The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Cory Schneider Signed! - 3 Years, $4 Million Cap Hit

With all this Luongo vs Schneider talk... Is anyone else just happy to see one of our prospects turn into something so exciting?

Schneider is so long in the making, and I've been hearing for years how this guy will never live up to his potential and is basically a bust because he wasn't a starter after two years.

The Canucks organization has put in some serious work into this kid. It would be such a shame to ship him off just as he's about to make it all pay off. I'm a huge Luongo fan, but there's something about homegrown talent that I just can't help but love.

Very excited for next season!

Again where in the book it says that every player has to take a discount. What he got was fair value and allows the Canucks to set him up for a discount on his next contract when his current contract expires. It's not that a hard concept to grasp. Do you not remember when the Canucks had to pay Luongo for 27 million with NO playoff experience? Fair value at the time. Same thing with Schneider.

What?! Yeah because there are teams are not willing to give up a 3rd and a 1st for Schneider especially for the asking price on him?!

Thanks for the good chuckle thank God you are not MG.

Give him a contract that's less....well thanks genius. You think amg didnt think about that? You really lbelieve that they came with 4 and that waa that? The Canucks probably said 3.5 for 5 years, Schneider probably said no countered with 4.5 for a longer term and Canucks and Schneider probably came upon the median which would have been 4. You see the simple logic there or was that too hard for you to comprehend?

You can put that blame on the Sedins also. Why not trade them while we're at it?

Where were the goals, is Luongo supposed to score now too?

Also where was the Defence that let all those players just have 2 on 1's and have all those breakaways?

It's always easy to blame things on the goalie.

I'm so glad this signing happened; now M.G. has maximum leverage in terms of whether or not to make a move, and his hand can't be forced by offer sheets or by refusals to waive NTCs. $9M in salaries? NBD. The cap's going up to $70 (at least $68 I believe?) and teams that want QUALITY, SIGNED goalies in their prime who can win will pay to get them. Of course, if Lu doesn't want to go and another team makes an offer, I'd be happy to sell Cory if it means strength for other areas of weakness on the team.

Solid move.

Just because it's a good idea to send an offer sheet, doesn't mean that GMs will do it. Look a BB, he hates offer sheets, and I can bet that he isn't the only GM that feels that way.

And 3.5 is a high starting value in a negotiation. The Canucks should have started at 3 max.

I know how it works, and I think things could have gone better.

Has someone dropped you on your head lately? Not everyone take discounts here. Is this the place to play, the ultimate supertown & team? Gimme a break! Before you were born, players like Bure, Mogilny and Messier took huge discounts to play here, ya? And when you were still a child, a goaltender, Roberto Luongo took a major discount of a deal to get a chance to play here as well...

Again...why?!

Here let me write this in modern terms. If you are an employee at a company all your co-workers are making decent money but they took a discount in replacement to help the company to succeed. However, those employees have proven themselves and they agreed to take raise but not too much in exchange for stability and to see help the company succeed. Now if you're a guy who is getting promoted form PT to FT, you are obviously going to take whatever you can that makes sense for you financially as well as the company. Once you have worked full time for a while and you have proved to your employer that you are everything they expected you to be, you will ask for stability and wouldn't mind if your raise isn't as high proving that not only do you care about yourself but you care about the culture of the company as well.

Now is that so hard to understand? The same thing happened with Luongo and if you think Luongo is getting paid 5.33 yearly you clearly don't know how the CAP works....

Archived