Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[SIGNING] Cory Schneider Signed! - 3 Years, $4 Million Cap Hit

Signing

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
627 replies to this topic

#391 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

new rule of thumb: if you don't have at least 2000 posts your not a true fan!!!!

not fair, I've been a fan since 1975! That shouldn't make me less of a fan with lower post count. I want to see more hitting, fore checking in the other zone, wear them down in their own zone. I miss the Sandlak and Odjick days somewhat. We are a better overall team now, but I do miss the hard hitting "wear the other team down" effort.

#392 Islandboss

Islandboss

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Funny lou Tweeted that Cory will be a star is this league and not directly a star with the canucks.I'm a big fan of Cory over lou but any chance Cory is worth even more now he's locked in and the canucks are gonna hit a homerun trading him and keeping lou.Very far fetched idea I know but anything is possible.
A statistician is a person who draws a mathematically precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.

Kelly is a great gal

#393 Neversummer

Neversummer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

I'm kind of surprised at the terms. 12 mill for 4 years is about right .. 12 mill for 3. If Schneids agree to a contract before the competition starts on July 1st, I expected it to be in the $3-3.5 mill range.

Only good thing was that it wasn't $60 mill for 11 years or something stupid like that.

#394 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:16 PM

Or he's ensuring the deal is done to help better his case for deals - especially if there isn't one in place. Hard to say which, with any certainty.

I was more talking about the announcement of the signing, not the signing itself. He could have kept it under-wraps for a few days while he worked on a deal for Lu. But he chose to announce it on a Thursday night. Some would say it lowers his negotiating power signing a new goalie when he hasn't traded the current one. Of course, there are those who would say it doesn't matter.

My take is, why risk the 'possibility' that it lowers your bargaining power and just hang on to the news until you 'have' to release it (i.e. when he could be open to offer sheets). I think the only reason he risks releasing this info is cause he has a deal already in the works - and it's therefore not a risk.

#395 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:17 PM

RyanKeslord17 has guaranteed a Cup? That's virtually a lock.

Thanks, because everything I say HAS to to be absolutely factual. There is no such thing as adding a little optimism to a good signing.
Posted Image

#396 Yellow Canuck

Yellow Canuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

thank you to Roberto Luongo for being the best goalie this franchise has had, i dont see you sticking around now though. Congratz to Schneids on a well deserved contract

#397 Monty085

Monty085

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:25 PM

You're right, we are what we are still because of Luongo: a team that has never won the stanley cup.

So Luongo was our goalie in 1982 and 1994 as well?

#398 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,007 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

I may be a very small minority, but I hope they keep both going forward.

9+ million for 2 goalies..i dont think that this is an good ideawelcome back cory and all the best for lui..he was great for our nucks but we need that change....

#399 derr12

derr12

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:29 PM

Kind of hard to do when he has yet to play more than 35 games in a season. I hope you aren't expecting him to be perfect all year that is an unfair expectation

His Puck-handleing abilities give my eyes herpes. He reminds me of pre-groin Lou. Even does the lou flop when desperate. Our goalie coach will fix his stick skills within a year or two and i hope we get to see a two goalie system for at least a couple more years (we need the time to work out the kinks in our d-corp). I dont see why we cant have both goalies. It's an embarrasment of riches!

#400 Believe-in-blue23

Believe-in-blue23

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,095 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

Great signing! DeSchneid is back in business! Pretty fair contract, actually think we got him at a bit of a bargain because I think he could have gotten more if he hit the market (look at Pavelec and the Jets).
Guess that means Lou's time in Vancouver is over. Thanks for everything Roberto, and best of luck to you and your family wherever you may go.

Go Canucks Go!

#401 TheGhostOfRazor

TheGhostOfRazor

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

I miss the Sandlak and Odjick days somewhat.

Miss and Sandlak go together perfectly. That guy could be 2 feet in front of an open net and put it over the glass...it was incredible!

I get what you are saying about old-time hockey though. I miss it sometimes too. I just hope the NHL can figure out a way to still have those elements as the game gets faster and faster. Currently, the game is a mess. Right now the game is just as bad as it was in the few years prior to the last lockout.
Busy cultivating useless good taste.
Posted Image

#402 derr12

derr12

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

So Luongo was our goalie in 1982 and 1994 as well?

Fans would only give him credit for those if the team lost and there was a riot... oh wait.
Actually, the canucks were very deep upfront. could you imagine the 1994 team if they had luongo in net? that woulda been a juggernaught

#403 TheGhostOfRazor

TheGhostOfRazor

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

Fans would only give him credit for those if the team lost and there was a riot... oh wait.
Actually, the canucks were very deep upfront. could you imagine the 1994 team if they had luongo in net? that woulda been a juggernaught

I'm going to guess that you aren't old enough to have watched the 94 season. Kirk McLean was a monster.
Posted Image

#404 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

9+ million for 2 goalies..i dont think that this is an good ideawelcome back cory and all the best for lui..he was great for our nucks but we need that change....

