The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pat Quinn TEAM 1040 Interview: "If the Canucks are wise at all," they should retire Pavel Bure's number.

There are few hockey players that created energy the moment he/she went over the boards.

Pavel was electrifying and one would expect something spectacular could happen every time he was on the ice.

There are not many players that hold that distinction.

He was a kid from a strange land with pocket fulls of dough and a friend in Gino.

It was a special time and I could care less what the suits at GM place did or will do or more specifically ,did not do or will not do.

Nothing,and I mean nothing,that the suits think or do to Pavel will take away from his gifts and what he brought to all those that love hockey.

The kid had a gift and was simply amazing.

Who cares?

Burke and Gillis can't dictate what kind of player he was from some rag in the rafters.

I have said it for years,if I were Pavel I would never come back until or unless a statue was erected in my honor with the rear facing Griffiths Way.

If every player that ever played hockey was reincarnated as a 20 year old hockey player and a draft was held Gretsky or Orr would go first. Pavel would definitely be in the top ten. Yes he was that good. I watched Gretsky and Orr from the time they were rookies until they retired.

Bure was better than Lafleur, Dionne, Hawerchuk, Bossy, Mogilny and Selanne. On a relatively weak Canucks team that has always had an exhausting travel schedule he was amazing.

All this talk about Yakupov being the next Bure. If it's true, then it truely saddens me Gillis didn't find a way to get him. Bure was the most electrifying player to ever play the game. Lafleur was a distant 2nd.

Bure was undoubtedly the most talented player to ever wear a Canucks jersey, and he gave his best years to us.

If Naslund was retired on points alone (whom I disagree with being retired), then Bure should be retired for being the best player ever to wear the jersey.

read your previous replies After "Bure got his big paycheck (after the 94' run), he got selfish, going out to parties, staying past team curfew, etc. Linden isn't that type of guy who throw his own teammates under the bus and airs out dirty laundry to the media."

Basically your saying Bure did all of the above but Linden didn't, you are comparing the reason y one player has his number retired and one doesn't.As I said am done you can have your view point if you can back it up with source and if not don't damage someones character with some bs thats all. Quinn, Courtnall, Hughson, Robson,Gino all say to retire the number and I agree with them all.

About Nazzy Lester B Pearson is more respectable then the MVP because its voted by his peers in the league.This is all Bure did....

Four time Vancouver Canuck Molson Cup winner

Three time Vancouver Canuck MVP-Cyclone Taylor winner

Four time Vancouver Canuck leading scorer-Cyrus H. McLean winner

Five time Vancouver Canuck 'Most Exciting Player' winner

Most points record as a Canucks rookie

Calder Memorial Trophy (1992)

NHL First All-Star Team (1994)

Best Forward at Olympic Games (1998)

NHL Second All-Star Team (2000, 2001)

Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy (2000, 2001)

Played in NHL All-Star Game (1993, 1994, 1997, 1998, 2000,2001)

All that is missing is a Cup.With this resume he has done it all in my opinion.

You misinterpreted what I said.

You posted, "Linden has always said nice thing about Bure as a player.". And then, I posted Linden isn't that type of guy who would throw his own teammates under the bus to the media. That meant, of course Linden would be saying nice things about Bure.

As for Bure not throw his teammate under the bus, wasn't he the one who accused Linden of being the guy who leaked out the info that Bure threatened to sit out the playoffs? Wasn't he the one, who made it public, that the Canucks management was treating him unfairly and trying to take advantage of him? I don't about you, but I considered that airing out dirty laundries about the organization, just to get some sympathy.

Some of us feel that is part the job. You get millions to play hockey so you give back a little. People of all professions do it. When you do a good job of giving back, sometimes you get honoured. Performance on and off the ice, maybe not demand a trade, etc. The history of this team has shown a tendency to reward certain types of players more than others. Bure was certainly a spectacular player, but 6 seasons and the way it ended makes him a no-go for lots of fans.

If he doesn't sit out and demand a trade, it's probably already hanging.

Some of us feel that is part the job. You get millions to play hockey so you give back a little. People of all professions do it. When you do a good job of giving back, sometimes you get honoured. Performance on and off the ice, maybe not demand a trade, etc. The history of this team has shown a tendency to reward certain types of players more than others. Bure was certainly a spectacular player, but 6 seasons and the way it ended makes him a no-go for lots of fans.

If he doesn't sit out and demand a trade, it's probably already hanging.

You misinterpreted what I said.

You posted, "Linden has always said nice thing about Bure as a player.". And then, I posted Linden isn't that type of guy who would throw his own teammates under the bus to the media. That meant, of course Linden would be saying nice things about Bure.

As for Bure not throw his teammate under the bus, wasn't he the one who accused Linden of being the guy who leaked out the info that Bure threatened to sit out the playoffs? Wasn't he the one, who made it public, that the Canucks management was treating him unfairly and trying to take advantage of him? I don't about you, but I considered that airing out dirty laundries about the organization, just to get some sympathy.

Archived