Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Stay classy Calgary

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#31 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,705 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

Looks like a tabloid

#32 InTo ThE WiLD

InTo ThE WiLD

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:50 AM

Looks like a tabloid

I was about to say that, I mean I never read Canadian newspapers so it's not like I'm an expert but we have the same kind of stuff here and It looks like it is one of those tabloids that like making scandals

#33 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,180 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

The point is, the team just signed Dennis Wideman to a contract worth over 5 million per season. I like Wideman, but that's a very steep price to pay and I have no doubt that you would see similar headlines in newspapers anywhere in the country, if he had signed there instead.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#34 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,037 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

NO APOLOGIES!!!!!!

also, call before you dig...

#35 LostViking

LostViking

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:52 AM

Their headline should read:

Is this paper worth $2???

:bigblush:
Posted Image

#36 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:01 AM

Paper is dying... they just don't know how to do it gracefully.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#37 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 GototheFlamestotheGo

GototheFlamestotheGo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:28 AM

essentailly, yes. when we traded for him it was all about how we finally had a goalie, luongo the savior, etc... the vancouver media rips him apart for his performance.

Two completely different situations though. Luongo was seen as a savior because he was a top NHL goalie who was desperately needed in Vancouver. Plus, that trade helped get rid of a controversy magnet in Bertuzzi. The whole Luongo situation was a largely positive one and the cap hit at the time was irrelevant.

In Calgary, there is a widespread belief amongst the fanbase that the team is heading in the wrong direction. A Wideman-like signing is more for teams who are a piece or two away from contending. Calgary is no where close to that and the large majority of Calgary fans know that, which is why a question like what the SUN put out is valid. Not to mention, when a signing like Wideman happens where the team locks him up for 5 years when their core two players might not even be with the team at the end of that time-span, it creates for a more negative situation.

That being said, the first thing Wideman will learn about Calgary is to never read what the SUN puts out. It is essentially the low-grade tabloid newspaper of the city.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.