The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Schneider can file for arbitration on July 5th which indicates something is up.

It's simple, really.

They aren't going to sign a long term deal until Lou is traded. Why should they?

There is probably a framework for a deal in place already. If Lou isn't traded and it looks like the canucks are stuck with him they'll go to arbitration or sign an offer sheet which the canucks will match. It's all posturing.

Lou will get traded and Schneider will be signed either to a two year arbitration or a 5-6 year deal in the $4.0-4.5 range.

I'm not worried in the least.

4 million dollars would be a steal? How do you know that? You assume that he'll put up the same numbers as a starter even though he hasn't proven that.

Pavelec has played almost 200 games in the nhl and 3 seasons as a starter. He also had a deal on the table from a KHL team for 4 million dollars. The Jets hands were tied.

Schneider has put up great numbers no doubt. But that was with him having all the pressure on him deflected by Luongo. He doesn't have the track record of a number 1, so he's not going to get number 1 money.

If he wants to play a couple seasons at 3 million and prove that he is a legit number 1, then he can do that. But he's not getting 4 million based on two 30 game seasons.

it would be great if Schneider filed for arbitration, wouldn't it? Am i not getting something? Comparable goalies to him in the league get paid peanuts (because of his experience) and that guarantees he will be a Canuck for at least two more years. It will also give us much more time to come to terms with him on a contract before his arbitration date.

I'll be surprised if Schneider signs more than a 3 year deal. By the end of three years he should have a CUP to his credit and be able to negociate the home run contract. As it sits now his body of work, while stellar' is still pretty thin. Not in either party's interest to go long term at this point.

I think a 5 year 25 million dollar offer would be pretty good value for Schneider from an opposition GM. The one thing Schneider will have to worry about signing an offer is if it is too longterm and the canucks match he may be stuck behind Luongo for as long as it takes to move him.

Having said all this, if we have to write off a year in order to do whats best for the franchise and wait for Weber so be it. No matter what if we match a 6mill+ offer for Cory then we can always trade him after. If no one bites on either of them we can always just split them 41 games a year until someone pays up.

Schneider will not get the chance to sign an offer sheet.

The Canucks will elect to take him to arbitration which protects him from receiving them. The Canucks will elect a two year arbitration decision.

Schneider is the Canuck's starting goalie now. We'd all better get used to it.

I don't think this is the case... I doubt there is anything wrong with his agent not answering his phone... I actually would expect him not to answer his phone because of all of the media attention that is going around with our goalie situation... Every little thing gets blown out of proportion and every little detail gets interpreted in the the most ridiculous ways sometimes... Also, the Schneider camp probably doesn't want to let anything slip that could potentially weaken their bargaining position. In addition, they need to be very careful what they say because they will for sure be asked about Luongo (and they know how easy it is to unintentionally add fuel to the fire)...

Just my opinion though and I could be wrong and there is something brewing behind the scenes... But usually when something really bad starts to occur, someone would eventually let something leak, and it would be all over the net...

How is a goalie who has only gotten 30 or so starts per season worth 4+ million & a multi-year deal? For all we know, he could turn out to be another Steve Mason (that worked out great for Columbus didn't it?).

3 million per year for 4 years is enough. Otherwise I stick with Luongo. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't know!

Archived