The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

why just 3 years?

Super_Canuck

Can someone please explain why they would only agree to a 3 year deal? and not longer? Corey is hitting his prime and will obviously still be in his prime 3 years from now, don't you guys think that we should've done a long term deal? Like 5-6 years? Quick got a 10 year deal (i'm not in favour of that long of a deal, having learned from the Luongo experience) Carey price is apparently set to sign for 6-7 years as per Bob Mckenzie

Schneider in my books is just as good as those guys. I hope 3 years from now he doesn't become too expensive that we are unable to re-sign him.

Long term contracts are a scam that rarely play out well.

Many fans believe Gilllis is a geneous for for signing players to "homer" deals,

If Gillis is a geneous then aren't the players dupes for falling for these "deals"?

The truth is all deals are like 2 sided coins. Short deals give a rate (hi or low) and a short window to justify being worth that amount, more or less. Then you have to do it again.

Long deals have that "locked in" quality, that on one side shows long term "Belief & Support" by the team to the player, and vise versa.

The flip side is insecurity that the player will become worth "too much" in the future and the team will not be able to sign that p

layer in the future.

IMO the best deal Gillis signed was Raffi for $1 mil / 1 year. Raffi had something to prove, Gillis could choose after 1 year if he wanted more.

If the Canucks chose "Character guys" and the Canucks are a "Character organisation" as Gillis keeps assurting then they should have no problem signing players to short deal at fair rates.

Bandwagoneer ginger groupies.

Laughable how 3 months ago their argument was Schneider was 100% ready to be starter and his stats prove it. While the real hockey fans argued he is not ready and his stats are artificially pumped because of Luongo.

Now I'm reading tones of caution and uncertainty.:D :D :D

Roberto Luongo's 12 year contract is only talked negatively because of Cory Schneider. His stats prove that he is a worth 5.3 mil/year for 12 years. The people that think he's overrated are bandwagoners. They've only seen Cory Schneider and his performance in the finals last year compared to Luongo. And wonder why he's paid 5.3 mil/year compared to Schneider's contract. If Cory Schneider hadn't emerged as a starting goalie, would Luongo be talked about so negatively? No. A 92.8% save percentage in 2011 and a 92.0 save percentage in 2012 gives no reason why Luongo is overrated and has a bad contract.

I think it's a solid contract. It provides enough time for Schneids to adjust to being a starter and gives MG a short contract that ensures that Cory is going to be a solid starter. Schneider can now rest comfortably knowing that the starting position is his. He seems to be a loyal guy and reaching a fair contract after this one should be no problem. Good work MG. I thought we were headed for serious issues regarding goaltenders. I'm relieved it's over.

Bandwagoneer ginger groupies.

Laughable how 3 months ago their argument was Schneider was 100% ready to be starter and his stats prove it. While the real hockey fans argued he is not ready and his stats are artificially pumped because of Luongo.

Now I'm reading tones of caution and uncertainty. :D :D :D

Schneids is great....But not ready. He will never come close to Luongo's standard which is the sad thing of all. Luongo has been putting us at the top of the stack for a few years now that next season will feel like 10 steps backwards. They will turn on the ginger. Oh yes, the bandwagoneer groupies will turn on the ginger. 3 years will be just right. 2 would have been more suitable. Because in 2, Schneids is gonna want to get the fuhhhhc out!

$4million?

All this fuss over a $1.3 million savings. Good thing we're ushering Luongo and his "terrible" contract out the door.

I'm surprised Gillis didn't just offer him Luongo's contract.

It's a little more than I expected. However, Schneider has done his time, plenty of it, and paid his dues for this organization, all the while remaining mum about his future as the clock kept ticking. He's earned it, good soldier that he is.

Vancouver has depth at the goalie position. In 3 years, Lack should be ready to step it up....that gives the Canucks options should Cory want too much money down the road.

It's a good deal signing him for only 3 years......look how everybody and their dog badmouthed Luongo for signing a long term contract. Three years will take a lot of that pressure of Schneider.

Vancouver has depth at the goalie position. In 3 years, Lack should be ready to step it up....that gives the Canucks options should Cory want too much money down the road.

It's a good deal signing him for only 3 years......look how everybody and their dog badmouthed Luongo for signing a long term contract. Three years will take a lot of that pressure of Schneider.

Roberto Luongo's 12 year contract is only talked negatively because of Cory Schneider. His stats prove that he is a worth 5.3 mil/year for 12 years. The people that think he's overrated are bandwagoners. They've only seen Cory Schneider and his performance in the finals last year compared to Luongo. And wonder why he's paid 5.3 mil/year compared to Schneider's contract. If Cory Schneider hadn't emerged as a starting goalie, would Luongo be talked about so negatively? No. A 92.8% save percentage in 2011 and a 92.0 save percentage in 2012 gives no reason why Luongo is overrated and has a bad contract.

Eddie says, hey ************, do NOT forgot about me ****** ******** or I'll rip your ******* heart out, shove it down your ******* throat and then pull it out of your ******** ass using your ******** ***** of a mother's hands.

:)

It's not so much that we only signed him to 3 years, but more likely Cory Schneider didn't want to sign this contract for longer than 3 years. It's a good fit from both sides, the Canucks lock up Schneider for the next three years which arguably could be considered the rest of our window length to win the cup given the age of the current core, and depending on how well our prospects integrate and become part of the core.

If we win the cup within the next 3 years, then all things should be pointing in our direction and we can give Schneider a 5-6 year deal after this one worth a bigger cap hit. If not, and it makes sense, Gillis can go in a different direction and rebuild. In which case Schneider likely wouldn't want to sign a long term deal with a rebuilding team.

This contract length is all about providing options for both parties, and in my opinion it's the most sensible approach.

Archived