The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider can file for arbitration on July 5th which indicates something is up.

4 million dollars would be a steal? How do you know that? You assume that he'll put up the same numbers as a starter even though he hasn't proven that.

Pavelec has played almost 200 games in the nhl and 3 seasons as a starter. He also had a deal on the table from a KHL team for 4 million dollars. The Jets hands were tied.

Schneider has put up great numbers no doubt. But that was with him having all the pressure on him deflected by Luongo. He doesn't have the track record of a number 1, so he's not going to get number 1 money.

If he wants to play a couple seasons at 3 million and prove that he is a legit number 1, then he can do that. But he's not getting 4 million based on two 30 game seasons.

He plays a few seasons at 3 mil then when that's up he'll command 6-7 mil like what Price wants. 4 million a year isn't bad for Schneider man and with the cap keep going up and what starting goalies are getting and with everything Schneider has shown and proven I'd have no issue at all paying him 4 mil a year with a 6 year term, it would be a solid move with keeping a top end talent goalie here for a long time and at a great cap hit for what should be an elite goalie.

I think it's very wishful think to think Schneider will sign for less than Pelevec we also want to get this done before sunday as if it goes that far I'm sure someone will offer that same contract to him. We all wanted a huge return for Schneider in a trade but if it comes to signing him you want to low ball him? hahaha good luck signing a goalie like Schneider who is one year away from UFA where he could get a lot of money at 3 mil....

Just to be clear on this...

Schneider as our starter. Ok. That's what I wan't too. I've seen Luongo and I know he could be a starting goalie on basically every NHL team. It's just time to move on.

Schneids plays what, 60 games?

Lack plays the 22 other ones?

That's not much in terms of experience. A bit scary. In addition to moving Luongo and signing the guys, we need to find a 'challenger' for the 2nd spot in net, and a back-up if someone goes down with injury. And there is the small window of 2 max 3 years to take the cup with the current core. And we go taking a shot at the cup with what, a combined 68 games of NHL experience? Maybe that's the plan GMMG has, but to some other GM in the league - that would be quite a gamble.

Still, fine by me. Just a thought?

I understand this is a business, but do you honestly believe Schneider wants to or will "rob" Gillis? I sincerely doubt it.

More likely, Schneider's agent isn't fielding calls from other clubs to prevent him being offer-sheeted; A man with the kind of character Schneider has will not crap where he eats.

How each camp is negotiating to maximize their own benefit.

Burke wants a deal done ASAP, and gives up as little as possible.

Gillis wants to rob Burke, but has to sign Schneider first to not get robbed by Cory's agent.

Schneider wants to wait for offer sheets and the Luongo trade to happen first so he can rob Gillis.

Schneider is the Dalai Lama all of a sudden. Just because he makes impersonations and says all the right things on camera, does not mean we the public know him. Robbing Gillis is the wrong term, squeezing Gillis for as much money as possible is a better term. His agent will try and get the best contract he can get and could mean signing offer sheets from other teams.

4 million is market value, but the point of drafting and developing your own talent is so that you can get them cheaper. Every other player on this team has done that, why should Schneider be any different?

If he's signing for 6 years, the cap hit should be around 3.5 mil. The whole point of going with Schneider is that he is younger and cheaper, yet we'd only be saving around a million dollars with that salary. How does that help us become a better team?

We want cheaper goaltending right now while our window is open so we have more cap space in other areas. That's why we will likely sign him for 3 years at 3 million now. If he proves that he's worth 6 million dollars after that, who cares? He will have obviously earned it. And if the cap keeps going up, we can afford it.

Never crossed anyone's mind that Liut stopped taking calls form the media, not MG? Pretty sure he's still talking to the Canucks. A deal will get done one way or another, even if they want to stay with Lu as CS is a more valuable trading chip with a contract than without........also doesn't say he's going to file for arbitration, just says he can.

There is a lot of grey area between the Dalai Lama and a robber. I think Schneider resides somewhere in the middle.

You won't get an argument out of me suggesting he won't try and get the best deal he can get, but the implication was that he was going to try to bend Gillis over, and I believe that to be highly, highly unlikely given that Schneider is a man of character. Not a saint. A good person, though.

Don't try to create a false dichotomy and say that because he's not the Dalai Lama that he'd "rob" (not my words) Gillis. He won't. Wait and see.

The nucks are not trading schnieds. If they were going to, they would have done it at the draft to fetch the number one or number two pick overall, ie waiting to now would be a big FAIL by MG.

It is clear lou is getting traded, too much heat, too much of a distraction in the room if he's there to start the season and Schnieds is gone.

Imagine the pressure? Schnieds go's plays well, Lou plays a bit inconsistent as he always does in Oct and now Nov, and if the players back from Schnieds don't make an impact?

People will throwing things at the ice...its become a circus and to be honest MG needs to make a deal before camp to avoid all of this garbage.

Why its such a big deal who knows, why there is so much vitreol towards lou who knows. Just silly and dumb.

Maybe he's busy? Agents get busy. Maybe he's hammering out a deal. Maybe he's waiting to talk to Cory, who's in Chicago as a player representative for the union. Maybe he's waiting until they can touch base.

Who's he stopped taking calls from? 1130 AM, MG, Telemarketers?

The most vague of posts sends everyone in a fit

Archived