Perhaps, but i'm not opposed to 9+ in net, just yet. So, where can we spend to the cap? We have no other big names to sign this year. Unless there is a big FA signing, which I'm not counting on( Weber, Parise, Suter). Even with Schneids and Lou, we can still do Garrison, Schultz, Doan and still have space potentially?

#405 B_a_M

B_a_M

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:39 PM

This is the problem. 27 goalies from McLean to Lu...and now we are chasing Lu out. the long term fan in me is looking at a dozen years of 20+ goalies to come.

The Canucks never really had a solid goalie like Cory Schneider develop as long as he did. Look at all the goalies at the time.

Felix Potvin just could gel with the team, traded to LA and he really caught fire.
Corey Hirsch A lot of hype but never lived up to it
Artus Ibre his style wasn't good for the NHL
Sean Burke I think was one the better goalies the canucks had but still didn't get a fair chance
Kay Whitmore Career back up
Kevin Weeks never really fit into the teams system
Dan Cloutier was a fan favour but just wasn't the best goalie around
Alex Auld another career back up

That is all I can think of, but like I said Schnieder is the first really good goalie "propsect" the Canucks ever had and he was never rushed which we are all seeing what happens when you are patient with a player while developing. I will be first to say that the 4mil cap hit is a bit much but the potential is deftainly there. Luongo should be traded by the weekend.

#406 hockeyking

hockeyking

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

I'm going to guess that you aren't old enough to have watched the 94 season. Kirk McLean was a monster.

I think Luongo was a monster in the 2011 playoff run but the fans needed somebody to blame the lose on.

#407 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

Now everyone will come on here and say how much they love Lu and they'll miss him, when really it's BS. Most of the people on here couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Well now you got your wish. Time to rejoice I guess.

Not I, great news.

#408 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

contracts higher than i expected... i mean i love schneids and hope he's our starter, but i figured if his cap hit was going to be that high it would be for like a 5 year. he is relatively unproven in a full NHL season - i have confidence in him - but facts are he has only played 33 games in a full NHL season... unless MG knows for sure luongo is going somewhere soon, i figured a former player agent could have worked out something better.
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#409 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:43 PM

To be fair, Alex Auld looked like he could be a starter before he got his chance with the Canucks

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#410 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

To be fair, Alex Auld looked like he could be a starter before he got his chance with the Canucks

Ok, we get it now let's support the team.

#411 TheGhostOfRazor

TheGhostOfRazor

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,911 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

The problem between Kirk and Lu was one man named Brian Burke. That dude just has no clue when it comes to goaltenders.
Posted Image

#412 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,913 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:47 PM

Gillis: “Very good player, good person, good teammate. Why wouldn't you want to have someone like that part of your organization?"

307mg00.jpg

#413 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,860 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:48 PM

Ok, we get it now let's support the team.

I'm saying that Auld could have been a starter, but he was hung out to dry in 05-06. Then he went to Florida where it all went downhill.

Nothing to do with Schneider or supporting the team.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#414 Nino

Nino

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,540 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

I'm saying that Auld could have been a starter, but he was hung out to dry in 05-06. Then he went to Florida where it all went downhill.

I'm reading your posts, it's not supporting the team just Lou.

Drop it and move on.

Edited by Nino, 28 June 2012 - 09:50 PM.

#415 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,798 posts

As per Mike Gillis at Summer Summet! Said agreement was met 15 minutes ago.

Gillis drops the bomb "like a boss!"

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper
#NHL signing. Canucks agree on new 3 year deal worth 12M with G Cory Schneider. 4M is his new cap hit.

Pavelec and the Jets just cost us half a million dollars by signing their contract. They upped the price on young goalies. Still not a terrible contract if Schneider turns out to be as good as Quick.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#416 The Great Dane

The Great Dane

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

This proves nothing about the progress of the Luongo deal. All this proves is that it's Schneider as the future of this team. Those doubts that lingered shouldn't be there anymore!

#417 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,937 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Settle down kids it's going to be a long summer. If Luongo gets traded and nets us a top 6 forward prospect, and a defensive prospect and a draft pick then as far as I'm concerned the Linden trade is the trade that just keeps on giving.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#418 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Yeah, I totally agree. I dont think we'll ever have as dominant of a season as the last 2 when Luongo leaves. The thing that makes me want to trade one of them is that we just don't have a strong enough offense once the playoffs hit. We need a legit top 6 sniper/playmaker. No one on this team can snipe. Hawks and Oilers have us beat when it comes to that. We are a great hard working team, but Kesler can't dangle. It's one of the reasons why we're so bad in the shootout. I hope we can get some young top 6 player out of the luongo trade.

we need a legit number 1 dman actually.

#419 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

I may be a very small minority, but I hope they keep both going forward.

Yeah, a minority of one. Every minute Luongo remains (offically) a Canuck makes me dislike him more.

#420 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:53 PM

I disagree completely auld had great games but when it mattered he always let in weak goals.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.