The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Shane Doan is the Perfect Solution for the Vancouver Canucks

Velleman

Everyone says sign Garrison like it's an easy task. Wideman just got 5.25mil for 5 years. Garrison won't be that high but he will be in that ball park.

Not sure if our team will be drastically different come October 2012. They probably can maybe afford one of Doan/Garrison/etc.

yes to doan

no to semin

but Id rather schultz + garrison

those additions would transform our PP, and give it that #1 dominance again, having a puck moving QB and a friggin bomb to work with...

up front, i like that we have competition for the role... higgins, kassian, raymond, schroeder, jensen.... im betting one of the bunch will step it up.

[Article] Shane Doan is the Perfect Solution for the Vancouver Canucks - written by.......

Michael Stuart

7172_a3f92c33a5e00fc3c4d0f6e3e905d151994_avatar9001.png

A lifelong resident of Vancouver, Michael Stuart has been a Canucks fan for a very long time. From Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final to missing the playoffs, Michael has experienced the highs, and the lows with the Vancouver Canucks. In addition to writing for the Canucks, Michael has extensively covered the Los Angeles Kings and Tampa Bay Lightning. His works have been featured on CBSSports.com as well as NHL.com. Michael is currently studying financial mathematics at the University of Alberta.

Doan doesn't fit with Gillis or MY plans.............Unless his name is Perry, Kane, Backes, Clowe or Stewart, I am not interested. I agree with post above Doan is a liability ............and he is too old for my liking.

I could be persuaded to consider some alternatives to above...........but Doan is not one of them.

Stuff we need:

Size -- check

Ability to use size.......... -- check

Leadership -- check (Kesler is a bust in this department, IMO... lead by example! :mad: )

Offensive skills; passing, scoring -- check and check

Experience -- check

Worst case scenario: pointless feud with AV that came out of nowhere. Damned frenchies...?

Solution: FIRE AV!

Trade Phoenix rights to Raymond for rights to Doan. They get a speedy winger that can keep up with Vermette. We get a vet PFWD to compliment Sedins or Kesler, and mentor Kassian/Jensen a la Sundin with Kesler.

Sign Doan to 2 years, 11 million. Respects internal equity. We get bigger, and don't really lose out on youth by spending available cap. Doan gets 2 shots at a cup, A raise, and a happy wife back in her home province.

Assign the following responsibilities:

Doan: protect twins, win cup, repeat

Doans left elbow: Jason Marchand

Doan's right elbow: Duncan Keith

Is there no one else sick of the the way this Elite team chases after players who don't deserve a place on it. I'm tired of us going for just above average players.............

We have a need and that need is for game changers. First rate quality game changers. Guys who other teams want but we want more and can "offer them a good time"

We will never win the CUP if we continue to try to penny pinch, uncover "hidden gems" or rehabilitate "injury projects" Our team needs a certain type of player and we have to face the facts that 2 or three of these type of players will cost us.

I'm as guilty as anyone in being loyal to players...........or more specifically not being prepared to see them rubbished on here by idiots. However I have always said if we are going for the "the game changer, I don't mind who we trade in the process.

I liked Cody but was never blind to his shortcomings, however he WAS an asset (then) and I think we should have used him at season's end to help get what we need NOW. I'm sure Kassian will be a decent player for us in time but I doubt it will be this year or next if we are talking Stanley. Gragnani? another project.

Schultz may or may not be a bargain, but he hasn't the qualities most of us have said we need to go the extra mile. Sure, take him if he is free and his salary is small..............but people on here are thinking he will play on the team. That kind of thinking is for those who want to go another 50 years without a CUP.

We have too many similar players, too many, all of about the same standard and as a unit they make a fine team but not one built for the war of attrition that is the Stanley Cup.

I only hope that Gillis does not take his eye off the ball as much as the people of CDC do. Wetting themselves every time a half decent player crops up and screaming "OMG, OMG we've got to get him, he'll rock in this team" Frankly it's pathetic guys / gals.

Personally I am not all that much of a Doan fan, but that article did bring up some good points about Doan. I do agree that we would make the 2nd line a lot deadlier and that is something that I would love to see. Plus I think if the Canucks do sign him and get a good defenceman then this team when Kesler gets back will be a better team than last year.

Archived