Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Does the Luongo situation make current canucks look at the team differently?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#31 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

Every single player in the NHL understands that this is a business. Players are looked at as assets. The Canucks probably aren't looking at their management team differently. If anything, they are looking at themselves and their first round exit and wondering if their OWN job is in peril.

Exactly this.

These guys are lucky to be playing a "game" as a career and earning millions of dollars in the process.

#32 nucklehead53

nucklehead53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

The Roberto Luongo topic has baeen dragged out this summer and probably will until long after he is traded... But if u were a current Canuck player would you be a bit disappointed and look at the organization differently for the way they have publicly handled the Luongo trade talk? Just my opinion but as a teammate I wouldn't want my star player and someone who has surpassed almost every Canuck goalie record and is one of only 2 goalies that brought us to game 7 of the SCF to be almost thrown under the bus like he has. Dont get me wrong I am a Cory Schneider fan even if he is still an unproven number 1 goalie in the respect he hasn'y played 60 plus games in a year..... or career total, but if someone who has year after year proven he is an elite goalie in the league can be vanquished so easily and publicly be talked about being traded by Mike Gillis who has pretty much stated Lu will be gone to the highest bidder.... I am not so sure I would have the same trust in the organization as a player as I did before. Also I'd like to note I am a MG supporter he has done great things for our organization, just do not agree on how this whole thing has been handled, starting with Luongo's comments about being open to a trade after the season ended and leading up to the recent interviews with Gillis about finding a backup for Cory once Lu is gone (Discussing Lack and the veteran FA goalies who he would go after pretty obvious what that means).
Or maybe this is just how the Canucks goaltending graveyard works and I am wrong and players accept how the goalies get thrown out every couple of years

To clarify the team has supported him I am referring to the fans. But the point that was trying to be made was that players on the team have too look at this situation and be a little disappointed..

If this phrase is going to be used, it should be used for some of the "just became Canucks fans"
It only takes one hard fought series to make a rivalry

#33 Canucksh

Canucksh

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

When has the Canucks organization ever said anything bad about Luongo? They've been saying he's really good and don't want to give him up for nothing.

It's the media, Luongo haters, and Canuck haters. Not the Canucks organization.....

#34 canucks_qc

canucks_qc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

I dont really buy this arguement. In the 3 wins we did get, the ones where Luongo kept the team within a goal, the team managed to pull out a win. But in the losses, all of them, Luongo couldnt keep the game close. And that includes the two opportunities to close out the Bruins,

8 goals in 7 games, that's a GFA of 1,14 this will NEVER be enough to play over .500 and eventually win the Stanley Cup. Of course Luongo could have been better in some games, but hockey it's a team sports where the 19 players(excluding 2nd goalie who is on the bench and players on the press box) have to contribute. I will always remember that series has the one that our team wasn't able to score goal and that's the main reason why we aren't Stanley Cup champion.

We pretend to know hockey because we are canadian, but 90% of the time the goalie get the blame, I think that's because there is a red light that turn on when he isn't perfect so it's easier to point out, than a d-man who should have been 3 feet closer to his opponent or the foward who take to much time before making his pass so there is no more open player.

We have more than we think in common with ''Le Canadien de Montréal''

Both have logo shapped in ''C''

Canadien and Canucks mean the samething

We both hate the Boston Bruins now

Alain Vigneault coached both teams

Rogers Arena, Centre Bell, it's phones company

We are blue white and green they are blue white and red

Our #1 goalie is from Qc, their #1 goalie is from BC

But we have one important thing different and I hope it will change after the next season, we don't have Stanley Cup banner

#35 Underachieving Hero of CDC

Underachieving Hero of CDC

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:33 PM

They have said countless times that Luongo is our #1 guy and that's not going to change. They have stood by him regardless of how much better Schneider was playing. They made him a team captain. They brought him in at the draft to announce our picks. They signed him for 12 freakin years. How much better can you treat a guy? This situation doesn't have anything to do with management treating Luongo poorly.

#36 bluesman60

bluesman60

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:38 PM

If Luongo was a gunslinger in the old west, he would be smart enough to know that sooner or later, someone is going to come along that is younger, faster and just icthin' for a showdown.
As great as Luongo is, the right decision for him is to get traded.
As a GM of the Canucks, MG has done the right thing for the club and signed Schneider to a contract. Luongo is the one who said he would waive his NTC and step aside if he wasn't going to be the #1 goalie in Vancouver. Luo is also the guy who is looking after himself and vitually demanding a trade to Florida....how is that MG's fault?
This whole thing could turn out to benefit everyone in the long run. Vancouver is not as close to the Cup as they thought they were and needed some changes. Moving Luongo gives them cap space to go after players that will help them more than having 2 bonafide #1 goalies. That is why MG won't just give Luongo away unless he gets some players or a player that is part of the plan to improve the team.
As far as Luongo, he will get traded to a team that desperately needs better goal tending and that may be in Florida which will put him close to his wife and kids.
The problem is that a couple of GM's out there that figure that they can get a true #1 goalie for a package of players that they don't want anymore. Players that have really big contracts and have not performed. What brain dead GM would reason that he can get a player that is a proven performer for a player that has not worked out? MG is doing his job in ensuring that Vancouver gets full value for a great goalie.
Lastly, it is rare that a goalie of Luongo's calibre and a smart GM would snap him up in a fair trade instead of playing 'one up' in front of the press. If he doesn't get a bonafide goalie when he is available and misses the playoffs again, he really should be fired. Once the season gets underway, there will be teams that will pony up to get better because they don't have the luxury of time to grandstand like they do at this point in the year.

Edited by bluesman60, 30 June 2012 - 02:44 PM.

#37 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,934 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Buisness is buisness luongo made his bed, if he kept his mouth shut in the finals last year we would have a Stanely Cup and not having this conversation

Yea, right.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.