The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pat Quinn TEAM 1040 Interview: "If the Canucks are wise at all," they should retire Pavel Bure's number.

I heard they were retiring #10 for Brian Bradley...

I was incredibly hurt when Pavel left this team, I bled Black Red and Yellow (After I had bled Orange yellow and white.) Now I bleed Blue and Green. I am and always will be a Canucks fan. That being said, I was overwhelmingly happy to see my all time favorite VANCOUVER CANUCK make the HOF today.

I'm going to do whatever I can to see him in Toronto this November and if the Canucks decide to honor their greatest player by retiring his number or putting him in the RoH then I hope to fly to Van City and see that too. I've gotten past his departure, his time as a Canucks player was the most fun I have had as a fan.

Talk about being forced into an awkward position...

How do you honor a player with the ultimate prize a franchise can reward a franchise player with when that player demands his way out of your franchise?

I guess Aquilini should phone up Geoff Molson and see how he handled the Roy situation; although, Roy won multiple Cups for Les Habitants, and goes down as one of the top 3-5 goaltenders of all time, so that made the decision rather easy did it not?

I just read a little on Pavel to refresh my memories of him. The reason why the Canucks have never honoured him was because of the circumstances when he left and the unsavoury characters he had as associates. Although you can't believe everything you read I believe where there is smoke there is fire and there probably is bit and pieces of truth in these rumours. Having said that his numbers on the ice do merit some recognition of his hockey skills.

Wasn't there a story last season that went around the media that the Canucks had in fact offered to honour Pavel, but he declined? Perhaps somebody remembers better. If he is still pissed off at the organization I presume he would go into the hall as a Panther then too?

If every player that ever played hockey was reincarnated as a 20 year old hockey player and a draft was held Gretsky or Orr would go first. Pavel would definitely be in the top ten. Yes he was that good. I watched Gretsky and Orr from the time they were rookies until they retired.

Bure was better than Lafleur, Dionne, Hawerchuk, Bossy, Mogilny and Selanne. On a relatively weak Canucks team that has always had an exhausting travel schedule he was amazing.

All this talk about Yakupov being the next Bure. If it's true, then it truely saddens me Gillis didn't find a way to get him. Bure was the most electrifying player to ever play the game. Lafleur was a distant 2nd.

Arguably the best player to wear a Canuck's jersey, Bure exhibited amazing offensive prowess and explosive speed. Duration with a team should play some part in any player having their number retired, but how long is long enough? 10 years? Longer? Bure accomplished more for the Canucks than many before him did and in fewer years. Does he not deserve the acknowledgement and honour of being "that" good?

Bure was a better player then syml,linden and naslund. no question.MG and the ownership needs to wake up this guys jerseys should of been retired.BOOOO WHOOOO he wanted out of Vancouver so what life goes on.Bure is the only superstar Canucks have had who deserves his number up there.Am all for it and have been since 16 went up.I would of have Bure on my team over those three any day.

Bure was undoubtedly the most talented player to ever wear a Canucks jersey, and he gave his best years to us.

If Naslund was retired on points alone (whom I disagree with being retired), then Bure should be retired for being the best player ever to wear the jersey.

What force?

The Canucks went to the playoffs 4 out of the 7 years when he was here.

After the 94' run the Canucks bowed out in the 2nd round a year later and never made the playoffs until 2001.

I did watch him play. Yes, he was amazing, but he was all flash and only cared about himself.

Although there were all those rumors that Pat Quinn screwed around with Bure back in the day, it's hard to believe after this. When they showed Pat Quinn calling Bure to congratulate him, Bure was saying how if it wasn't for Pat, he wouldn't have been here in the first place. Doesn't sound like they have any animosity for each other. When Bure left on bad terms, Brian Burke was GM at the time and Pat Quinn was already let go by McCaw's ownership group.

Archived