The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pat Quinn TEAM 1040 Interview: "If the Canucks are wise at all," they should retire Pavel Bure's number.

This is one of the things I'm most embarrassed about in regards to the Canucks. The Canucks have never had a player as talented and skilled as Bure and yet, he isn't in the ol'mighty Ring of Honor or whatever they call it. The NHL can recognize him as a HOF'er but the Canucks, and their stubborness won't retire the number of the best PLAYER to ever play for this organization. It's pathetic if you ask me, and it makes us look bad.

You don't have to be an ideal citizen to become a HOF'er, you have to play the sport in which you play at an elite level and be better than most that you are playing against. Bure was that!

Bure's number not retired by the Canucks is a total shame and we should be embarrassed our organization can treat certain players as they do.

You were 14 in 94 there, guy whipping out the wisdom of the ages card.

Since I was 24 and 10 years older, I guess that validates my opinion automatically and I don't think his number should be retired. He had a short career and no cups. Shanny should have got in.

This is not a slight on Bure who was a good player, there are a bunch of "Hall of famers" that should never have got in. No cups or personal hardware like MVP and such.

your a 24 year old at the most you watched Bure towards the end of his career with Canucks because surely in the 94 playoffs you were pretty young to call him selfish.Every Canuck who played with him from Linden to Murray Craven have never ever said anything bad about the guy.All your going on is all the BS the media in Vancouver says about him.

So Linden was around the same time y is his number up because he was/is good in the community

Stan Smyl is before my time so no comment.

Markus Naslund because he had all the team records.

Pavel Bure because he was the most exciting player in the league period and more importantly for canucks ownership he put asses in the seats when the team was average aside for a playoff run and a couple of good season.

Oh please he got in thats the end of that, so Linden has a cup or hardware like MVP or Smyl right.Bure wasn't a good player he was a great player.Ya I was 14 your point been I was of age to follow hockey and knew how much Bure meant to the team(your telling me you didn't get out of your sit when he scored all those goals and led the team with points and playoff points., your point is not valid.Your a Bure basher period because Linden and Smyl didn't win the cup or MVP and are not hall of famers either.As for Nazzy he didn't win a cup either just an MVP so your arguement justifies an MVP award = having your number retired but been recognized as a hall famer doesn't for someone who is 10 years old your arguement is pretty weak.Bottom line is your on the side that Bure doesn't deserve it and am on the side that its well over due like majority of NHL minds.

After Bure got his big paycheck (after the 94' run), he got selfish, going out to parties, staying past team curfew, etc. Linden isn't that type of guy who throw his own teammates under the bus and airs out dirty laundry to the media.

When did I bash Bure?

Your slam dunk rebuttal is to points I never even made. I have said Bure was a great player, but I think the HHOF needs a stricter induction process. Sakic being a perfect choice, for example. Letting guys like Gilmour Neely and Bure in is more like school sports day to me for it's needed qualifications.

Nasland didn't win the Hart as far as I remember, just the Lester B. I wouldn't have retired his number either. Linden and Smyl were true faces of the franchise, so hard to argue against but they did not win any hardware, true. (but if we won the cup in 94, it would have been Linden or your namesake winning the MVP)

I liked Bure, but disagree with HHOF and retired number, that's it. Doesn't make me a basher, Bure hater or slave to media bias, just a guy with a different opinion.

OK who did he through under the bus, when did he air out dirty laundries to the media or broke curfews, give me some reliable sources to all these accusations because i don't remember any of these.All I remember is that idiot Tony Gallagher writing a BS story about him sitting out the playoffs which both Bure and then GM Pat Quinn deny.

OK who did he through under the bus, when did he air out dirty laundries to the media or broke curfews, give me some reliable sources to all these accusations because i don't remember any of these.All I remember is that idiot Tony Gallagher writing a BS story about him sitting out the playoffs which both Bure and then GM Pat Quinn deny.

There were pictures on the internet with him and Odjick partying at nightclubs. There's a reason why Linden and Bure never really got along. Linden respected him as a player, but off the ice he was a bit of a headcase.

I think those who trash on Bure should pick up the bio book on him and here his side of the story, rather than wasting time making uninformed remarks and decisions. Ownership and management treated rather unfairly his entire tenure with the Canucks.

