Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

If Loungo gets traded, who backs up Schneider?

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#91 Monty085

Monty085

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

.....and,,,if you were smart, you'd recognize that Schneider is a lot better than Lou and thus...you keep the better goalie... You get blinded by the Lou stars in your eyes....lots of teams were interested in Schneider for very good reasons...although nash would be a nice addition...he can't carry the team like a great goalie can....I'm trading you with Lou...

No, you trade whichever goalie would make the team better and I bet anything as of right now that goalie is Schneider because most teams would prefer him for only 3 years and 4 million per than taking on the retarded contract that Gillis signed Luongo to. Keeping Luongo and getting something back that makes us better up front is just as good because our offense has been pathetic the last 2 playoff series. And before you call me a "Luongo lover" I'm not, I like both goalies but if trading Schneider makes us a better team then you make that move. Take your anti-luongo glasses off for a second and think

Edited by Monty085, 29 June 2012 - 02:35 PM.

#92 Blood Fiend

Blood Fiend

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:40 PM

No, you trade whichever goalie would make the team better and I bet anything as of right now that goalie is Schneider because most teams would prefer him for only 3 years and 4 million per than taking on the retarded contract that Gillis signed Luongo to. Keeping Luongo and getting something back that makes us better up front is just as good because our offense has been pathetic the last 2 playoff series. And before you call me a "Luongo lover" I'm not, I like both goalies but if trading Schneider makes us a better team then you make that move. Take your anti-luongo glasses off for a second and think

Im just not convinced that Loungo has earned the starter position after the last couple of years.

#93 Monty085

Monty085

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Im just not convinced that Loungo has earned the starter position after the last couple of years.

It's a gamble either way to me, Schneider has been a great backup but still is unproven as a starter (he has yet to play more than 33 games in a season) and with Luongo he's shown he can be amazing but you never know when he might have a meltdown.

#94 darnucks

darnucks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

I hope it's not Lack. I just don't feel confident with a rookie backup and a first year starting goalie. I would think Gillis and the Canucks organization feel the same way. A solid veteran would be perfect.

Tim Thomas? :bigblush:

#95 Monty085

Monty085

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

I hope it's not Lack. I just don't feel confident with a rookie backup and a first year starting goalie. I would think Gillis and the Canucks organization feel the same way. A solid veteran would be perfect.

Tim Thomas? :bigblush:

If Lu goes to Florida we'd probably get Theodore back and he'd be the backup

#96 GradinToSmyl

GradinToSmyl

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:08 PM

http://panthers.nhl.....htm?id=8466141
After a few days here, I am surprised half of you got the anti-bot question correct to register for this site.

#97 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,627 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

Brent Johnson ?
Posted Image

#98 Monty085

Monty085

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

http://panthers.nhl.....htm?id=8466141

well they sure jumped the gun on that one didn't they

#99 Blood Fiend

Blood Fiend

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

well they sure jumped the gun on that one didn't they

Hope your not serious.... Thats panthers roster HISTORY. Not current roster.

#100 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

To the OP: its not going to be Lack. Some veteran UFA goalie as backup.
Lack needs more seasoning in the AHL. They're grooming him to become a starter, much like Schneids.

#101 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

They never though of that one. Oh No!

#102 Blood Fiend

Blood Fiend

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

To the OP: its not going to be Lack. Some veteran UFA goalie as backup.
Lack needs more seasoning in the AHL. They're grooming him to become a starter, much like Schneids.

So who would you like to see in the back up role

#103 Sully2Cool

Sully2Cool

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

Eddie Lack.
Posted Image

#104 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,054 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

Just noticed your sig, pretty sure it was Japan that bombed Pearl Harbour not the Germans

Legen...

wait for it...

little rusty on your classic cinema?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

...dary!

Edited by elvis15, 30 June 2012 - 12:53 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#105 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 04:34 AM

How did Lack do last year in the AHL? I thought I recalled Gillis saying that he isn't quite NHL ready yet but don't quote me on that.

We might have to get someone cheap via free agency.

Apparently Dan Cloutier was working with the goalies at Prospects Camp today. Road to a comeback? :lol:

I think he said he is almost there and he can challenge for the job. Lack started off brutal last year (like Luongo, had a crap October) and ended up putting of some of the best numbers in the AHL by the end of the season and he was the only reason they did as well as they did at the end of the year.

It could be Lack, if Luongo went to Florida maybe Theodore would come back this way or pick up another vet for the upcoming season.
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#106 GM

GM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

The Canadian Press

If a Luongo trade does come to pass, farmhand Eddie Lack will get a chance to make the Canucks in training camp.
"Eddie Lack is ready to compete for a spot, and we're going to give him that opportunity," said Gillis.
The GM will also explore the possibility of acquiring a veteran NHL backup.
"Now, we have all of our options ahead of us, and we'll flush them all out," said Gillis, who expects the trade market to heat up in August

http://www.cbc.ca/m/...rto-luongo.html

Edited by GM, 30 June 2012 - 06:30 AM.

#107 Truman

Truman

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:16 AM

Anyone who starts a game is a 'starter'  Cory 'started' about 30 last year.  He is NOT a rookie - this is his third season.  Between the veteran, Luongo, and the 'rookie' Schneider - there is no doubt who was 'steadier' - and it wasn't the vet.  Luongo is all the proof one needs that having a vet does not equate to steadiness - streaky or mercurial would be far more apt terms.

As for if there is still a trade with Florida that might include Theodore coming back, what you suggest is not unreasonable due to the fact that Lack lacks NHL experience - but there is only one way for him to get it - he has to play here.  So far, he has done well at every other level including NHL pre-seaon - he just hasn't played here yet.

Theodore has a NTC though only one year left on his deal. I dunno if he'd be down with moving.

#108 hockeywoot

hockeywoot

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

Unless he makes significant improvement, I'd imagine (and hope) Lack stays in the AHL.
It'll be better for his development. I'd like to see him handle the bulk of starts, rather than split duty.

I remember a number of years ago, people automatically assumed Schneids was ready to be a back-up, even
though it turned out he needed an extra year.

With the right development, I reckon he has the tools necessary to become a starter.
Possibly challenging Schneids several years down.

Assuming Lu is moved, I'd like to see a veteran UFA as a backup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.