The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Loungo gets traded, who backs up Schneider?

Blood Fiend

How did Lack do last year in the AHL? I thought I recalled Gillis saying that he isn't quite NHL ready yet but don't quote me on that.

We might have to get someone cheap via free agency.

Apparently Dan Cloutier was working with the goalies at Prospects Camp today. Road to a comeback? :lol:

I see a veteran backup like Auld, Raycroft, Biron, etc. I don't think that they will put a rookie starter and a rookie backup in at the same time.

As much as Schneider is likely going to be a good goalie, there are going to be bad games and stretches of bad games. Having a steady veteran presence to throw in will be useful.

If the trade is with Florida, I suspect Theodore might be coming back our way just to free up dollar for them, and he would be a pretty solid insurance policy at a cheap price.

Whoever it is, I hope we don't go back to the days of having Luongo the superstar, and then the crapty backup playing only 10 games a year. I want a trustworthy, hopefully veteran backup who can handle a decent share of the games so we don't overload Schneider in his rookie year. Plus we need insurance in case Schneider is injured.

I doubt Lack is the backup next year. They can't completely strip Chicago of their starting goaltender. Plus, Lack would benefit more from another season (at least) as a starter down in the AHL. If Luongo gets traded, the best route for this franchise to take would be to sign a free agent goaltender for cheap to a 1 or 2 year deal. That way, you give Lack enough time to cultivate and develop his skills properly as a starter rather than rushing him to the NHL and leaving him to sit on the bench all season.

Archived