It should hang in the rafters.

All players go to nightclubs, you said he broke curfew...wrong.Him and Linden didn't get along so what, do you play any organize sports, you don't always get along with all your teams,what does not having relationship with a team outside the arena have anything to do with him airing out dirty laundries to the media because Bure didn't have any relationship with the media in Vancouver(it shows you don't really know much about him and his time here) and throwing teammates under the bus(look at the previous sentence he barely spoke to the media in Vancouver). This never ever happened your just making things up buddy.

Ya am totally wasting my time with you, you have no reliable sources and making things up with out any sources, a few pictures which I don't recall on the internet so you come up with all these things.

About Nazzy Lester B Pearson is more respectable then the MVP because its voted by his peers in the league.This is all Bure did....

Four time Vancouver Canuck Molson Cup winner

Three time Vancouver Canuck MVP-Cyclone Taylor winner

Four time Vancouver Canuck leading scorer-Cyrus H. McLean winner

Five time Vancouver Canuck 'Most Exciting Player' winner

Most points record as a Canucks rookie

Calder Memorial Trophy (1992)

NHL First All-Star Team (1994)

Best Forward at Olympic Games (1998)

NHL Second All-Star Team (2000, 2001)

Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy (2000, 2001)

Played in NHL All-Star Game (1993, 1994, 1997, 1998, 2000,2001)

All that is missing is a Cup.With this resume he has done it all in my opinion.

I think those who trash on Bure should pick up the bio book on him and here his side of the story, rather than wasting time making uninformed remarks and decisions. Ownership and management treated rather unfairly his entire tenure with the Canucks.

It should hang in the rafters.

I would say pre Naslund's jersey retirement that Bure should not have had his jersey retired. With the retirement of Naslund's number you open it up to players past, present and future who may not whole heartily deserve it. If you have to debate whether or not a player should have their jersey retired, they shouldn't have their jersey retired (ie. Naslund and Bure).

With that being said Bure should now have his jersey retired:

NHL Awards (With Vancouver)

1 Calder Memorial Trophy (1992) "Only Canuck to ever win the award"

1 Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy (1994) *The award did not exist at this time but he led the league in goals"

4 NHL All-Star Games (1993, 1994, 1997, 1998)

1 NHL First All-Star Team (1994)

Vancouver Canuck Team Awards

3 Cyclone Taylor Trophies (1993, 1994, 1998) "The same number as Stan Smyl"

5 Most Exciting Player Award (1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1998) "Tied with Toni Tanti for most in club history"

4 Cyrus H. McLean Trophies (1993, 1994, 1995, 1998) "Tied with Henrik Sedin and Andre Boudrias, 1 behind Naslund"

4 Molson Cups (1992, 1993, 1994, 1998) "Tied with Richard Brodeur, 1 behind Roberto Luongo"

Team Records (With Vancouver)

Vancouver Canucks single-season record, most points by a rookie (60 points, 91-92) "tied with Ivan Hlinka"

Vancouver Canucks single-season record, most goals (60 goals, 92-93 and 93-94)

Vancouver Canucks all-time playoffs record, most goals (34 goals) "tied with Trevor Linden"

Vancouver Canucks all-time record, most shorthanded goals (24 goals)

Vancouver Canucks single-game record, most goals (4 goals, 1992) "Tied with 9 other players"

I think Pat Quinn really hit the nail on the coffin when he said the Canucks were pulling maybe 7,000 people a game, that all changed with the arrival of Pavel Bure. One could argue that if the Canucks never got Bure the team may not be here. Bure put people in the seats like no other player the Canucks have had.

There are few hockey players that created energy the moment he/she went over the boards.

Pavel was electrifying and one would expect something spectacular could happen every time he was on the ice.

There are not many players that hold that distinction.

He was a kid from a strange land with pocket fulls of dough and a friend in Gino.

It was a special time and I could care less what the suits at GM place did or will do or more specifically ,did not do or will not do.

Nothing,and I mean nothing,that the suits think or do to Pavel will take away from his gifts and what he brought to all those that love hockey.

The kid had a gift and was simply amazing.

Archived