The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Cory Schneider Signed! - 3 Years, $4 Million Cap Hit

Great job Gillis. It's going to be a sad end of an era as a man who has poured his heart into the team and might as well be the greatest franchise goaltender (barring a Cup from Schnieder, but I hope he does) may well be leaving. Now the speculations really get tense.

You do know that Luongo didn't take a discount right?

$10,000,000 $10,000,000 $0 — $5,333,333 2011-12 $6,716,000 $6,716,000 $0 — $5,333,333 2012-13 $6,714,000 $6,714,000 $0 — $5,333,333 2013-14 $6,714,000 $6,714,000 $0 — $5,333,333 2014-15 $6,714,000 $6,714,000 $0 — $5,333,333 2015-16 $6,714,000 $6,714,000 $0 — $5,333,333 2016-17 $6,714,000 $6,714,000 $0 — $5,333,333 2017-18 $6,714,000 $6,714,000

Yeps that's a great discount.

Take it easy bud, I've been a fan since the early 90's. Comparing different eras is a very weak argument. A lot has changed since the Bure days.

Last I checked, every player that we signed has been at a discount price. Yes, signing Lu at 5.33 is a better deal than Cory at 4.

Canucks got ripped on this one, Schneider is no where near as good as Luongo but he's being paid almost the same amount. That's a lot of trust being put into an unproven kid in comparison to one of the league's best.

I hope MG keeps both goalies and makes a decision next season when he has to, because right now with the cap roof increasing he can comfortably keep both goalies for 9 million.

Luongo did not sign a discount deal with us. They made a trick deal to lower his cap hit so that we could afford him when his asking price was too high and he didn't take that discount deal. Luongo has been my favorite on the team since day 1 here. I'm debating this because your intel on this issue is just wrong.

I'm using it as an argument. Lu was a steal at 5.33? Yeah if he was a steal, he would be easy to dump right now. Why is that? Think to yourself for a second. Those proven employees are the ones who have taken discounts. IE the players you speak of...Kesler...Burrows (who is a STEAL.)...Sedins...Edler wasn't a steal and Bieksa is FAR from a steal.

Anyways for all those who want to continue with the conversation on how this was a fair value contract carry on. Nothing to see here. Kid clearly has no clue what he's talking about. Especially when he doesn't know when Luongo has fallen out of favour with the organization and the fans. This is coming from a huge Luongo fan but anyone who thinks this was the wrong move to re-sign Schneider to protect him from Offer Sheets need to seriously understand the business of hockey.

Offer Sheets aren't even used no more is a terrible argument. You cannot predict the thought process of the organization, and let alone if we are to match the offer sheet we are most likely paying more than 4 million. THINK people.

It's funny how some of you luongo lovers keep saying that the fans and media ran him out of town, really? If Schneider was not a Canuck this would not be an issue and luongo would still be here. It's the simple and correct decision to go with the younger, cheaper and better goaltender. Luongo was a great goaltender and will be missed but please stop saying the fans ran him out of town, because luongo asked for a trade due to the fans right? Just ridiculous. Stop making excuses.

Archived