The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When did Luongo pass his prime?

89mogilny

I don't think the issue is mental toughness. I think it's over-competitiveness. He overcompensates and over-reacts. He so badly wants to win, when things go sideways, he loses his focus. Lose focus as a goalie and you're dead meat. Luongo was in a stretch last season were he looked and sounded relaxed, and he got into a good zone. Then he started getting into that bad head space again.

He needs to relax and live in the moment. Not worry so much. Just take it one shot at a time. Maybe he's a perfectionist and gets too hard on himself when he let's in a softie. The injury to his groin did affect his lateral movement. But he can compensate for that.

The only problem with Lu is what's in his mind.

If you're a forward having a bad game you can still contribute say on the defensive side of things. If you're a goalie and having a bad game, you get thrown to the wolves.

I still think he is in his "prime".. his numbers in the regular season at least are still very good.. It was never about him being past his prime or his lifelong contract. It was his inability to get it done in the playoffs plain and simple, i think management was beginning to see that as well.

He's still in his prime.

Anyone else notice the pattern with some Canucks fans? Win an award, then they turn on you.

Vigneault. Wins an Adams. Now? Out coached.

Gillis. Wins GM of the year. Now? Overrated.

Kesler. Wins a Selke. Now? Diver.

Henrik & Daniel. 1 Hart, 1 Lindsay and 2 Ross. Now? Defensive liabilities.

Luongo. Wins Gold. Vezina nomination. Jennings. Now? Past his prime.

Weird.

He's still in his prime.

Anyone else notice the pattern with some Canucks fans? Win an award, then they turn on you.

Vigneault. Wins an Adams. Now? Out coached.

Gillis. Wins GM of the year. Now? Overrated.

Kesler. Wins a Selke. Now? Diver.

Henrik & Daniel. 1 Hart, 1 Lindsay and 2 Ross. Now? Defensive liabilities.

Luongo. Wins Gold. Vezina nomination. Jennings. Now? Past his prime.

Weird.

Archived