The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Doan to test Free Agency

In this case, he would be exactly what the Canucks need. The talent may be declining, but he's a leader and he is the kind of player the team hasn't had the last few years in the playoffs. If Gillis can sell him on the city and the team's chances of winning the Cup, he could be a key guy.

He'd be my first choice among available forwards... would balance out the lineup very nicely. If he'll sign for two years at 8-10 millionish I wouldn't think twice. If we don't get him I hope Winnipeg does - that would be fitting.

This is completely unfortunate. I miss the days of the 'face of the franchise' remaining with franchise. Free agency is all well and good for non-core players but... Well, I guess if Gretzky can get traded, anybody can get traded.

This is why I always had tremendous respect for the likes of Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman and Martin Brodeur. They bled the colors of their respective teams. It's one of the reasons I prefer Olympic hockey over NHL (though I am nuts for the NHL). You ger a feeling of constancy and security. Not saying Doan doesn't as a Jet/Coyote. I sincerely hope he resigns with them. The only place I would be okay with outside of them would be with Winnipeg so he can finally go home.

Players like Sundin and Naslund that sign for one year at the end of their careers... even Gretzky in his St. Louis/Rangers days... Doesn't feel right. Nasulnd was not a Ranger, not inside. He was a Canucks getting paid by the Rangers to skate for them. Like a mnercenary.

Sometimes change is required. A little. Some players you do not trade. Treat them right, they treat you right. It is the Detroit way. They draft/develop their core and use trade and free agency for everything else (with a few exceptions). Thats how you maintain long term player alegiance between players and fans.

I remember a buddy of mine when we were young who just spent all his money he'd been saving up (early early highschool) on a Trevor Linden jersey roughly one week before he was traded. The guy was crushed. Linden and Doan are great examples of players you do NOT let leave.

/rant

The sale of the Yotes to teh new owners is being challenged in court and there's a good chance the courts will agree that previous court orders were violated and the sale is null and void.

My guess, Doan has had enough of playing for the NHL ownership group and wants to go to a real team with private owners.

Problem is, We'd sign him, then Alain Vigneault wouldn't like him, and end up playing him every 3 games or so before he gets traded at the deadline and puts up 40 points in his last 20 games playing proper minutes.

AV sucks with the old players.

This is completely unfortunate. I miss the days of the 'face of the franchise' remaining with franchise. Free agency is all well and good for non-core players but... Well, I guess if Gretzky can get traded, anybody can get traded.

This is why I always had tremendous respect for the likes of Joe Sakic and Steve Yzerman and Martin Brodeur. They bled the colors of their respective teams. It's one of the reasons I prefer Olympic hockey over NHL (though I am nuts for the NHL). You ger a feeling of constancy and security. Not saying Doan doesn't as a Jet/Coyote. I sincerely hope he resigns with them. The only place I would be okay with outside of them would be with Winnipeg so he can finally go home.

Players like Sundin and Naslund that sign for one year at the end of their careers... even Gretzky in his St. Louis/Rangers days... Doesn't feel right. Nasulnd was not a Ranger, not inside. He was a Canucks getting paid by the Rangers to skate for them. Like a mnercenary.

Sometimes change is required. A little. Some players you do not trade. Treat them right, they treat you right. It is the Detroit way. They draft/develop their core and use trade and free agency for everything else (with a few exceptions). Thats how you maintain long term player alegiance between players and fans.

I remember a buddy of mine when we were young who just spent all his money he'd been saving up (early early highschool) on a Trevor Linden jersey roughly one week before he was traded. The guy was crushed. Linden and Doan are great examples of players you do NOT let leave.

/rant

I wouldn't mind seeing Doan in a Canucks jersey, even if only for a year or 2. He still has gas in the tank as we saw in the post-season.

If he does leave Phoenix, he is leaving to try to win a cup. Why is anyone suggesting the Jets as a fitting destination? He played there for one season 17 years ago, yeah?... did I miss something?

If Doan were to come here I think he could solve a number of problems with the team's top-6. However, there are a couple of issues which could create a large problem in signing Doan.

1.) I believe Doan would want to sign for at least as much as he got last year, and I believe he will likely want more than one year.

2.) The other issue he brings with him is his age.

By age I do not mean "he's 35 and that's old", but rather that his new contract would be one of those "35+" contracts. This means that should he get more than a one year deal, even if he decided to retire after next year was done, he would still be on the cap.

Might he be signed to a deal similar to what Sundin got (ie. two one year deals rather than a single, two-year contract), and would that evade any potential cap issues?

regards,

G.

Archived