The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Doan to test Free Agency

It seems ridiculous to me that you've even have an opinion on this

It probably "didn't feel right" for Bourque to be so freakishly talented, yet unable to win a cup with his garbage Bruins after 20 years of service there.

If people have the opportunity to be play with and for the best in the world, they should take that opportunity. Jersey sales should be an after thought, as should sentimentality

It's a bit old hat to say you want any free agent (at least here) - but DOan is one player that would be good on almost every team. Skilled, heart and soul guy that plays hard every single shift. He's the epitome of the guy Gillis and Co. 'SAY' they want. This would be a good place to prove it - assuming he'd listed to the Nucks.

He'd fit in on any line we had and be a good guy to teach Kesler who still could take his game to a new level of leadership, sans diving.

If Doan were to come here I think he could solve a number of problems with the team's top-6. However, there are a couple of issues which could create a large problem in signing Doan.

1.) I believe Doan would want to sign for at least as much as he got last year, and I believe he will likely want more than one year.

2.) The other issue he brings with him is his age.

By age I do not mean "he's 35 and that's old", but rather that his new contract would be one of those "35+" contracts. This means that should he get more than a one year deal, even if he decided to retire after next year was done, he would still be on the cap.

Might he be signed to a deal similar to what Sundin got (ie. two one year deals rather than a single, two-year contract), and would that evade any potential cap issues?

regards,

G.

Can definitely see Gillis being very interested in him, considering how bad he seems to want a true Power-forward. With the amount of cap we have, i wouldn't mind him at 4 mil. It's not like he have had the best line-mates in the NHL the last few years. I think he would be a good fit for Vancouver, he would bring both offense, size, physicality and good leader-ship.

Joe Sakic, in one of the Calloway moves ever, gave the cup to the Bruin in an Avs jersey, Ray Bourque.

It is an awkward situation... If your wife of 20 years I barren, do you leave her for the younger, prettier, more fertile woman?

Bourque was always a Bruin, no matter what jersey he wore.

Doan would be a very nice pickup.

6'2 - 225 - 50 + points - 150 + hits ...decent 2nd line #s... but the leadership element and the balls he plays with would be a very welcome addition.

9 points and 79 hits over 16 playoff games this past season... impact player.

I think bringing in Whitney and Doan for 2 year contracts each would be beneficial for the following reasons.

-Both are coming off very reasonable cap hits on their last contracts and may not require much of a raise to acquire

- Both are solid veteran presences that are key in the locker room chemistry.

-Are a play-maker and a grinder; would compliment Kesler's game perfectly.

-Both play on 1st unit power play for Phoenix, would make our second unit almost just as deadly as 1st

-----Sedin, Sedin, Kesler, Edler, Doan

-----Whitney, Burrows, Higgins, Bieksa, Garrison?

- Are both big bodied, and strong along the boards

- And the most beneficial reason I can see with signing 2 veteran forwards is that it gives us 2 years to mold and develop the likes of Kassian, Jensen, Rodin, Gaunce etc. into full time replacements on the 2nd line.

Archived