The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When did Luongo pass his prime?

89mogilny

My question to the board is that exact question of the thread? This is not a luongo bashing thread at all, all athletes pass their prime at one point or another, Luongo was the king in vancouver the first three regular seasons in Vancouver. The first two years, the canucks were an absolute joke when he was here, the only reason why the canucks made the play offs that year was because of Luongo and they won the division and Luo gift wrapped a Jack Adams trophy to AV. That was Luongo's best play offs ever as a Canuck, the game 5 against the ducks, ive never seen a goaltending peformance in a single game like that since i started watching hockey and if it weren't for the scott niedermeyer goal/jannik hansen/referee play, win or lose Luongo would have had ppl talking for years...the canucks missed the play offs the following year after a late season colapse, wasnt luongos fault more of dave nonis fault and now he's serving coffee for brian burke on a daily basis. Anyways, the following year thats when the canucks became a contender and were stacked on all three postions. Luo had an amazing year and was the main reason why the canucks were the team to beat but with three minutes left in game 4 against Chicago up 1-0 with the chance of taking a strangle hold of the series Luongo let in a weak Havlat shot from the top of the circle and the rest is history. Ever since that game and the games after, Luongo has been labeled the weak link on the canucks and that was a far cry what he did for us the first three seasons and first three play off rounds of his career. AFter that his regular season play hasn't matched up to what he did when he first arrived in vancouer, his play off performances have been on and off, he plays great in games and then he stinks up the bed the next two games. Anyways i wish him all the luck in the world and the one thing i hope he changes is his accountabilty.

I have to say I completely agree with the OP. I think you answered your own question. In terms of physical prime I'd have to say after his first season here. I think his years of stopping shot after shot in fla probably blackburned him out a little bit.

I don't believe Lou is past his prime but I think young, technical and more athletic goaltenders can do things Lou can;t due to his physical limitations. Teams study goaltenders on video...and Lou is too predictable and an easy read. He cheats on positioning and thats why teams fire pucks at him from any angle. Hes not a bad goalie, just not as consistant game to game as we need. Lou could hear the train coming(Schneider) and hes leaving to be a #1 elsewhere. Hes still too good to be a backup but not as good as Schneider.

Never. If anything if Lu gets moved he will have a solid year next year and if anything I see him having 1-2 awsome years as he gets older and becomes that much more motivated and desperate for a cup.

Lundqvist had the same mentality this year that got him a vezina.

The day after he was handed the C, ever since Luongo was Captain everything went wrong. Unfortunately Luongo being Captain was probably the biggest mistake for him, it changed him in ways that were negative instead of positive, in my opinion he hasn't been the same goalie since he was given the C.

Archived