The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The calm and cool that is MG...

disisdayear

Over the past week, I've noticed the calm, cool, confidence and patience that has defined MG's modus operandi since he has taken over the hockey operations of the Canucks. These are attributes that I believe that come across in a positive manner when it comes to negotiating with UFAs who are presently outside of the organization (e.g., Justin Schultz) and those FAs within the Canucks organization (e.g., Cory Schneider).

In pressers and public addresses this week, he's made comments that has provided me, as a fan of the Canucks, confidence that the team will be better than they showed this past season in the near and long term future. As well, his comment on paying tribute to Bure shows that this has been given lots of consideration (if you missed it, MG has made an offer to honour Bure in one way or another, and Bure for his reasons, i.e., being too young and wanting to maintain his privacy, declined for the time being).

He stated at the Summit that the fans would be happy with what will be happening, and Schneider's signing looks like the first domino to fall. Perhaps the next 'big' news is the signing of Schultz, which I now believe is probable vs. possible.

I'm equal parts hopeful and confident that the patience with which he is handling the Luongo situation will provide the team with the best options going forward, and no doubt out of his respect for Luongo, will provide Luongo with the best option for him. We've seen too many cases of impetuous decisions that hurt teams (can someone say Burke? How about Regier in 2011 off-season?).

I am also enjoying how he takes media concerns (e.g., the salary cap) and puts his perspective on how it should be viewed, which. I think he watches with some amusement the concerns the Vancouver media (especially MacIntyre and Gallagher) creates for the Canucks faithful.

There's no doubt to me that MG's blue print for building long term success is being executed as well as he mapped it out to be, with exceptions that are a function of external factors that are beyond anyone's control. Amendments/mistakes (e.g., mistakes that include Demitra - may he RIP - signing, handling of Hodgson and his camp, missed draft picks, etc.) will be made along the way, but make no mistake, MG won't deviate from the master plan he's laid out and is executing.

I realize that this sounds like a whole lot of man-love for MG, but I like what he's done so far, and I'm excited about what is happening with the club now with him at the helm of the hockey operations.

I actually find him to be cocky, arrogant, over confident and over-rated by CDC... He's not landing any big UFA's this summer u watch...And he's gna F up the Luongo trade too just like the Hodgson trade..

The only 2 players of any significance he's been able to add in 4 years here were Ehrhoff and hamhuis. He got Ehrhoff 'cause SJ just wanted to get rid of his salary which enabled them to make a trade for Dany Heatly and Hamhuis just wanted to come back home, MG didn't really have to work hard to get these 2. All his other trades or FA signings have been mistakes or duds! Plus none of his draft picks have made any contributions to the big club

All u guys just drinking the MG cool aid

I actually find him to be cocky, arrogant, over confident and over-rated by CDC... He's not landing any big UFA's this summer u watch...And he's gna F up the Luongo trade too just like the Hodgson trade..

The only 2 players of any significance he's been able to add in 4 years here were Ehrhoff and hamhuis. He got Ehrhoff 'cause SJ just wanted to get rid of his salary which enabled them to make a trade for Dany Heatly and Hamhuis just wanted to come back home, MG didn't really have to work hard to get these 2. All his other trades or FA signings have been mistakes or duds! Plus none of his draft picks have made any contributions to the big club

Vancouver is just an unlucky place. lol Manny's eye, Bertuzzi's career, Luc's death, Demitra's death.. Just for careers in general, most of them were treated wrong at the end. (Naslund, Luongo now, Bure, Morrison) We got ones that didn't work out, Messier, Sundin.. Missed cup opportunity's, riots, cheers to hoping our luck changes this season. <_<

Vancouver is just an unlucky place. lol Manny's eye, Bertuzzi's career, Luc's death, Demitra's death.. Just for careers in general, most of them were treated wrong at the end. (Naslund, Luongo now, Bure, Morrison) We got ones that didn't work out, Messier, Sundin.. Missed cup opportunity's, riots, cheers to hoping our luck changes this season. <_<

Out of all that, all u got were the 3 words " the Hodgson trade"? I'm not still complaining about that, what I'm saying is Gillis is not as good as ppl here make him out to be. He's made so many mistakes to go along with only a couple of good moves and somehow people don't see that. It's like he's got a spell on everyone here.

Most GM's in the league don't like dealing with Gillis 'cause he burnt so many bridges as a scumbag of an agent

Out of all that, all u got were the 3 words " the Hodgson trade"? I'm not still complaining about that, what I'm saying is Gillis is not as good as ppl here make him out to be. He's made so many mistakes to go along with only a couple of good moves and somehow people don't see that. It's like he's got a spell on everyone here.

Most GM's in the league don't like dealing with Gillis 'cause he burnt so many bridges as a scumbag of an agent

Archived