Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phamda

[UNCONDITIONAL WAIVERS] Colby Armstrong

24 posts in this topic

Leafs will place Armstrong on waivers woth the intention of buying out the last year of his deal.

He must pass through waivers before he can be bought out. A team can claim him if they want.

I could see Gillis target him as a potential bottom-6 option. It would be a signing similar to the Torres signing. I wouldn't expect it to happen right away.

I could see him going back to the penguins to be with Sid

Tough luck, good 3rd/4th line grinder, even better person. Best of luck to Colby, can guarantee he won't be on the market long, someone will give him a contract. Weird that Burke couldn't get literally anything for him? Not even a 6th or 7th round pick...?

Toronto making room for..................................

Brodeur?!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399599

The Toronto Maple Leafs have parted ways with forward Colby Armstrong.

The team decided to buy out the final year of his contract, worth $3 million. He will be placed on unconditional waivers at noon et today.

The buyout will count for $1 million towards the team's salary cap over the next two seasons. The move frees up an additional $2 million for the team heading into free agency July 1, giving them $14.8 million in available cap space.

The 29-year-old forward had been plagued by injuries throughout much of his stay in Toronto, having been limited to just 79 games over the past two seasons.

He scored nine goals and added 17 assists and 47 penalty minutes in his two seasons as a Leaf.

Originally drafted in the first round (21st overall) by the Pittsburgh Penguins in 2001, Armstrong has played 439 career NHL games between the Penguins, Maple Leafs and Atlanta Thrashers, scoring 87 goals and 117 assists.

I could see the Jets picking him up on waivers. He has ties to the team and his cap hit isn't really a concern seeing as we're 13 million under the cap floor as it stands. He's probably not going to choose to come here as a free agent so I'd bring him in, give him a chance and then if he does well and likes it here, give him an extension. Also Cheveldayoff seems to be pretty big on taking people off of waivers. Maxwell, Miettenen, Clitsome.

The latest 2 seasons he has struggled with injuries so no thanks

Meh. Do not want. Plenty of guys already signed that could fill out our bottom 6 better than this guy.

Tough luck, good 3rd/4th line grinder, even better person. Best of luck to Colby, can guarantee he won't be on the market long, someone will give him a contract. Weird that Burke couldn't get literally anything for him? Not even a 6th or 7th round pick...?

Brodeur?!

Isn't his cap hit 3 million? With his injury history im sure that's why nobody tried trading for him with that cap hit.

$3 M cap hit, has played ~75 games over the last two years and missed ~80 games due to injury an only scored 9 goals over 2 years.

If he gets claimed by any team I believe his cap hit will only be $2.0 mil as the Leafs are paying the other $1.0 mil.

If he gets claimed by any team I believe his cap hit will only be $2.0 mil as the Leafs are paying the other $1.0 mil.

I thought the Leafs were on the hook for $1.5 million?

He is too light for the type of game he plays at the NHL level.

Just heard from Bob McKenzie's twitter that Derek Joslin cleared waivers and can now be bought out by the Canes.

Also the Flyers and Devils put Oscar Bartulis and Eric Boulton on unconditional waivers with the intention of buying them out, just like Armstrong

If someone claims him now, that team will be on the hook for the full contract. If he is claimed on re-entry, the teams will split the cap 50/50. If TO buys him out after clearing waivers they will be on the hook for 1 mil for the next two seasons and then Armstrong is free to sign a new contract if he can.

Brodeur?!

Like many a player, he was fine until he got to TO.

The buyout was a mutual decision as Armstrong wanted out, but his value was too low to trade at that cap hit. Solution: Lower the caphit. Now he's a valuable player again, depending on if he can stay healthy.

TOML