The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Canucks Provide the Best Fit for UFA Justin Schultz

Velleman

Schultz went with the easy choice. In Vancouver, Schultz would have had to EARN his minutes and there was no guarantee that he would even make the team. In Edmonton, he will be guaranteed ice time, be able to grow WITH the team and when the time comes he'll be offered a lot more money to continue playing there. Just like Hodgson, I think he feels Vancouver is not the place where he can really prove himself or his worth. He would have won with us, but he would have only been a small cog in a much larger machine. In Edmonton, he'll be a large piece in a much smaller machine. Nothing wrong with that but it shows he's in it for himself and not looking to be part of something bigger. Why take less money and play less if you don't have to?

I'm happy for the Oilers in the sense that they don't get enough respect from free agents, but at the same time I hope Schultz enjoys all those extra minutes he'll be playing in Edmonton because he'll have lots of off-time come the summer time. I hope he likes Golf.

Archived