The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The calm and cool that is MG...

disisdayear

i don't like gillis now i believe he is holding back on the canucks ... wondering if he was the reason shultz went to the oilers... what was gillis not offering him... now is not the time to be scared and watch your every move....ugg the canucks are screwed because of this ...we have gm afraid to make a bold move....................................................... same people same results same thing losers... another year.

Over the past week, I've noticed the calm, cool, confidence and patience that has defined MG's modus operandi since he has taken over the hockey operations of the Canucks. These are attributes that I believe that come across in a positive manner when it comes to negotiating with UFAs who are presently outside of the organization (e.g., Justin Schultz) and those FAs within the Canucks organization (e.g., Cory Schneider).

In pressers and public addresses this week, he's made comments that has provided me, as a fan of the Canucks, confidence that the team will be better than they showed this past season in the near and long term future. As well, his comment on paying tribute to Bure shows that this has been given lots of consideration (if you missed it, MG has made an offer to honour Bure in one way or another, and Bure for his reasons, i.e., being too young and wanting to maintain his privacy, declined for the time being).

He stated at the Summit that the fans would be happy with what will be happening, and Schneider's signing looks like the first domino to fall. Perhaps the next 'big' news is the signing of Schultz, which I now believe is probable vs. possible.

I'm equal parts hopeful and confident that the patience with which he is handling the Luongo situation will provide the team with the best options going forward, and no doubt out of his respect for Luongo, will provide Luongo with the best option for him. We've seen too many cases of impetuous decisions that hurt teams (can someone say Burke? How about Regier in 2011 off-season?).

I am also enjoying how he takes media concerns (e.g., the salary cap) and puts his perspective on how it should be viewed, which. I think he watches with some amusement the concerns the Vancouver media (especially MacIntyre and Gallagher) creates for the Canucks faithful.

There's no doubt to me that MG's blue print for building long term success is being executed as well as he mapped it out to be, with exceptions that are a function of external factors that are beyond anyone's control. Amendments/mistakes (e.g., mistakes that include Demitra - may he RIP - signing, handling of Hodgson and his camp, missed draft picks, etc.) will be made along the way, but make no mistake, MG won't deviate from the master plan he's laid out and is executing.

I realize that this sounds like a whole lot of man-love for MG, but I like what he's done so far, and I'm excited about what is happening with the club now with him at the helm of the hockey operations.

he's the worst gm we've ever had. he was handed a stanley cup caliber team and all he had to do was not screw it up, but with crappy trades and crappy signings he has. He's put our farm system in the bottom 2 with nothing to show. he can't evaluate talent, has added hamhuis and that's it in 5 years. He's a scumbag agent, done nothing but con bc into believing nonis/burke guys are his.

I think MG has done a great job. There have been a couple faults along to way but overall he hasnt hurt the team like some have said. Some say signing Sundin was a mistake but I think that without him Kesler may have never reached that next level. Demitra filled in for Naslund, no loss no gain. Yeah the Ballard trade wasn't a good one but hindsight is 20/20. At the time we didn't know Hamhuis was going to sign here and we needed defense. Unfortunately we signed Hamhuis and that made Ballard less of a need. Gillis hasn't sold the farm for immediate help like some past gms or signed useless ufa's like Ritchie and Isbister just to say he made a signing. Maybe Sturm was a mistake but he was able to move him for someone younger with more upside. I'm not going to cover every move GMMG has made as it's not important. Overall I expect Gillis to stay the course and add a couple of new pieces and who knows maybe he'll blow our minds and make a blockbuster trade that makes us all happy. Only time will tell.

It's actually a good thing that there are two camps on this topic...those who think well of MG, and those who don't. If everyone was on one side of every debate, it would be a dull and boring world.

I sure was wrong on the Schultz signing, though. All indications were there that we would get the deal done...however, I am guessing that MG and his team were not prepared to give Schultz the surety of a roster spot and ice time which I suppose is something the Oilers were able to. I would bet my last chip that was the deciding factor for Schultz, because all things being equal, one would think Vancouver is a better place to live and work, especially if you were born and raised in the BC Interior.

If this is the reason Schultz chose the Oilers, then I'm glad that the Canucks brass didn't compromise its integrity by making promises to Schultz that they might not have been able to keep. The message to the current Canuck players and prospects remains true and consistent...you earn your spot and ice time.

At the very least, MG has other options to exercise and pursue...signing Salo becomes more important...Tanev's development becomes more critical...Garrison becomes more of an UFA target.

So hopefully MG can do more to impress the anti-MG camp and make them believers like those in the pro-MG camp.

Debate is good...name calling...bad.

Another BC boy that wants to play for the Canucks.

This is as easy as the Hamhuis signing and Gillis can take credit for it-again.

Too bad the scouts have not figured out that BC produces NHL calibre players that want to stay in BC.

I think he's done a decent job, i still remember literally years of trade deadlines or free agency where our GM's weren't able to address a single need. Gillis has done a pretty good job of acquiring players in my opinion and has gotten better with experience, higgins, lappy, and hammer are among my favorite players on the team and i'm absolutely thrilled to have them.

He's done a good job but not great, what happens tomorrow and what happens with Luongo will be by far the most important time in Gillis' career. If he's unable to land us a big fish it's really going to reflect poorly on his managing skills.

Archived