The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

Do you know what a top 4 defenceman is?

It's a defenceman who plays either 1st of 2nd pairing, usually getting 20+ minutes a night that can take a regular shift even strength and play on at least one of the special teams.

Do you know what people are referring to when they talk about a "top 4 D-man"?!!!

If Alberts and Rome were the best 2 D we had, they would get top 4 minutes and be onteh PP. Does that make them top 4 D men when discussing talent? No, it does not. Every team has 4 D men that get the top minutes. The caliber of those players varies greatly. Edmonton now has 1 maybe 2 D-men that fit the description of what a contending team would consider top 4. One of those has yet to play a game in the NHL.

But they also come with a much higher price tag, especially in 2 years (maybe that's why Shultz went for a 2 year deal)...they won't have money to sign everyone. And at some point it's diminishing returns with all offensive players - there's only one puck on the ice. That's not to belittle the kids, they're all great players. But Edmonton isn't built to win right now. They don't have a Keith or Seabrook like the Hawks did when they won, and they were lucky they did when they did because they we're blown up right away.

Schultz went with 2 years cause that's the longest they were able to sign him, and yes they do but those are core players for them, to give them 5 million or whatever they will get is nothing, That's what our core players are getting, just cause 3 players will be eventually making 5-6 mill is nbd, so many teams have that already.

Plus the cap just went up to 70, and there shouldn't be any significant changes in the new CBA, so spending 15 to 20 million on these stars wont be that big of a deal.

Then one could also argue his agents are irresponsible - and not because he didn't sign in Van. What's Kruger done to impress agents and players? Isn't it more risky to go with a relative unproven coach han one that people know and regard as tough but straight up? If Coaching was a big decision - I'd have gone to Ottawa or New York (if Van wasn't included).

Certainly. However, the point which I was addressing is the belief (held by others) that Schultz would want an "easier" coach which he could perhaps manipulate. I don't see that happening in Vancouver, Ottawa or New York.

regards,

G.

Schultz made the right decision for him self after hearing from multiple teams. No need to cry over spilled milk. I for one look forward to watching him play with all the other young kids on the Oilers.

Garrison to Canucks get it done MG.

How the hell is he Hodgson 2.0?

If anything he's the opposite

Hodgson wanted to be closer to home, his parents had a say in where he went, and he's a forward.

Sure he hand picked his team but so what? He didn't have a contract... But that was a pretty douchey move to reject the team that drafted him.

Great moves by EDM to get him. Schultz just fits the best in EDM and their young core, they wanted him more, they got him. And it's close to home for Schultz. So it make a lot of sense.

And. Ugh. Free agents are free to sign wherever they want. It's a pretty simple concept.

People who don't understand that and then start making up stuff so they can justify some self-fabricated hate towards any player who choses another team are just.... well obviously haven't been following this or any sport for that long. To those people, please for the love of hockey, shut the hell up. You are just confirming your ignorance.

Do you know what people are referring to when they talk about a "top 4 D-man"?!!!

If Alberts and Rome were the best 2 D we had, they would get top 4 minutes and be onteh PP. Does that make them top 4 D men when discussing talent? No, it does not. Every team has 4 D men that get the top minutes. The caliber of those players varies greatly. Edmonton now has 1 maybe 2 D-men that fit the description of what a contending team would consider top 4. One of those has yet to play a game in the NHL.

I was basing the Oilers defencemen on a playoff calibur team.

All AV asks is for players to be defensively responsible and not make dumb plays. Is that really too much to ask out of a player

The ones who have done that have all excelled under him.

They all make misakes but some wont miss a shift while others may get almost zero playing time Do Rome and Raymond not mess up but AV likes them and is much more forgiving than some.

When Lu has sucked he refuses to pull him until it is far to late.

AV plays favourites and seems unfair in his assesments sometimes.

Schultz will be a rookie and make mistakes like everyone else, but with AV there is a higher chance that he would be benched for long periods so AV can make room for his faves.

I didn't want him anyways. From what I've heard he's not that good defensively which won't work alongside Edler and he's not physical enough for our bottom pairing. He supposedly wanted ice-time and he just wasn't gonna get it here from my perspective.

Mike Gillis must feel like Jerry Maguire right about now. Justin Schultz was his to loose. I dont think he would have let go of Rome and Marc-André Gragnani if he didn't think Schultz was in the bag. But the hockey gods are mean to the Canucks as we all know and yesterday Glen Sather SCROOOOOD us. Hockey gods swooped down from heaven and seduced Justin Schultz. COME ON! Wayne F**king Gretzky and Paul Coffee. Talk about dirty pool.

I don't mind not getting Schultz. I felt a bit apprehensive about him just because he's coming off as a diva right now. And an unproven one, at that.

We won't need Schultz when we get Parise, Weber, Suter, Doan, Garrison and Gretzky. :rolleyes:

Archived