The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flames acquire Dennis Wideman and sign 26M/5 YR deal

Major overpayment. See his caphit is just about the same as Lu's but look at the calibre of players. Wideman had a solid year but other then that has been on the move a lot. Luongo speaks for himself.

Dammit, I was hoping if we traded Ballard that we could take a shot at him.

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Schultz - Wideman

(Sigh).. Oh well, he's a good player though, solid move by the flames.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399374

The Calgary Flames have signed defenceman Dennis Wideman to a five-year, $26.25 million contract after acquiring his rights from the Washington Capitals in exchange for blueliner Jordan Henry and a 2013 fifth-round draft pick.

Wideman, 29, was set to become an unrestricted free agent on Sunday.

Wideman finished in the top 10 among defencemen with 46 points, including 11 goals. He led all Capitals blueliners with 113 hits and 132 blocked shots.

More to follow.

Edit: not sure what the deal is with the gray highlighting but I can't get rid of it. If it bothers anyone, tips for removal would be helpful.

It is overpayment but not by that much. You look at Widemans stats and you will see why. In my opinion, he is a player worth just under 5 mill (ie 4.75) so yeah they overpaid him but only by 500k which is only 10% of his salary roughly. In the grand scheme of things a 500k overpayment a year is not that much.

Archived