The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

let's be honest here...he chose edmonton because he is playing for his second contract. by getting lots of ice time in edmonton, it will set him up for a MASSIVE pay raise in 2 years. This way, he controls his own destiny...in Vancouver playing as a 4 5 or 6 defensemen would not give him that opportunity.

Don't worry guys, their will always be another free agent or our own prospect that will turn out to be a gem in the future.

What better feeling is there when a team drafts there own players and turns them or they turn out into a star....?

A whole bunch of people don't seem to realize that he's 21 years old. He is acting on impulses that he believes are best for his career. Edmonton pulled out all the stops in dangling treats in front of him, and there's a good chance he's a bit starstruck by this whole experience. The fact that he put a deadline in place for this decision is a huge mistake by his camp, he had all summer to make a decision, and now he's forced to jump to a decision rather than take time to think through what's important to him.

In Edmonton he gets to jump in and play. This sounds great, and is certainly exciting, but we all know how this can hamper long term development by taking on too much too soon. There's a good chance h could be hung out to dry by the difference in game speed and talent, which could seriously harm his confidence and potential. Or he may adjust quickly and flourish into the player that Edmonton needs.

People keep saying that he gets to play with top end young talent, and he will. The question becomes how does Edmonton hang on to all this top ennd talent when contract renewal arrives and they all want more. How will Schultz be affected by the Oilers going the Blackhawks route and dispersing all that sought after talent league wide? Will Edmonton still seem like such an exciting place to play?

The other thing to consider is mentorship. Schneider has stated how Luongo's presence has helped him develop. Tampa Bay brought in Ohlund to help Hedman progress. Who does Edmonton have that Schultz can look up to and learn from? The Sedins are the players they are because of Linden's mentorship, and credit Sundin with helping them reach the next level. Kesler benefited from the same process. Who is going to help Schultz?

I think the kid could have benefited from signing in Vancouver. I am not going to say he's wrong for picking Edmonton, time will tell if it was a good choice. I believe that as a young kid it is easy to get caught up in what's in front of you and lose sight of what's actually important, and it's possible that he is experiencing this now. I know as a Canuck fan myself I would regret signing for a different team when I had the opportunity to help my childhood favorite.

I hope he doesn't regret his decision. Best of luck to him.

Edit: furthermore, if Schultz would rather have things handed to him than earning his future on his own terms, he doesn't fit this team. I think it's this perceived attitude that is turning people against him.

What the F are you talking about.

1. Oilers are building a new arena as we speak

2. The Oilers now have five top 4 defencemen.

3. Dubnyk can go either way, just like Schnieder

4. Oilers were one of the best places to coach. It was recently that the coaches started coming in and out.

5. The Oilers have one owner, Darryl Katz of Rexall pharmacies. He is one of the richest people in Canada.

6. All players hit free agency, same time or not it doesn't make much of a difference

1. yes...because the "committed" owner threatened to move the team if the taxpayer didn't build them one.

2. Every team has 4 top defencemen or they would only have a bottom 2!! The caliber is the question. Edmonton have no top caliber D. Schultz will be their "Weber".

3. Dubnyk will be a middle of the pack goalie his entire career. Cory has already played more pressure-packed games than Dub and has shown he will be a top tier goalie.

4. What's your point? Revolving coaches is still a fact.

5. Having wealth doesn't mean you're willing ot spend it...quite often it is the opposite. Despite the Oiler's horrible performance the last few years, has the owner gone to FA to try and attract seasoned, quality players to improve the team? No...he has relied on placing last to draft through the lottery.

6. Ask Chicago about FA and the impact on a team that plans short-term for a cup run. It sure dos make a difference how you structure your team with "stars" mid-range and support staff.

with that cap hit he is probably a better fit in Edmonton - they don't really have to concern themselves too much with overpaying in the short term for a rookie - his cap hit would get in the way in Vancouver, of going after a veteran shut down guy, or Doan...

don't need another Gragnani situation with contrived reasons to put a kid into the lineup before he's really ready.

I am a die hard Canuck fan, and I hate the majority of Canuck fans. There is a reason I almost never post. Listening to the logic of Canucks fans makes me dumber. With that aside, read how irrational most of you are because he didn't sign here. I wouldn't want to play here either.

To be fair, Oilers fans would likely be having the same reaction if they didn't sign him.

People are just disappointed because they built this guy up in their heads as a Bobby Orr, and now their just venting.

Meh, I'm alright with signing players who don't expect to be treated like stars and want to earn ice time the hard(right) way.

Good luck to Schultz, but not to the Oilers. (Second thought luck to neither of them! Mwahahaha!)

What the F are you talking about.

1. Oilers are building a new arena as we speak

2. The Oilers now have five top 4 defencemen.

3. Dubnyk can go either way, just like Schnieder

4. Oilers were one of the best places to coach. It was recently that the coaches started coming in and out.

5. The Oilers have one owner, Darryl Katz of Rexall pharmacies. He is one of the richest people in Canada.

6. All players hit free agency, same time or not it doesn't make much of a difference

5 top 4 d-men????? since when!??!?! did they sign weber and suter when i wasn't looking?? because that would only bring them up to 2 top 4 d-men.... and player hitting FA at the same time REALLY does matter, ASK CHICAGO!

its nice that you numbered your points so everyone can tear them apart one by one... maybe you should just put more thought into your next set of bold statements, especially the 5 top 4 d-men the oilers haven't had in decades.

Archived