The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack, Offer Sheet Bait?

EvoLu7ioN

Depending on what Lack would be offered on an offer sheet, I would match...I don't think that it's likely that anyone will offer up anything, but who knows? Anything is possible.

Also, should the Canucks trade Luongo as planned/speculated, I see the Canucks going after a veteran back up...as suggested by others on the board, a Biron or Clemensen signing would seem fit that bill. So, I would foresee Lack spending at least another year in the "A", with a number of platooning trips to/from the Canucks. I'm sure that Lack will get a lot of game time in the pre-season.

I'm encouraged by MG's comment that more "good news" will follow...let's just hope that this is good news in the way of:

(1) Schultz signing

(2) Salo signing (one to two years at $2MM cap hit)

(2) Luongo trade for a solid second/third line centre (combination of size and skill) and a high level prospect. If we have to take back Theodore from FLA, it would address having a veteran back up with one year left on his current contract at a friendly cap hit (though I believe JT has a NTC).

If I'm the GM of a team in need of a goaltender, I'm throwing Eddie Lack an offer sheet on July 1st. He's got vast untapped potential, all the physical tools to dominate in the NHL, and most importantly, has been developed the right way which gives him game a lot of mental stability.

$1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick

It's a bit of a gamble, but it would only cost an opposing team a second rounder, which is worth it IMO. Throw him an offer sheet at say 2.5M for 2 years, and mention to him he has the chance to compete for the starter position. Does Vancouver really want that extra million + on the books in their window to win when the cap becomes so crucial, definitely not. I really hope Gillis has thought about this and has a plan of attack in place.

It's obviously possible but I would be very surprised if a team gave him an offer sheet. $1.6M would be way too much for Eddie but I can't see why the Canucks wouldn't match that right now... He has great NHL potential and ownership seems to be ready to pay in certain circumstances (Steve Reinprecht collected on his healthy salary and never played a game for the Canucks).

Anyone remember the last time a player who had NEVER played an NHL game was offer sheeted? It's like a car full of children just learned a new sound and can't stop making it. (BTW, there is an answer to that question)

In the spirit of being nicer, I would like to commend you on your grammar and format.

Archived