Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Lapierre as 3rd line center?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Lapierre as 3rd line center? (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you comfortable with Lapierre as a 3rd line center?

1. yes (66 votes [74.16%])

Percentage of vote: 74.16%

2. no (23 votes [25.84%])

Percentage of vote: 25.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 NUCKS4CUP 28

NUCKS4CUP 28

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,349 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:17 AM

Pahlsson's gone. MODO

Oh damn, really? That sucks ass. Did he say why he went?
Posted Image

Believe in bLUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#32 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 05:20 AM

He has the qualities, but not the consistency to log difficult minutes that AV wants to see in a third line centre.

#33 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:12 AM

I'd keep him as a 4th line center who would easily replace the 3rd line C in case of injury/poor performance.

Lappy is good, but he doesn't really have that offensive touch. (Unless he's playing with the Sedins)

Last 5 Cup Winning Team's 3rd Line C: Stoll, Kelly, Bolland, Staal, Filppula

Lappy doesn't compare to any of them, in terms of his offense.

Management should understand that Cup wining teams have 3rd line centres who can put the puck in the net. Scoring depth is extremely important. I have always advocated Cody playing 3rd line centre despite the fact that he isn't your typical 3rd line shut down centre guy. We have more than capable defensive centremen like Kesler Manny and Lappy. Pahlsson wasn't the answer we needed last year.

Many of you probably don't know much about Leafs' Grabovsky. He is small but skilled and plays hard every game. I wish we can get him in a trade with Toronto. He will give us the scoring depth down the middle that we will need to seriously compete for the Cup.
Posted Image

#34 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,069 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

Lapierre can fit the role of 3rd line Centre on most teams. However, AV is running the show. I expect AV to want a big prototypical 3C shutdown defensive checking centre = Paul Gaustaud.

#35 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

Great 4th line center. Mediocre third line center. So no.
Posted Image

#36 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 73,949 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

If there's an injury then sure. Otherwise, no.

307mg00.jpg

#37 MLT

MLT

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Management should understand that Cup wining teams have 3rd line centres who can put the puck in the net. Scoring depth is extremely important. I have always advocated Cody playing 3rd line centre despite the fact that he isn't your typical 3rd line shut down centre guy. We have more than capable defensive centremen like Kesler Manny and Lappy. Pahlsson wasn't the answer we needed last year.

Many of you probably don't know much about Leafs' Grabovsky. He is small but skilled and plays hard every game. I wish we can get him in a trade with Toronto. He will give us the scoring depth down the middle that we will need to seriously compete for the Cup.

I don't disagree with your theory and also like Grabovsky. However, he is drastically overpaid. 5.5 mil for him is just too much. Especially for a third line center. No way we take him on making more money than Kes.
Posted Image

#38 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,692 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

I know the Leafs just re-signed him so are unlikely to trade him. Someone with a cap hit of $5.5M for the next 5 seasons is not what we want for our 3rd line center anyways.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#39 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,743 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

I like the way Lappy plays and steps up but I don't see him fufilling that role full time. He doesn't seem to have the consistency there when he plays for an extended period of time. Also, AV wouldn't keep him there I don't think unless MG tells him that's how it's going to go. I would have to say no.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#40 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

We owe Max a Chance, he's done quite a bit for our team.
Posted Image

#41 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

What's that? Hamhuis, our best defensive guy right now is that bad defensively? Even Bieksa, with his risk taking and mistakes in his own end, is not really that bad to say they couldn't play shutdown with the 3rd line as a pairing.

They're more likely to play with the 2nd line and have Edler/Salo (or whoever takes Salo's minutes this year: Tanev, Garrison, Schultz, another player) play with the 1st.

Talking about the Sedins.

Posted Image

#42 tjkaemingh

tjkaemingh

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Lappy can do the job. Is there somebody out there better? Of course there always is, but who? (and at what price/cost to obtain?)
He is awesome on the fourth line, too good there probably.

If Higgins and Hansen are the wingers for the third line, it will be great regardless.
I really wish Manny was his old self. He was the perfect third line center.

Manny could fill in a bit there this year if need be. Who knows maybe he will return to his old self somehow maybe.

Otherwise I am comfy with Lappy at 3rd. His offense could be better. But he works hard, he deserves it. He is quite capable. If it is not working, MG may just go out and get another Pahlson type player later in the year......

