The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who is a better Defenseman Bieksa or Phaneuf?

Pasific Coluseum

I'm sorry, but I honestly can't believe what I'm reading here.

I wouldn't make that trade, but as much as I like Bieksa, Phaneuf is a better defence man.

The guy hits like a truck, has a cannon of a shot, and recently has really rounded out his game minimizing on all the missed hits and defensive gaffs.

This thread pretty much summarizes the bias some of our fans have for our players. To say Bieksa is better is one thing, they are fairly close in skill, but some of these comparisons are ridiculous.

guys you have to look at this through a organisation that wants to win point of view instead of a Vancouver points of view. Phaneuf is better than Bieksa not by a lot but he is better defensively and offensively.

But i wouldn't make that trade because Canucks dont need to trade away a dmen for a dmen just to get a bunch of pieces that wont even fit into our lineup

It's tough to judge who's better overall, as they're each good at different things. I believe that as an individual player Phaneuf has slightly more offensive skill and aggression and he's somewhat like a Chris Pronger in terms of how he plays, but he's not known to be as defensively reliable as Bieksa, who in his own right is also offensively capable, though maybe slightly less so than Dion.

Just for his defensive consistency though (his time with Edler notwithstanding), I think Bieksa is the better overall defenseman.

As for the rest of your post, OP, I'm not so sold on Kadri's potential anymore, to the point that I'm not even sure that I would trade Raymond for him. Colborne and Kulemin are interesting players, both solid, and Nik gives this team a player who could become Kes' play maker should Hansen stay on the 3rd line. That said, I'm not sure that I would want to trade Lu for these two forwards alone.

not imo

Juice is head and shoulders better than the pylon

take Phaneuf, Bieksa and the 2nd out of the deal

What happened to Kulemin?  He's a left winger - Canucks don't really need another.

Kadri isn't really that attractive either - where would he fit in?  Not good enough to be a 2nd line center (and we have a pretty good one), not physical enough and not a two way center to fit in the bottom 6  Pass on him as well.

Colborne would be the one Leaf of interest, but Florida has better.

Leafs can't have Luongo.  Suck it Leafs.

Not who would you rather have on your team but who is overall the better D man.

Contracts, injuries, accolades left aside who is the general consensus more talented player?

Both players play a very physical game. Both aren't considered the most technically sound in their own zone.

I was just thinking if maybe Toronto forked over

To Van:

-Phaneuf

-Kadri

-Colborne

-Kulemin

To Tor:

-Luongo

-Bieksa

-Raymond

-2nd 2013

Would that make any sense?

I can't believe someone even asked this question, its things like this that make Canuck fans hated throughout the league.

maybe one on one Phaneuf has a slight edge, but who do you want in your locker room?

Quit trying to raid a bottom feeder for what little they have. We're looking to upgrade here folks...

I'm sorry, but I honestly can't believe what I'm reading here.

I wouldn't make that trade, but as much as I like Bieksa, Phaneuf is a better defence man.

The guy hits like a truck, has a cannon of a shot, and recently has really rounded out his game minimizing on all the missed hits and defensive gaffs.

This thread pretty much summarizes the bias some of our fans have for our players. To say Bieksa is better is one thing, they are fairly close in skill, but some of these comparisons are ridiculous.

Archived