The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We should be excited- Nicklas Jensen

nazzymx

I was browsing youtube and found this :

Oh boy I'm salivating, he looks like the real deal for me and I can't wait to see him in our lineup not next season but the one after. Seasoning in Sweden for a season won't hurt ;)

Rodin-Gaunce-Jensen :bigblush:

He's probably going to be the best player out of all of our current prospects.

I don't think he'll ever be a star in the NHL, but I could see him being a consistent 20-30 goal player.

Plus if he could bulk up a bit and get into the 200-220lb range, he could be a real force.

If Jensen was to stick with Vancouver, he would have an out-clause from the Swedish contract, the agent said. Jensen has already signed with the Canucks and his three-year entry level contract would not be affected by playing season in Sweden, Thun comfirmed.

If there's any down side to the move for the Canucks, it's that their top prospect won't be playing an NHL-style game, as he would in Oshawa, and his ice time in the SEL will be subject to a new coach.

It's an unusual move and NHL teams aren't typically wild about prospects going back to Europe, but Canucks GM Mike Gillis said his club supports Jensen's decision.

“He seems to feel he wants an advanced level of competition,” Gillis said in a radio interview on TEAM 1040. “He's a big strong guy and he showed he can play at the American League level, but unfortunately we can't put him in there this year. It's really his choice to do that, but we're going to support him in whatever direction he goes. We think he's got a chance to be a big-time player and anything that advances his development we're going to be supportive.”

Thun also said that Jensen made a quick recovery from the concussion he suffered in the playoffs with the Chicago Wolves and has had no issues. Thun said Jensen will travel to Vancouver for the Canucks' prospects camp in early July and then travel to Toronto, where he'll work with well-known trainer Bryan Marshall before heading to Sweden.

That's great to see. He looks dominating at times at the AHL level which shows a lot of promise.

I have a question: Is the 9 game rule irrelevant due to the fact that he is going to go to Sweden? Could they keep him for a 15 game tryout or longer without having to commit to the full year?

That's great to see. He looks dominating at times at the AHL level which shows a lot of promise.

I have a question: Is the 9 game rule irrelevant due to the fact that he is going to go to Sweden? Could they keep him for a 15 game tryout or longer without having to commit to the full year?

no, the 9 game rule still applies (the 9 game rule is simply that if the player is under 20, if they play less than 10 games in a season then their contract can be pushed to the next season). since he is under 20, if he plays 9 games and then goes to sweden, his contract still gets pushed to next season (we get an extra year on his ELC), if he plays 10 or more and then goes to sweden, we still burn a year of his contract.

Archived