The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Respect for Pat Quinn

Slegr

I became a Canucks fan in the Pat Quinn era. He did such an incredible job assembling the Canucks of the early 90s - a team that was not only skilled, but filled to the brim with character and heart.

He was GM, Coach, and always worth a soundbyte with his straight-shooting Irish jabber.

I remember, watching in the heart-broken moments that followed the Rangers Cup victory in 1994, Pat Quinn looked so devasted, but willingly spoke to CBC, and talked about how proud he was of his team, and towards the end of the segment, said, "I guess there will be another time."

Fast-forward to last year's Cup final, Pat Quinn was back on CBC, plugging those Canucks, talking about how a cup would bring legitimacy to this franchise. He had made Vancouver his home, and this former coach, GM, and player of the Canucks continues to be such a strong Canucks fan.

Now, as co-chair of the Hall of Fame selection committee, Pat Quinn was likely instrumental in placing Bure into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

IF the Canucks falter early in the 2012/13 season, and IF AV gets hung out to dry, I would love to see Pat Quinn get one more kick at the can. There's no doubt Trevor Linden would make himself available more to the organization in some sort of capacity, and a player like Bure would more likely make ammends with the franchise. It would be a healthy move for the Canucks, connecting its present with its past, and creating a championship future.

I wouldn't mind him to be a part of the organization in some capacity, but not as a coach if that's what you're suggesting...and I always wonder about why Linden is not around the franchise as much...I'd also love to see him be a part of the organization again, perhaps go through an apprenticeship like Yzerman did in Detroit

Id like P.Quinn to come back as a pro scout. He was great at identifying pro-level talent and making moves to acquire them. Kirk McLean anyone? But he also ha a few dud trades. But anyways, him in head office, do it.

Before AV's contract extension, I was preaching for him to get the job.

Pat Quinn and Mike Gillis could be like the guys in Moneyball, hopefully with a better outcome, but ya know winning 20 straight games would be pretty cool too.

I have many fond memories of the Pat Quinn era in Vancouver, he did alot of great things for this club. I also think he got the proverbial shaft with his recent stint with the Oilers franchise...hard to believe they went with Renney over Quinn for the last two seasons (unless of course the goal actually was to finish at the bottom).

Anyways yes, I would like to see Pat involved in the Canucks organization in some way or other.

I have many fond memories of the Pat Quinn era in Vancouver, he did alot of great things for this club.  I also think he got the proverbial shaft with his recent stint with the Oilers franchise...hard to believe they went with Renney over Quinn for the last two seasons (unless of course the goal actually was to finish at the bottom).

Anyways yes, I would like to see Pat involved in the Canucks organization in some way or other.

I wouldn't mind him to be a part of the organization in some capacity, but not as a coach if that's what you're suggesting...and I always wonder about why Linden is not around the franchise as much...I'd also love to see him be a part of the organization again, perhaps go through an apprenticeship like Yzerman did in Detroit

I remember the Quinn era fondly as well, however, I still have a hard time getting past his complete failure in contract negotiations with Wayne Gretzky.

Also to the OP: How would the return of Quinn "no doubt" mean that Trevor Linden would make himself more available to the Canucks?

As a fan of the Canucks since the late 70s, I can honestly say that PQ was the GM that started Vancouver's success. He was instrumental in finally bringing in talent that made the rest of the league take notice and raised the bar for subsequent GMs. I also feel he was great at getting the most out of his players. Unfortunately, in the end, I think his decision to take on both GM and Head coaching duties was more than he could handle and really took it's toll from a team stand point. I would have to think that MG would be hesitant on a move like that (if it became necessary) due to PQs potential desire to have more to do with higher levels of management with the team (it was his duty at one time). I could see clashes between them.

I do think, however, there are many similarities between this team and the teams of the 90s. I think he would do a fine job as the coach.

I have many fond memories of the Pat Quinn era in Vancouver, he did alot of great things for this club. I also think he got the proverbial shaft with his recent stint with the Oilers franchise...hard to believe they went with Renney over Quinn for the last two seasons (unless of course the goal actually was to finish at the bottom).

Archived