#43 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

I know the Leafs just re-signed him so are unlikely to trade him. Someone with a cap hit of $5.5M for the next 5 seasons is not what we want for our 3rd line center anyways.

You are right about Grabo not being a prototype 3rd line centre. Kesler would make the BEST 3rd line centre of the league, but I think AV and MG are too stubborn to bring in a legit 2nd line playmakeing centre.

I mean, does it worry you that Henrik is the only playmaking centre we have on our team? That is absurd for a contender.

Imagine Hank, Grabo, Kes and Manny/Lappy as our centres... Jesus...

With a 70M cap hit I think we can fit it in as long as Lu is traded... another reason I brought up Grabovsky.

EDIT: btw I'm not fixated on Grabovsky... if there is another 2nd line playmaking centre we can realistically get I'm all for it.

Edited by CB007, 28 June 2012 - 09:52 AM.

Posted Image

#44 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

I think LaPierre has earned a promotion.

#45 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:03 AM

Almost every LA King had a bad 2011-12 regular season, in terms of scoring, despite being capable of producing much, much more. Jarret Stoll is normally around a 20-goal scorer but -- just like Mike Richards and nearly every other King this past season -- produced less than his usual output. But when the playoffs started, their skill levels all kicked in, and you saw the result. All this being said, I think Lapierre in the 3rd line C position would work for some time, but we could not follow it into the playoffs. His ceiling is so much lower than a guy like Stoll's, despite Lapierre scoring just as many goals as Stoll did this past season.

Nothing Stoll did in the past affected 2012. He scored 2 goals in the playoffs.
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#46 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

There is absolutely no reason why Schroeder can't be the 3rd line center.

Hodgson did it and the team was 1st place at the deadline. Schroeder will do fine at it.

#47 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,697 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

I like Lapierre, but he's perfect for the 4th line role. For the 3rd line I'd like to see someone with good grit but also decent scoring ability. To be a great team you need as much depth as possible.

#48 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

I think i would be ok with Lapierre as our 3rd line centre.

He brings energy, grit, and speed which is something our 3rd line players
could always use. Plus he can chip in offensivly from time to time...

#49 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

I would like to use him on the 4th, and bulid a 4th line that actually helps us in the playoffs, and build it around him.

I think we could get a good 3rd line center, who is considered kind of a 2nd/3rd tweener, then that way if something happens he can fill that role.

I think we may have an extra winger or two after free agency and trading Luongo, so if that's the case then we can use those assets to get us a center to fill that role.

Implying.

I would be happy if Lappy was our 3rd line center. He's show. He has the ability, and he does have the offensive touch that is apparently needed.

Edited by Toasta Brigger, 28 June 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#50 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,437 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Yeah that was implying, but it is in all likelihood the case.

And I just think there's someone else. plus it will help us get rid of a winger or two so we have room for Doan (Hopefully).

zackass.png

#51 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

I believe Higgins used to play center

#52 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,666 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:41 PM

I don't think he's reliable enough offensively.
Posted Image

#53 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:42 PM

If there's an injury then sure. Otherwise, no.

kesler

#54 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,701 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

4th line center and agitator is perfect for him. 3rd line might be beyond his skillset. Also, with the additional icetime he'll be hammered-on too much and that'll wear him down.

'Shutdown center' is the toughest job in the NHL and it often leads to injuries. Ask Ryan Kesler.

TOML
Posted Image

#55 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

I liked Lappy on the 4th line but since Malholtra has not played well on the third it looks like he is our best bet.
Posted Image

#56 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,947 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Wellwood back on the third line but that's probably not going to happen.
Posted Image

#57 CmdrAdama

CmdrAdama

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

No.

And Malhotra didn't show up for that role either last year. 4th liners, both of them. Malhotra of the two being a big overpayment.

Time for Jordan Schroeder to get a shot at that spot. Something in the line of Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen or something... or Jensen on the wing instead of Raymond, if he can crack the roster this year.

Not one to rain on anyone's parade, but before the eye injury, Malhotra was a steal. He's had issues since coming back, (rushing into the playoffs did not help any). Let's give him this new year to see how he's progressed. I too, wish to see Schroeder play, just don't go off on Manny, just yet. My two cents

#58 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

I like Lappy on the 4L. I'd like to see MG acquire someone like Gaustad or Stoll to play on the 3rd line
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#59 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

I know its a longshot but a Kassian-Schroeder-Jensen line would be abosutley beast
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.