The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Filling A Void

After our great season and playoff run in 2011 we lost Christian Ehrhoff (rightfully so) to free agency and with that we lost that offensive depth on the blue-line that a ton of teams do not boast. It wasn't as huge a blow to us as it would've been to most teams mainly because of the fact we still possess a 40+ point Defenceman in Edler and secondary offence from Bieksa and Hamhuis, but it took away a huge advantage from our team.

I know people are also concerned with our lack of offence and a majority feels it's important to target another top 6 forward this offseason, but I think we are actually in need of another offensive top 4 defenseman, as it would make us more dangerous.

Now, looking at what Dennis Wideman signed for today, I figure Garrison won't come cheap despite his apparent desire to play for the Canucks. If MG is spending that kind of money on a defenseman I really hope we throw that money at Matt Carle, because in my eyes he's more proven and well-rounded than Jason Garrison and his one good season. I'd say somewhere around 5 million for 4 years would be ideal, and somewhat realistic, but it very likely could take even more than that to be in the running. If we can add him, along with say, the rumoured Justin Schultz and if Sami Salo comes back for another year, our defence could begin the 2012-2013 season in excellent shape.

Carle is very mistake prone, he needs a shutdown guy as his partner.

Even though Carle can put up 40 points, his blunders lead to many goals being scored against his own team.

Not saying Carle is not still a good player, its just it we are talking about the same money for Carle or Garrison, I would prefer Garrison.

I feel Jason Garrison is just as mistake prone, and with Ehrhoff (whom I felt isn't as good defensively as Matt Carle) we still found very good defensive pairings that worked. Plus, with Jason Garrison we really don't know what we're really getting offensively and he isn't a good puck-moving guy, which doesn't really help our team offence as a whole as much as I think Carle's skill set would. Unless we can sign him at a reduced market rate because he REALLY wants to come play in his home province, I don't want to give this guy 5+ million and become our highest paid defenceman when he was barely in Florida's top 6 last year.

I feel Jason Garrison is just as mistake prone, and with Ehrhoff (whom I felt isn't as good defensively as Matt Carle) we still found very good defensive pairings that worked. Plus, with Jason Garrison we really don't know what we're really getting offensively and he isn't a good puck-moving guy, which doesn't really help our team offence as a whole as much as I think Carle's skill set would. Unless we can sign him at a reduced market rate because he REALLY wants to come play in his home province, I don't want to give this guy 5+ million and become our highest paid defenceman when he was barely in Florida's top 6 last year.

Watching Garrison I found he was fairly reliable, the odd mistake now and then, but not mistake prone. I would rather have a player who would get us 10 points less, but be safer in our own zone. I wouldn't give either player $5+ million.

Either way, I would be extremely happy if we could get either player.

Archived