Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

If Loungo gets traded, who backs up Schneider?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
107 replies to this topic

#31 Hafizzle

Hafizzle

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

I see a veteran backup like Auld, Raycroft, Biron, etc. I don't think that they will put a rookie starter and a rookie backup in at the same time.

As much as Schneider is likely going to be a good goalie, there are going to be bad games and stretches of bad games. Having a steady veteran presence to throw in will be useful.

If the trade is with Florida, I suspect Theodore might be coming back our way just to free up dollar for them, and he would be a pretty solid insurance policy at a cheap price.

This. There is no way management leaves the entire goaltending position to 2 rookies. Lack could still benefit from 1 more year in the AHL so getting a veteran for a season to back up Schneids would probably be the best option.

#32 Danthecanucksfan

Danthecanucksfan

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

we should trade for someone's rights, or just grab a veteran in the free agency, I think Marty turco is available? Unless he retired, and I don't think Boston re-signed him

#33 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

Whoever it is, I hope we don't go back to the days of having Luongo the superstar, and then the crapty backup playing only 10 games a year. I want a trustworthy, hopefully veteran backup who can handle a decent share of the games so we don't overload Schneider in his rookie year. Plus we need insurance in case Schneider is injured.

#34 Bo Horvat

Bo Horvat

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:22 PM

I doubt Lack is the backup next year. They can't completely strip Chicago of their starting goaltender. Plus, Lack would benefit more from another season (at least) as a starter down in the AHL. If Luongo gets traded, the best route for this franchise to take would be to sign a free agent goaltender for cheap to a 1 or 2 year deal. That way, you give Lack enough time to cultivate and develop his skills properly as a starter rather than rushing him to the NHL and leaving him to sit on the bench all season.
Posted Image

#35 Monty085

Monty085

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:26 PM

I think it's pretty obvious Lu is getting traded, unless you think we are keeping both goalies for the next 3 years +.

The cap is going up, they could both easily still be here at the beginning of next year. Then they make the move at the trade deadline

#36 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,947 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:42 PM

Preferably sign someone reliable. Who that is? Who knows. Lack, maybe will fill in and all will be well.
Posted Image

#37 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:07 AM

Didn't the management state Lack was NHL ready and could get a real shot at it next year?
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#38 dura_mater

dura_mater

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

If Luongo wants out, there's no sense in keeping him. And that seems to be the reality. I think its naiive to think Luongo will be here next season. But we will see.

Dont buy into all this media hype. Luongo never said he wanted to be traded. He said he'd be WILLING TO WAIVE HIS NO TRADE CLAUSE IF IT BENEFITED THE TEAM. There's a huge difference. I'd be willing to relocate clinics I worked at if my boss felt it was best for the company. This doesn't mean I want to though.
"BoKnows53"
My stinky team isn't on top of the Standings anymore Waah waaahh, fire everyone because I say so

- New Era Canucks Fans

#39 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,950 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:19 AM

Lack as back up or else he goes back to Sweden, I can't remember where I read it but take it as a quote of a quote. I'd hate to lose Lack for nothing...

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#40 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:29 AM

Funny how Eddie Lack is considered to be the next Luongo!

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#41 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,378 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:30 AM

hope Theodore comes back as part of the package of Lu.

Lu for Matthias, Theodore and Ellerby? (Optimistically push for Versteeg instead of Matthias)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#42 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

How can they say Lack did not do well his numbers were stellar best goalie in AHL Same numbers in playoff pressure games also Surprised Toronto hasn't made a pitch for him

http://theahl.com/st...yer.php?id=3785

leafs already have 2 ahl goals in the nhl why would they want another..

Posted Image

Posted Image

#43 vwnuck

vwnuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:41 AM

The cap is going up, they could both easily still be here at the beginning of next year. Then they make the move at the trade deadline

the cap is going up to like 70 mill.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 NuckNuckNucks

NuckNuckNucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:46 AM

The bandwagoneer groupies will have Ginger love for maybe half a season and then they will eat him up and spit him out just like every other goalie we've had. Hell, if they can do it to the most successful goalie in Canuck history, ginger stands no chance. I feel bad for what he's going to endure.

