The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Toronto trying to leash in Justin Schultz

The Maple Leafs are hoping to get Justin Schultz, by using Jake Gardiner. Supposedly they are really good friends from their stint in Anaheim, and Gardiner is really hoping Schultz will come to Toronto, saying Toronto, the whole city wants him their. Gardiner has talked to Schultz a couple times, but saying Schultz really didn't give him anything.

Maple Leafs hope Jake Gardiner convinces Justin Schultz to sign

If there is a weapon in the Maple Leafs arsenal that could help GM Brian Burke land coveted free-agent defenceman Justin Schultz, it’s Jake Gardiner.

The two are good friends. Have been since 2008 when they were both drafted by the Anaheim Ducks (when Burke was GM there). The friendship solidified as teammates on the University of Wisconsin Badgers.

Gardiner has called Schultz, urging him to join the Leafs, one of five teams Schultz identified on a short list. The Rangers, Senators, Canucks and Oilers were the others.

“I’ve talked to him a little bit, but he really didn’t give me anything,” said Gardiner, who said he’d love to be teammates with “Schultzy” again. “As his friend, I definitely want him to come here. The whole city does.

“It’d be awesome. Hopefully it works out. There’s a lot of teams after him.”

It’s the time of year tea leaves need to be read. The fact that Schultz didn’t tell his friend much either means he’s playing his cards close to his chest and hasn’t made up his mind, or he has made up his mind that it won’t be the Leafs and didn’t want to disappoint his friend.

The player Schultz is most often compared to is none other than Gardiner — fast-skating, tall, puck-moving defenceman.

“He’s a really good skater, he’s faster than I am,” Gardiner said of Schultz. “He’s got a really good shot. He always gets the shot through from the point. Really smart, good vision, good stick.”

Gardiner left college after two years, to play for the Leafs, after the trade with Anaheim. Schultz played three years. Anaheim felt confident trading Gardiner because they had Schultz in the pipeline.

Schultz left school, rejected the Ducks offer to become an unrestricted free agent – something any drafted player who goes to college for more than two years can do.

The 6-1, 185-pounder, who scored 16 goals and 28 assists in 37 games, will be 22 on July 6. Bound by terms of the current collective bargaining agreement, no team can offer more than the $925,000 salary for players who sign entry-level deals.

But there’s a $92,500 signing bonus and performance kickers that could get him up to $3.7 million if the targets are achieved.

The Ducks are believed to have offered him the maximum package, but he rejected them anyway to choose his own destiny.

A Kelowna native, he may be leaning toward his childhood favourite team — the Canucks. Or he may want the kind of ice time teams like the Oilers, Leafs and Senators can offer. And he may be intrigued by joining a Cup contender like the Rangers.

http://www.thestar.c...schultz-to-sign

He's totally not going to the Leafs. :lol:

He has to realize that he is a massive Canucks fan and it would be a dream come true to play for them. Edmonton has sick offensive potential, but a few years down the road they won't be able to keep them all together. There is no way they are going to be able to afford all of those players and keep the rest of their team competitive enough. After all of this, if he doesn't sign with Van, he could quite possibly be booed whenever he plays us. :lol: DO YOU REALLY WANT THAT JUSTIN!?! No, come home. #comehomeschultz

I believe it's not tampering because the players are doing it and not the GM's.

Also Edmonton and Toronto are using people to try and sway Schultz to their teams because they are ass, vancouver doesn't need people telling the kid how good the team is. We won the presidents trophy 2yrs in a row.

I believe it's not tampering because the players are doing it and not the GM's.

Also Edmonton and Toronto are using people to try and sway Schultz to their teams because they are ass, vancouver doesn't need people telling the kid how good the team is. We won the presidents trophy 2yrs in a row.

Archived