The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

Plus the cap just went up to 70, and there shouldn't be any significant changes in the new CBA, so spending 15 to 20 million on these stars wont be that big of a deal.

It would be fine if there was only 3 players getting around 5 million, but it won't be - which was my point. Horcoff and Hemsky are getting 5 million right now, Whitney is getting 4 million. Hall, Eberle, RHN, Shultz and Yakupov (assuming he plays to potential) will ALL be able to get far more than Hemsky...so we're talking 6-8 million realistically. So, it's more like 30-40 million on those 5 in a couple years, and sorry - but they won't be able to keep doing that. At some point one or more are going to have to move just to be able to keep the 'core' that they choose on. Mind you, it's a good problem to have. But it's also why we won't see dynasty's built strictly from drafts.

Canucks are cursed. Guess how many first overall picks we've had in our entire history. Zero that's right and No cups. The Oilers well they have 5 cups and have have how many first over all picks? And then they land the best young defencman available. Not all organizations were created equal.

"It basically came down to me having the option to chose where I want to play from the teams that were interested." -- Schultz

"It's a great organization, with such classy people there, I enjoyed my time with them, nothing bad to say about them" -- Schultz on Anaheim

"I'm very happy I could choose the Edmonton Oilers" -- Schultz on picking Edmonton

It would be fine if there was only 3 players getting around 5 million, but it won't be - which was my point. Horcoff and Hemsky are getting 5 million right now, Whitney is getting 4 million. Hall, Eberle, RHN, Shultz and Yakupov (assuming he plays to potential) will ALL be able to get far more than Hemsky...so we're talking 6-8 million realistically. So, it's more like 30-40 million on those 5 in a couple years, and sorry - but they won't be able to keep doing that. At some point one or more are going to have to move just to be able to keep the 'core' that they choose on. Mind you, it's a good problem to have. But it's also why we won't see dynasty's built strictly from drafts.

Hemsky and Horcoff wont be there when those players are making 6-8 if they ever do.

Who cares. I remember all the hubbub about Schultz's agent Ray Staszak too. Once he got to the show he didn't even come close to cutting it. This kid could have the same thing happen.

We pick our team on character and ability. Personally if I had spent my entire life the fan of a team and had the opportunity to go there I would. His choice speaks to selfishness in my opinion. He'll be booed in his home Province every time he touches the puck.

My final rant is to you people that keep talking about AV and how he treats our younger players. He has had so many develop well underneath him but he doesn't just hand them minutes. Big Deal, earn your ice. You clearly have no clue how a hockey team operates.

OHH NO, how could we miss out on signing a completely unproven and zero experience young D man for an overpriced salary!

Overpriced? He'd come in at under a million. Only if he hits his bonuses would it be more. And if he's hitting his bonuses he's worth the money.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HOW COULD HE????

Shultz has officially chosen the Oilers.... this tells me that he would rather be a star player on a last place team rather than a solid contributor on a first place team. I wonder why this sounds familiar? Oh ya, Hodgson did the same thing.

So, Mr. Schultz, go have fun finishing last with Edmonton.... We can sign Ryan Suter or Jason Garrison or Matt Carle and move on just fine without his services.

Mike Gillis always says that when the Canucks are looking at aquiring a player one of the most important things they look for is personality. If Schultz made the decision to be a star player on a bad team, then I'd say he is an example of the self-centered player that MG is not interested in aquiring.

But having said all this..... I am still really really really mad that Schultz didn't sign with us!!!

My rant is done :towel:

Oilers cup window is going to open in the next few years.

Canucks cup window is arguably closed.

Smart move by Justin. He's going to excel in Edmonton.

What a buncha losers you all are, we lost out bigtime suck it up.

Boooo to all of you crybabies.

And for all you that think the oil are contenders now or anytime soon you are forgetting one thing, they have 0 goaltending and all the scoring in the world can't fix that

We never found a replacment for Ehrhoff, J.S. could have been that. The sedins would have made him into that. The smooth skating defencman that our pp was missing all season long. well i hope Kassian can play like a stud this year and i hope tanev is good enough to take a top 4 spot, Getting Garrison and Trading Luongo is where MG focus should be, hopfully we can get a strong 2 way 3rd line stud center for Luongo. Make it happen MG.

Archived