The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Video] Debunking Many Misconceptions About Pavel Bure's Game. And Why He Was Amazing.

To all the noob's in this thread. Obviouslyy they didn't watch all the hooking that transpired. Do you have any idea how hard it is to play through being hooked and still make plays?

If he played in this era, he'd make everyone look like pylons. He'd just chip it lightly past the D, and boom cut straight to the net. That is if he didn't just blast past him.

I have seen the best of the best and NO ONE was as exciting as Bure. I have never heard someone else boast about getting 50 goals for sure in the NHL before ever playing a game, Bure did, and lived up to his word. And then some.

I don't care what happened to make him leave, his talents alone deserve to put him in the rafters. 1994 baby.

He scored 60 goals in a era of goltending that had them standing stright up most of the time.

For all we know, if the sedins played back then they could be averaging like 6 points a night EACH.

And pure snipers like ovi, stamkos, crosby could be getting like 100 goals easily.

Anyone who thought he was a cherry picker likely never actually saw him play - far from it.

Another misconception amongst the sheeple is that he wasn't tough and Gino fought all his battles for him. Sure, his buddy Gino did have his back but Pavel had a feistiness about him and was a true competitior....he could dole it out as well as take it. He didn't hesitate at going back at someone who tried to cheap shot him (many did).

I found him a pretty complete player all 'round....sure, some times it would appear that he was floating somewhat but that's just because he had the luxury of explosive speed and moves that allowed him to sit back and then take off past everyone. He could assess things as they unfolded and still jump in and take over a play.

The other thing when comparing "then" vs "now" is very much the point being made of carrying guys to the net on his back....players could pretty much drape themselves all over a player and interference and obstuction were virtually non existent. Despite this, Bure still found away around it - funny, you didn't really have the dives/moaning/whining back then either.

Anyone who thought he was a cherry picker likely never actually saw him play - far from it.

Another misconception amongst the sheeple is that he wasn't tough and Gino fought all his battles for him. Sure, his buddy Gino did have his back but Pavel had a feistiness about him and was a true competitior....he could dole it out as well as take it. He didn't hesitate at going back at someone who tried to cheap shot him (many did).

I found him a pretty complete player all 'round....sure, some times it would appear that he was floating somewhat but that's just because he had the luxury of explosive speed and moves that allowed him to sit back and then take off past everyone. He could assess things as they unfolded and still jump in and take over a play.

I had the privilege of meeting Bure and Odjick in his second year with the Canucks. Bure was a quiet and humble person who obviously let out his emotions when scoring goals. Cliff Ronning said it best. "I have never met anyone who loved to score goals the way that Pavel did."

It was unfortunate that the majority of the Vancouver fans quickly turned on him as his contract issues escalated with the former Canucks ownership. Presently, the same can be said for Luongo but the difference being, that Luongo decided to make it public. There was a clause that was clearly stated in Bure's contract that he was to be paid, regardless of a work stoppage. In the '94/'95 season, there was only 48 games played due to a player lockout that affected the first half of the season. The Canucks ownership refused to pay Bure and withheld his salary, even though they had agreed to the clause in his contract.

Bure continued to play his heart out and refused to talk to the media about any issues pertaining to his contract. He never once complained or went public with any issues in regards to a trade or what was owed. I am certain that MG can attest to that as he was Bure's agent during his tenure with Vancouver. Pat Quinn was caught in the middle as ownership tied his hands from honouring Bure's contract. Quinn was evidently disgusted with ownership and did not try to hide his feelings on the matter. He praised Pavel for the way that he conducted himself on and off the ice. The reason why Quinn still speaks very highly of Pavel and what he brought to the Canucks organization. For if it were not for Quinn's law background, savvy homework and the game sheets that he dug up from Russia, the Canucks would have never been able to steal him in the draft. As every other team, including the NHL, did not think he was eligible until the following year.

Pavel Bure was the most exciting player that I have ever seen, and probably will ever see again. I have yet to see any NHL player, past or present, bring an entire arena out of their seats. Pavel did this, not when he was about to score a goal, but rather, when he gained possession of the puck, in his own end of the rink. Bure, Mogilny and Fedorov also formed the most potent line in junior hockey history. I am thankful to have been able to see, not just an amazing hockey player, but an incredible athlete. Just my two cents.

Cheers

On the contrary, i watched every game he played for the canucks. And HE WAS a cherry picker, especially after he wrecked his knee, when his blade got stuck between the boards and the ice.

So then how do you account for the end to end rushes where he skated around guys like their skates were stuck in the ice? You mean you didn't see those?

So then how do you account for the end to end rushes where he skated around guys like their skates were stuck in the ice? You mean you didn't see those?

Dude was so fast, he could cherrypick and still make an end to end rush.

Archived