You can forget the Stanley Cup in this lifetime kids. Luongo was one of the key elements that gave us a chance.
You have to be a true bandwagoneer if you buy Mike's line about looking for the right deal to trade Luongo.

True fans and hockey diehards know, that is double talk for, "Luongo is a high ticket commodity now or next year, we'll keep him around just in case Schneider turns out to be a lemon and chokes games."

And choke he will.

I know this. I'm never wrong.

#45 johnnywishbone

johnnywishbone

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:50 AM

I will,,,im gonna put a sheet plywood behind me ,,we will go 82 and 0 Regular Season and 16 and 0 in the playoffs,,I will have a o.oo gaa and I will do all this for free
English Bob: A plague on you. A plague on the whole stinking lot of ya, without morals or laws. And all you whores got no laws. You got no honor. It's no wonder you all emigrated to America, because they wouldn't have you in England. You're a lot of savages, that's what you all are. A bunch of bloody savages. A plague on you. I'll be back.

#46 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:40 AM

The will probably sign someone to challenge for the spot. But Lack, rookie or not, should get the job.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#47 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:52 AM

Lack + maybe Mark Dekanich as a back-up back-up.
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#48 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:47 AM

Let's be clear.

We are NOT heading into a Best Goalie and Best Backup situation if Lu leaves. ...............Our goalie standard even if Schneider IS as good as Lu is, over a whole season, will be weakened a lot by Lack (just now) and a good bit by going out and spending money for an experienced backup.

This is why this move NEVER made any sense to me.

Lu has the "broadest shoulders" (I genuinely think that's why Cory got on so well with him) in the league and would quite happily carry us through virtually a whole season. Cory has shown signs he is very good ..........but yet to prove it over a pressure cooker season...............could we expect Lack to carry the load if Cory is misfiring?.........I doubt it. So we weaken the whole scenario of ditching Lu and sticking with Cory, by spending money on someone who is likely to be reliable.

Meanwhile (man, I see this happening) Lu goes to SC glory because someone puts a defence which actually defends in front of him.
Kevin.jpg

#49 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,597 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:00 AM

Lack has been great in the games I've seen him, and he had big numbers in the AHL. Much like Schneider in the past.

Either it's Lack, or a FA that MG signs.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#50 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:08 AM

Lack + maybe Mark Dekanich as a back-up back-up.

Deakanich would be a good pickup, but I don't think he fits here. With Schneider and Lack ahead of him, and Cannata behind him, I think he gets pushed out of the picture pretty quickly here. I see him fitting best with a team like New Jersey who doesn't have much goaltending in the pipeline.

#51 wrath_jason

wrath_jason

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

Kelly Hrudey?

#52 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:17 AM

Brodeur, why not, let's just be crazy and throw things out there since we're already assuming Cory is the starting goaltender next season! =S

#53 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

I think we'll keep both. Gillis isn't gonna take a lowball offer.
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#54 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

Whoever backs up Schneider (if that's what ends up happening) better be good. If they aren't, you'll see Cory getting more and more starts and he's hasn't proven that he can handle a Luongo-type workload. I hope he knows what he's getting himself into.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#55 John.Tallhouse

John.Tallhouse

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

Luongo backs him haha!
Posted Image

#56 ssir_78

ssir_78

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

He had a rough start to the year but settled in and was much better in the last half and playoffs. I'd say he'd benefit from another year in the AHL, but certainly capable as a backup at this point.

Just noticed your sig, pretty sure it was Japan that bombed Pearl Harbour not the Germans

#57 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,196 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

Just noticed your sig, pretty sure it was Japan that bombed Pearl Harbour not the Germans

little rusty on your classic cinema?

#58 andynd

andynd

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:00 AM

I would like to see Clime come up a bit older more of a back up goalie than Lack is, just let Lack grow with the Wolves.

#59 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,632 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

Sign Scott Clemensen
Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#60 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

Brodeur. I heard he is testing free agency . . .

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.