ring of Honour? (293 member(s) have cast votes)

#10 Retired or Ring of Honour?

1. #10 Retired (169 votes [57.68%])

Percentage of vote: 57.68%

2. Ring of Honour (106 votes [36.18%])

Percentage of vote: 36.18%

3. Neither (18 votes [6.14%])

Percentage of vote: 6.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 Grand17

Grand17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

I dont buy your attendence numbers. youre telling me the year after the finals our attendence plummits? also, granted i was a kid in the 90's but I went to about 6 games a year and I remember half empty arenas

#212 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,945 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

I dont buy your attendence numbers. youre telling me the year after the finals our attendence plummits? also, granted i was a kid in the 90's but I went to about 6 games a year and I remember half empty arenas

http://www.hockeydb....ph.php?tmi=8756
Posted Image

#213 NucksBruins

NucksBruins

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

94-95 was a lockout shortened season. I remember that put a damper on things and everyone knew the Canucks were not going back to the finals again. It was all downhill from there until Messier came to save the team.... oh right.
Posted Image

#214 ChrisCo!

ChrisCo!

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

Well looks like they're retiring #10!
Canucks record when I'm in attendance: 6-0-1

Canucks Fantasy Pool Overall Average Rank: 31st

#215 Die Hard Canucks Fan

Die Hard Canucks Fan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

but why wait so long? Linden and Naslund had their numbers retired the year after they retired.

#216 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

bure was the best player to ever play for the canucks period.
he brought the nucks closer to winning the cup than the sedins ever will......
Posted Image

#217 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

Well looks like they're retiring #10!

I didn't hear about this... Did I miss something?

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#218 Gerbera

Gerbera

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

bure was the best player to ever play for the canucks period.
he brought the nucks closer to winning the cup than the sedins ever will......

Eh... Bure and Sedins both went to the Cup Finals... right?

#219 winacup

winacup

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:07 AM

sedins were nowhere near as close to winning game 7 as bure was
Posted Image

#220 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,945 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

but why wait so long? Linden and Naslund had their numbers retired the year after they retired.

Because unlike Linden and Naslund, Bure doesn't deserve it.
Posted Image

#221 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,696 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

Well-deserved Necrobump!
Posted Image

#222 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,696 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Certainly glad Bure gets his number up there only if to laugh at all the bitter anti-Bure fans around here.

Posted Image
"Lolz. This guy sounds mad."
Posted Image

#223 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,733 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Pavel was the most electrifying player that Vancouver has ever seen. This kid was a dynamo and no one will ever be as exciting as him in our teams history. However, looking at the criteria for jersey retirements, the Canuck orgainization has already set a precident. Linden and Smyl did massive ammounts of community work along side a high level of hockey play. Look at Daniel and Hendrik's donation to childrens hospital. These things in my opinion are a huge reason they have become mentors in the community. Therefore I feel a ring of honour induction is where it should be left.

I am a huge Bure fan and have every single one of his hockey cards collected when I was growing up. It's just the negative issues that plauged both Pavel and the Canucks which makes me a bit hesitant. But if everyone else can shrug it off, congrats to you Pavel.

Edited by Snake Doctor, 08 November 2012 - 01:01 PM.

Posted Image

#224 westcoast

westcoast

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,384 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Pretty soon no 1,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,22,33 at this rate.

#225 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

I'm not really one to agree that his number should be retired, but I will still support him and be happy for him if it is.

14ndb35.jpg

#226 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,945 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Pavel was the most electrifying player that Vancouver has ever seen. This kid was a dynamo and no one will ever be as exciting as him in our teams history. However, looking at the criteria for jersey retirements, the Canuck orgainization has already set a precident. Linden and Smyl did massive ammounts of community work along side a high level of hockey play. Look at Daniel and Hendrik's donation to childrens hospital. These things in my opinion are a huge reason they have become mentors in the community. Therefore I feel a ring of honour induction is where it should be left.

I am a huge Bure fan and have every single one of his hockey cards collected when I was growing up. It's just the negative issues that plauged both Pavel and the Canucks which makes me a bit hesitant. But if everyone else can shrug it off, congrats to you Pavel.

