The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] J.Bernier Has Asked To Be Traded

Bernier seems like a guy who will turn out to be one of those guys who is a starter but not a top level one. The type of starter that ends up in the bottom third of starters. I think anyone that decides to take a chance on him is just looking to get by, not to make tending a strength of their team.

Bernier will still only be an RFA after next season right? I imagine that the Kings will hold on to him for the time being and ask him to suck it up and be a backup while they try to work something out.

The Kings can't be in any rush to trade him. The return for Bernier right now can't be too high and they're not in any immediate danger of losing him for nothing. They also get to keep a cheap backup for Quick. It's in Bernier's best interest to stay and play a bit more with the Kings too (assuming he does get any starts...) in order to increase his value and gain interest from other teams.

I would be surprised to see Bernier dealt in the near future.

Of course, I could be totally wrong and the Kings might be eager to ship him out.

i can see CHI and TOR being most likely...

the hawks need a talented, cost-effective goaltender to get back into playoff form... if the asking price isn't to high i really see him in chicago... and the leafs? well, insert the same crap trades we've been hearing in the luo-capades, minus a first round

The thing with Bernier is that he needs to play every night to show his true self. He's not a guy who excels at playing once every couple of weeks. The one time he played consecutive games for the Kings was when Quick became a dad two years ago and Bernier was lights out winning all 3 games while recording 1 shutout. He's excelled at every level he's played in and has done everything asked of him by Kings management.

He was on the opening night roster in '07-08 and was sent down to the AHL a few games in. He pouted and got a good talking to from management about how he needs to mature both physically and mentally. He struggled early on because he was still upset about being sent down. The next year, the Kings called up Quick midway through the season after trading Labarbera to the Canucks. Lombardi said that the reason he called up Quick over Bernier was because he had paid his dues and was slightly older. No one thought Quick would turn out the way he has. Bernier spent the next season as the number 1 in Manchester and was the top goalie in the league. He had gotten over the demotion. Eventually Bernier was called up to backup Quick. Being back in LA, it was obvious that Bernier had matured and was happy to fight for the number 1 job rather than it being handed to him. Unfortunately for him, Quick was already getting more starts because he was the number 1 already and he just kept improving so there was no reason to play Bernier more than in a back up role. Not Bernier's fault at all.

This mental maturity that Bernier went through in his time in Manchester and as a back up in LA is so underrated. There is a difference in mental toughness for players (especially goalies) who don't have things handed to them as opposed to the ones who do. This is why I believe Luongo to be mentally weak. Bernier was chosen with the 11th overall pick and has done nothing to diminish his value. He's mature, has the benefit of watching what it takes to win a Stanley Cup from up close, and has amazing talent. His style is the complete opposite of Quick's. More patient and less athletic. He almost looks like he's not putting any effort in to make the save. He will be a number 1 goalie wherever he ends up and he'll likely excel like he's done at every level.

First round pick, minimum.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived