The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Updated Article] A Tale of Two Tenders: what do the numbers mean for the Canucks future

coleycanuck

I want Lu to stay! But if he goes I'd prefer him go to FLA so I can cheer for him and the Panthers and they wouldn't have to play the Canucks more than once.

But honestly if he goes there, I would not be shocked to see them make a run at the cup and possibly win it before the Canucks. Just because of where they play and the team they have. They were 1 goal away from knocking of the Devils and their only weakness was goaltending.

the current numbers mean squat!! CS has never played more than 30 games in the NHL, so how does that qualify him to be a starting goalie?? what's gonna happen when AV gives CS 65+ games and he cant handle it? who's gonna step up then? lack? climie? who havent ever played any games in the nhl? the canucks should keep both goalies and have them split the games, it gives CS more experience, and it takes some preassure off of lou. after 2 seasons of splitting the games, then CS can start playing more and lou play less until he retires. the bottom half of lou's mega contract has him earning less each year, which could be tacked on to CS's contract and both goalies could stay as canucks for many years to come. this team can, and will be a dynasty team, and they will win multiple stanley cups if they can keep LOU and schneider. the big picture that no-one seems to see is that this team NEEDS SCORING!!! so shut er down with the goalie topics and start worrying about who is gonna step up and put some pucks in the net. that is what killed us against boston, that is what killed us against L.A. and that is what will kill us next season too if MG doesnt do something asap!!

There is a rumour of a contract amnesty for the teams when the CBA is negotiated. What would happen if MG chose Luongo's contract to use the amnesty feature on. He could then sign Luo to a shorter contract and then have a much broader market to trade Luo to. He could also get a better return because no one could use the contract a deterring factor in a trade.

Seems to me that that would work in Luo's favor, the Vancouver Canucks favor as well as the new team that Luo goes to.

the current numbers mean squat!! CS has never played more than 30 games in the NHL, so how does that qualify him to be a starting goalie?? what's gonna happen when AV gives CS 65+ games and he cant handle it? who's gonna step up then? lack? climie? who havent ever played any games in the nhl? the canucks should keep both goalies and have them split the games, it gives CS more experience, and it takes some preassure off of lou. after 2 seasons of splitting the games, then CS can start playing more and lou play less until he retires. the bottom half of lou's mega contract has him earning less each year, which could be tacked on to CS's contract and both goalies could stay as canucks for many years to come. this team can, and will be a dynasty team, and they will win multiple stanley cups if they can keep LOU and schneider. the big picture that no-one seems to see is that this team NEEDS SCORING!!! so shut er down with the goalie topics and start worrying about who is gonna step up and put some pucks in the net. that is what killed us against boston, that is what killed us against L.A. and that is what will kill us next season too if MG doesnt do something asap!!

"The greatest difference going into the Vancouver Canuck's 2012/13 season will be in net, as this organization has been lucky enough to have two franchise goaltenders on the roster for too long now, and due to both Cory Schneider's looming RFA status and the way things ended for Roberto Luongo last season, it has become clear that only one goalie will remain a Canuck come September. There has been much talk of Luongo being traded over the summer, and many opinions on the matter, but there has been a lack of analysis on each player's numbers, how they differ, and what they mean for the Canuck's future.

Let's start with the basics- in the last two seasons (since Schneider has shared duties with Luongo), #1 and #35's GAA have been 2.26 and 1.86 respectively. When we enter the playoffs, Luongo's GAA rises 11% to 2.52, while Schneider's falls 26% to 1.38. This is where we begin to see the differences between the two goaltender's games, and the gap only widens from here. The standard deviation (degree to which each game is near the goalie's average GAA) between the two goaltenders is quite comparable throughout an entire season, but when we isolate the playoffs, Schneider's SDfallsby 34%, from 1.39 to 0.91, meaning be becomes more consistent, and Luongo's playoff standard deviationincreasesby 31%, from1.41 to 1.85, showing less consistency. We have seen this empirically throughout the years, but the numbers make our convictions abundantly clear."

lol knowing AV, unless he has a backup he can trust.. he's going to ride Schneider for 70+ games assuming we trade Luongo and have say Lack as a backup. with all the travels and stuff going on? i can see us knocked out again in the first round. I just hope for the sake of Luongo he gets traded to Florida, we get nothing good in return except a terrible contract which is looking more and more likely if Luongo is only willing to go to Florida, and we are back to our mediocre days of making the playoff and being knocked out in the first or 2nd round over and over again. following history we ain't gonna make the finals again for another 12-14 years anyways. so hopefully all the bandwagoners will jump off the bandwagon and maybe the ticket prices will come down again when the fake fans stop caring about the team :bigblush:

Thanks for the feedback, I know that my sample size for Schneider's playoff statistics is too small to make confident forecasts for his future, but if you read on, my main point has to do with the difference in terms of the Canucks defensive play when Schneider starts. I have now pasted the entire article, because I realize most people had just read the first two paragraphs. I'd appreciate more opinions on the piece as a whole.

Yeah Markstrom, he has played a few games already, but don't think he is ready yet. Im sure they would love to have LU and have Markstrom back up Lu. That is a MUCH better tandom then Theodore and Clemmensen. Markstrom is still very young at age 22 and I think he would develop nicely backing up Luongo just like Schnieder has.

Markstrom is a big goalie at 6 ft 6 and could very well become their franchise elite goalie, but give a few more years and he will be an NHL goalie. If Lu could give them a solid 3-4 years and mentor Markstrom after, they will be golden.

Going to be hard to see Lu go if he does, but going to FLA would be easier because I can cheer for them and the Canucks. I was pulling hard for the Panthers this playoff.

4 playoff games in his whole career, and he's consistent? There is no way to determine consistency after only 4 games. Sheesh. Keeping CS is just as much of a gamble for the team as keeping Lou is. Especially since the return would be WAY better for Shneids.

you forgot that the aliens built the pyramids, and we've never been to the moon - nasa hoax.

come on. in 5 games? Or really 2/3 games? comparable only 2.

not going to play your game though... better things to do. but if you could figure out the percentages as to why people believe in coincidences, and what percentile they are likely to believe when paying attention to coincidences as opposed to seeing what they want to see (same thing if you're paying attention still - at least empirically) then you can quantify what people believe versus what they just think they believe. that is if empirical evidence is counted as coincidence acceptance or not in each case (at least give us a % chance of being right here). then come back and talk about save % in relation to that - then we're really getting somewhere!!!

put that in your pipe and smoke it. at least I did it in less words than you did and it is more fun to read !

you forgot that the aliens built the pyramids, and we've never been to the moon - nasa hoax.

come on. in 5 games? Or really 2/3 games? comparable only 2.

not going to play your game though... better things to do. but if you could figure out the percentages as to why people believe in coincidences, and what percentile they are likely to believe when paying attention to coincidences as opposed to seeing what they want to see (same thing if you're paying attention still - at least empirically) then you can quantify what people believe versus what they just think they believe. that is if empirical evidence is counted as coincidence acceptance or not in each case (at least give us a % chance of being right here). then come back and talk about save % in relation to that - then we're really getting somewhere!!!

put that in your pipe and smoke it. at least I did it in less words than you did and it is more fun to read !

Archived