The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When did Luongo pass his prime?

89mogilny

In my opinion Luongo was a great goalie who was becoming a legendary goalie. He had played extremely well against the Stars and near stole the series against the Ducks. Sure he had a monumental brain cramp on the winning goal but that was the first crack in the psyche.

the actual breaking point was the day we were playing in Chicago, up 2 games to 1 , and up 1-0 with very little time left. The Canucks suffer a positional breakdown that happens once every 3 games , even less in the playoffs.

Martin Havalat swipes the puck and comes in alone on Luongo. This was his chance to bail his team out of a huge brain fart right at the most perfect hour. But instead he doesnt. He makes a weak play on the puck and Havalat scores.

In my opinion, this was the moment where Luongo's self image as a hall of fame goalie akin to Roy or Brodeur went out the window. His final cracking point was the collapse in game 6, but to me the defining moment for him was that Havalat goal.

If he saves it and we win that game, I believe both teams histories would look much different.

He rebounds of course. Wins a gold medal and takes the canucks to a game 7 but his mental nightmares caught up to him and he did not play well in the final.

Hes still the best goalie we have ever had, but he could have been even better if he had a stronger mental fortitude.

his play after the first three seasons has faltered big time...if you're not aware of that then thats your problem..think about it when fans start questioning the goalie as the weak link after years of being praised...remember naslund was the whipping boy before luoggo became that...

Just two seasons ago he had the best season of his career. His GAA & SV% last year was better than in 2009-2010. He is in his prime now and he could be a star goaltender until the age of 40.

Personally, I will be sad to see him leave but I will always remember him as the goalie who took it upon himself to dictate to the coach and insisted on putting himself before the team in game 3 of the SCF after letting in three soft goals, which eventually led to the team's complete deconstruction after allowing 8 goals that same night.

Though AV is the real one to blame for that, Lu was the one who set the fire and AV simply added fuel to it and turned it into an inferno.

Unless and until the Canucks win the Cup, I will always wonder 'what would have happened if Lu was pulled in game three and then put back in fresh for game 4'

As many have pointed out, this was the beginning of the end. Last season, when Luongo was out for several consecutive games with the re-occuring injury, and we needed CS to step in, I think it really made it clear to management that we have a signficiant situation at hand. Luongo can still play pretty steady, but can't be relied on like he could before. He's damaged goods.

I guess you can pick out whatever stat you choose to go with. The only conclusion I can draw is that 2009/10 was not his best year, but you can make an argument that 2010/11 was his best year. I know that back in 2006, when alex Auld was our number 1, I would have loved to see a goalie that could put up numbers like this. Last years numbers were better than his 2007/08 numbers so maybe he is not passed his prime.

At this point it's hard to say he's passed his prime. Once he's on the obvious downswing, the point will be more clear, but he still has time to play. Not as a Canuck, but as a goalie. He will rebound as a star on another team.

Archived