Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Should Bure's #10 be retired/be in the Ring of Honour?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
248 replies to this topic

Poll: #10 Retired or Ring of Honour? (293 member(s) have cast votes)

#10 Retired or Ring of Honour?

1. #10 Retired (169 votes [57.68%])

Percentage of vote: 57.68%

2. Ring of Honour (106 votes [36.18%])

Percentage of vote: 36.18%

3. Neither (18 votes [6.14%])

Percentage of vote: 6.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#241 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Retire!

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#242 ChrisCo!

ChrisCo!

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:26 PM

My opinion:

- If Bure's number was to be retired, it should've been done years ago.
- 4 retired jerseys is too much for a team that hasn't won a Stanley Cup.
Canucks record when I'm in attendance: 6-0-1

Canucks Fantasy Pool Overall Average Rank: 31st

#243 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Certainly glad Bure gets his number up there only if to laugh at all the bitter anti-Bure fans around here.

Posted Image
"Lolz. This guy sounds mad."

This is a thread asking if his # should be retired, not if it will be retired. This is opinion based. I think his # will be retired but I will still disagree with it. I still disagree with Naslund's # being retired. My opinion was never wrong, and I correctly predicted that Naslund's # was going to be retired even while I disagreed with it. Do you comprehend the difference? If you do, then what's to laugh about?

I was a Bure fan, but I always wanted him to be a better team player. He rarely back-checked and would shoot from behind the net in the corner rather than pass to a player who wasn't one of his guys. He was better in the Playoff run. He believed that offense was his only responsibility or so it seemed. Yet in game 7 of the Cup Final, it was Linden(the two-way player) who almost won it for us. Assuming everyone who does not want his # retired to be haters is naive.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#244 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:00 PM

Ring of Honour.

Bure was a great player here, but I never really got the feeling that he was part of the team, at least in the same sense of some of the other leaders on that '94 SC run team.

Was he mistreated by the Canucks' management? Maybe. Did he have justifiable reasons to be disgruntled? Perhaps. This being said, having the team say "sorry about that" by retiring his number is a bit extreme and doesn't excuse Bure's lack of involvement with the team in non-game situations.

I don't see that him getting lots of points for the Canucks should earn him the honour of a retired number (whether it's 10 or 96). A RoH is enough of a tip of the hat for his performance while here.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#245 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:03 PM

is it any wonder that no Russian players want to play here?

Yeah, this must be true, looking at the quality of their play while they are here. :)

regards,
G.

#246 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,450 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:05 AM

My opinion:

- If Bure's number was to be retired, it should've been done years ago.
- 4 retired jerseys is too much for a team that hasn't won a Stanley Cup.

St Louis has 6.

Barclay Plager 10 seasons (longest serving captain)
Al MacInnis 10 seasons
Brett Hull 11 seasons
Brian Sutter 12 seasons
Bernie Fedorko 13 seasons

Bob Gassoff 4 seasons (died motorcycle accident)

Well now, look at that. They all played 10 or more seasons except for the one that died. Maybe there's something about length of service being honored....

HiromiOshimaB.gif

#247 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Anyone interested in this thread or Pavel Bure should go to the "Canucks MIGHT retire Bure's #10" thread, if you haven't already.

Edited by SN -Admin, 16 November 2012 - 12:08 PM.
personal attack removed.

#248 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Anyone interested in this thread or Pavel Bure should go to the "Canucks MIGHT retire Bure's #10" thread, if you haven't already.

Was Bure a great player? Yes. Was Bure a great Canuck? No.

In my view, he did not care about the crest on the front of the jersey. When I say this, I do not mean to say that he cared more for the name on the back of the jersey, but rather he would have played as he did regardless of the team he was on. Being a Canuck was of no sigificance to Bure.

Was Bure mistreated by the Canucks? Maybe. This does not excuse the fact that he was not interested in being here.

Did Bure generate a lot of points? Absolutely, just look at his stats! This being said, if Bure is to get his jersey retired because of stats, why not retire Tanti's jersey? He got near to the same number of goals. He hasn't even rated the RoH. Gradin got over 70 more points than Bure over their respective careers, and I don't expect he will get his jersey retired.

I think RoH is more than sufficient for Bure and his contribution while he was here.

regards,
G.

Edited by SN -Admin, 16 November 2012 - 12:08 PM.
:quoted personal attack removed.

#249 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Retire his number.

his 94 playoff performance to this date is a team record. Even Sidney Crosby did not put up the numbers he did. The 94 pavel Bure was the dominating BY any Canuck in history. Despite contract problems and things happening in the back during the playoffs, Pavel Bure ignored it, and focused all his effort on trying to win the Stanley cup. He seems arrogant at times, but bloody hell. If he makes it to the hall of fame, he must be that good. Retire his number. You haters are just laughable.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.