Even if he had the community service, I just don't think he played here long enough for a number retirement. Had he been intrumental in a cup or two then sure. But he really only played 5 1/2 seasons here. Just 5 1/2 seasons with no cups and no real community involvement seems to set the bar pretty low imo.
Posted Image

#227 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,696 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Pat Lafontaine's jersey is hanging up in Buffalo. 6 significantly injury-riddled seasons, no playoff rounds won.

However, his jersey deserved to be retired. And Buffalo was probably the correct team to do it.

Bure's jersey also deserves to be retired. And Vancouver is definitely the correct team to do it.

Certainly the length of time spent on a team isn't the sole determining factor when retiring jerseys, otherwise there is no way in hell Ray Bourque's jersey is hanging up in Denver.
Posted Image

#228 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 23,649 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Baggins: he WAS involved in the community....he participated in the Family Carnivals, the fan appreciation event and other promotions. And he generated more buzz in the short time he was here than some players do in a career....he gave kids here a thrill and they all dreamed of playing like him. What's to challenge?

Posted Image

#229 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,945 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

Baggins: he WAS involved in the community....he participated in the Family Carnivals, the fan appreciation event and other promotions. And he generated more buzz in the short time he was here than some players do in a career....he gave kids here a thrill and they all dreamed of playing like him. What's to challenge?

As I've said before, even back to Smyl's time the team required all players to be involved in chosen community events. That included Bure. The question is did he do much if anything beyond the team requirements? But as I also said, even if he was well beyond the team required events is 5 1/2 years of playing here enough time to deserve his number retired? I get he was exciting and talented. But honestly is 428 games really enough to deserve a teams highest honor?

As to buzz, unfortunately much of it was controversial.
Posted Image

#230 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

As I've said before, even back to Smyl's time the team required all players to be involved in chosen community events. That included Bure. The question is did he do much if anything beyond the team requirements? But as I also said, even if he was well beyond the team required events is 5 1/2 years of playing here enough time to deserve his number retired? I get he was exciting and talented. But honestly is 428 games really enough to deserve a teams highest honor?

As to buzz, unfortunately much of it was controversial.

who are you to "measure" how much he did? Do you even know how much he did?

Do you back in 1994, there was a contest to meet Pavel Bure in his home.

My classmate won that right to meet her idol Pavel Bure in his home. Please don't think what you are thinking it was a meet and greet type of thing. Measure? Did any player other then Pavel allowed a fan to their home?

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#231 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,945 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

who are you to "measure" how much he did? Do you even know how much he did?

Do you back in 1994, there was a contest to meet Pavel Bure in his home.

My classmate won that right to meet her idol Pavel Bure in his home. Please don't think what you are thinking it was a meet and greet type of thing. Measure? Did any player other then Pavel allowed a fan to their home?

Did you know Naslund went up to Nazzy's suit to meet the kids, give them t-shirts and hats, signed autographs and had pictures taken EVERY home game?

It still comes down to the one point nobody seems to want to address. Is playing 5 1/2 seasons here enough service to retire a players number without the significance of cup wins? If so, the team completely disrespected Kirk Maclean by just putting him in the RoH. And he was here over 10 seasons.
Posted Image

#232 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I don't think Bure is deserving of either. To me, retiring someones jersey should be reserved for those that most embodied the spirit of the team they played for. Yea, I know he had a few good seasons for us, but by his final season here, his true colors really started to show. He turned into a snivelling crybaby which resulted in a mutually agreed on parting of ways In no way does this show any kind of pride in where he played and is not deserving of such props.
Those who say he was better than Naslund make me wanna puke. Naslund loved the city and the community. Even when he retired he said Vancouver would always be his home away from home. He bled Canuck colors and absolutely deserved all the honors he recieved. He played 884 games as a Canuck scoring 756 points on one of the greatest lines we've ever had. I believe, only the Sedin line is better.

#233 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

Did you know Naslund went up to Nazzy's suit to meet the kids, give them t-shirts and hats, signed autographs and had pictures taken EVERY home game?

It still comes down to the one point nobody seems to want to address. Is playing 5 1/2 seasons here enough service to retire a players number without the significance of cup wins? If so, the team completely disrespected Kirk Maclean by just putting him in the RoH. And he was here over 10 seasons.

You got your beloved Naslund's jersey retired, now you dont want Bure?

