The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stay classy Calgary

Calgary being a classy city as per usual. I wake up this morning, and as we all know they signed wideman to a $26M contract...

Front page of the sun "IS DENNIS WIDEMAN WORTH $26M?"

How does that make a player feel? they're probably on their way to calgary today or tomorrow (if they aren't here already) and see this?!?! holy appreciation!

How would you feel if you got a new job offer for a way better salary and people were already judging you before you had a chance to prove yourself? Disgusted.

post-85475-0-69708700-1340901903_thumb.p

post-85475-0-69708700-1340901903_thumb.p

I don't see the big deal. First of all, it has nothing to do with the city of Calgary or the people living there; it's just one stupid company trying to sell newspapers. Secondly, can you really feel bad for Dennis Wideman? Like the cover of the newspaper says, he's going to make $26 million over the next 6 years. That's probably more than any of us will make in our lifetimes. I think he's lucky the headline wasn't: "FLAMES PAY THROUGH THE NOSE FOR WASHED-UP DEFENSEMAN".

Is that any different than Vancouver media ripping Luongo?

It would be nice if there was an algorithm to calculate a players salary based on their past season statistical trends, injuries, etc. so that salaries could be reasonable again. But we are approaching FA season, with the cap hit apparently rising again. So expect every team to overpay to a certain degree.

Use your noggin, which headline will sell more

Is Dennis Wideman worth $26 Million

OR

Flames acquire star defenseman Wideman

I mean for all you know the article could go on to state that he is INDEED worth that much money and list his assets and how he fits into the Flames teams.

Use your noggin, which headline will sell more

Is Dennis Wideman worth $26 Million

OR

Flames acquire star defenseman Wideman

I mean for all you know the article could go on to state that he is INDEED worth that much money and list his assets and how he fits into the Flames teams.

It's not the newspaper's job to make players feel appreciated, it's to report the news. It's not like they said "WIDEMAN SUCKS" or "FLAMES SIGN LOSER DEFENSEMAN WIDEMAN". I don't see what's wrong with them questioning the moves the Flames make, because, to tell the truth, the Flames make a lot of questionable moves.

it's a good question.. maybe not the classiest presentation, but fair question and Feaster should be prepared to get grilled - as for Wideman, sign a contract like that with a team in Calgary's position and be prepared to shoulder high expectations and a lot of criticism.

I think they're just reiterating what alot of Flames fans are asking right now.

At first I thought the exact same thing. But if he puts up 40 points next season on a crappy Calgary team, I don't think they'll be complaining.

The questions the paper should be asking:

Is Bouwmeester worth 7 million?

Was Mark Jankowski really the best player available?

Did we really get a good package for Phaneuf?

Should we have traded Iginla and Kippursoff and started rebuilding last season?

Archived