I think its an INSULT that Naslund is up there and Bure not. Hes going to have his number retired, so all your whining wont make a damn bit of difference.
Posted Image

#234 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,696 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

McLean got the correct level of respect from the Canucks when he went into the ROH.

With all due respect to Captain Kirk, Pavel, new hall-of-famer, was one of the best players ever to lace up skates. And that's why he'll be honoured with a jersey retirement here, despite playing 5-1/2 seasons for us.

Even Kirk McLean would concur with the level of respect shown by this franchise for both players, if indeed Pavel's jersey goes up. Almost every fan league-wide would concur. In fact, only a few petty fans and attention-begging local media people would disagree. Time to give it up?
Posted Image

#235 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,945 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

McLean got the correct level of respect from the Canucks when he went into the ROH.

With all due respect to Captain Kirk, Pavel, new hall-of-famer, was one of the best players ever to lace up skates. And that's why he'll be honoured with a jersey retirement here, despite playing 5-1/2 seasons for us.

Even Kirk McLean would concur with the level of respect shown by this franchise for both players, if indeed Pavel's jersey goes up. Almost every fan league-wide would concur. In fact, only a few petty fans and attention-begging local media people would disagree. Time to give it up?

You, like many others, seem to be confusing the two honors. They are not related. HHoF is an honor for a players entire hockey career. A number retirement is for a players relationship to the franchise, not his entire career. Bure's induction doesn't have anything to do with retiring his number. That's entirely about the franchise.

I'm not disputing his talent. I'm not disputing he should be in the HHoF. I'm not even disputing he was exciting. I'm questioning his tie to the franchise. Without anything more significant than "he was exciting" I don't think he played enough games here to deserve the highest honor the franchise can give. To me the two most signifacnt factors in retiring a players number are length of service and contribution to cup victories. Community inlvolvement and high level of play come next but need the combination of at least one of the top two reasons. There are no cup victories here and Bure didn't have the length of service. He only has the high level of play. And that's why I think he belongs in the ring of honor instead of his number retired. One out of four, with neither of the biggest reasons, isn't enough for me.

One of the best to lace up the skates? I don't know about that. I didn't see his name on The Hockey News' top 100 of all time list. His best season (92/93) his 110 points didn't crack top 10 in the league. Lemieu was 1st with 160 points (in only 60 games) and Recchi was 10th with 123 points. Yes he was exciting and he was certainly among the stars, but he wasn't among the best to ever lace em up. There were fourteen 50+ goal scorers that season. Of those fourteen, three had 60+ (Lemieux, Robitaille and Bure) and two had 70+ goals (Selanne and Mogilny). To put that in perspective, in the 5 seasons combined before the lockout (the dead puck era) there were six 50 goal scorers total and none had 60 or above.
Posted Image

#236 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,945 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

You got your beloved Naslund's jersey retired, now you dont want Bure?

I think its an INSULT that Naslund is up there and Bure not. Hes going to have his number retired, so all your whining wont make a damn bit of difference.

I had nothing to do with Naslunds number getting retired. I agreed with it, but Acquilini never called and said it was up to me.

I'm not whining at all. I'm just explaining why I don't think Bure's number should be retired. That's called an opinion. Your post on the other hand comes across as rather childish and whiney.
Posted Image

#237 Mighty Walrus

Mighty Walrus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:35 PM

The heck with bure let's get ginos number up there.

#238 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Retiring someone's number and being inducted into the Hall of Fame are two different things.

Retiring the number means that the player was good, but also that he did good things for the franchise. Was a great leader and so on.

HHoF is a way to recognize how good a player the person was. Period.

#239 thema

thema

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

I'm betting that if Pavel had been named Paul and had been born in, say, White Rock everybody here would be saying that the Canucks screwed him royally (which, of course, they did). He would also have had his jersey retired years ago. The Russophobia in this thread is sad; is it any wonder that no Russian players want to play here?

#240 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

I'm betting that if Pavel had been named Paul and had been born in, say, White Rock everybody here would be saying that the Canucks screwed him royally (which, of course, they did). He would also have had his jersey retired years ago. The Russophobia in this thread is sad; is it any wonder that no Russian players want to play here?

I don't see any "russophobia". Maybe for some people, but most don't care where the player was born.

14ndb35.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.