The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

He made a career decision. HOpe it works out for him. Didn't know he was really going to take the easy way to the NHL. MIke Gillis doesn't like making promises. But true, bunch of you canucks fans making yourself look very stupid now, just like the rioters. In the end of the day, he chose a rising team. I am happy this is over with. Best of luck to him. AT the same time I do hope Oiler fans stay classy. NO need rubbing it into our face, or coming in calling CAnucks "Cry babies". Canucks fans calling Canucks fans cry babies, ok, OIlers fans coming in saying, it, a no good.

Oilers cup window is going to open in the next few years.

Canucks cup window is arguably closed.

Smart move by Justin. He's going to excel in Edmonton.

Nuck's have this year and next 'open' since their core is still signed - can't argue that. It's much of the same team that made it to the finals. Whether it's good enough to do it, who knows.

Edmonton is in a similar boat to Chicago though - they'll be excellent for many, many years. But their prime 'window' is the next 2-4 before their team becomes too expensive. After this coming season they'll have some HUGE contracts to dish out, even more the year after and the again the year after. Now, if Tambellini earns his keep - he'll make some moves with the pieces he has and keep the real core of players he needs while adding cheaper, compliment pieces to surround it. He does that, the window stays open.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HOW COULD HE????

Shultz has officially chosen the Oilers.... this tells me that he would rather be a star player on a last place team rather than a solid contributor on a first place team. I wonder why this sounds familiar? Oh ya, Hodgson did the same thing.

So, Mr. Schultz, go have fun finishing last with Edmonton.... We can sign Ryan Suter or Jason Garrison or Matt Carle and move on just fine without his services.

Mike Gillis always says that when the Canucks are looking at aquiring a player one of the most important things they look for is personality. If Schultz made the decision to be a star player on a bad team, then I'd say he is an example of the self-centered player that MG is not interested in aquiring.

But having said all this..... I am still really really really mad that Schultz didn't sign with us!!!

My rant is done :towel:

Your a idiot fanboy , Edmonton keeps adding great young players and you think they are going to keep finishing last ?

When it was revealed his priorities were ice time on a Canadian NHL team and Edmonton was his favorite city i think for the few here that look at things with out there homer blinders could see the writing was on the wall .

The oilers had so much in there favor in this , A Great core group of young players that are his age that he can grow with and a real need for a player like him and a real shot at getting top 2 ice time really soon

Nuck's have this year and next 'open' since their core is still signed - can't argue that. It's much of the same team that made it to the finals. Whether it's good enough to do it, who knows.

Edmonton is in a similar boat to Chicago though - they'll be excellent for many, many years. But their prime 'window' is the next 2-4 before their team becomes too expensive. After this coming season they'll have some HUGE contracts to dish out, even more the year after and the again the year after. Now, if Tambellini earns his keep - he'll make some moves with the pieces he has and keep the real core of players he needs while adding cheaper, compliment pieces to surround it. He does that, the window stays open.

I'd still say Vancouver is one solid d-man and a top six forward away from making a serious run. If they don't obtain those, they have no chance. Teams like the Blues, Blackhawks and Kings will give the Canucks trouble. The Red Wings will as well if they acquire Suter.

@adater: From a player who shall go unnamed: "(Schultz) better strap on his helmet pretty tight."

Probably a Duck, some of his former teammates had already spoken out when he left. They are pretty pissed, not because he left, but they way he left.

Not gonna bash the kid. But I am going to question Canucks ability to recruit players .... again.

Last summer they let their PP quarterback go, and could only attract 4th liners and Sturm. This summer, it was rumored GMs around the league thought Canucks were front runner for Schultz. Now he signs with a different team.

I hope Gillis has a plan. There is a grant total of 1 PP quarterback on the market this summer, they don't become available very often - Gillis has already failed to sign 2 of them. Nucks also have 4 other massive holes to fill (top 4 d-man to play w/ Edler, 3rd line cetnre, playmaker for Kes and backup for Cory). I just hope there's a plan.

What does this have to do with Canucks ability to recruit , Shultz is a person who in the end made the best decision for himself and as much you fanboys cant except it Edmonton is a very good choice for his career and anyone weighing out there options with a level head would have done the same

If Schultz wants to play, Edmonton would be the best fit for him. They have a young group, and he will be able to grow alongside them. While he may still be a Canucks fan at heart, it just makes the most sense for somebody like him. I doubt there is anything personal to this decision; rather, it is a wise career move. As Canucks fans, we will be biased, some more than others. As always, a player becomes a deity when he signs with the home team; when he chooses someone else, our perception of him changes entirely.

If you have any dignity, you would respect an individual for his decision. Regardless of where he went, he would have made the same amount of money. It was about ice time, and he chose a team with a tremendous future.

Congratulations to the Oilers.

If Lidstrom had taken the approach Schultz did, he wouldn't have put in his time with Detroit and likely would not have won the cups or individual awards he did.

Can't help but think the kid took the short-cut to fame and fortune and may have been better served learning his trade for a couple years before going for reaching for the brass ring.

Time will tell.

meh this just shows what kinda of character he has, demanding a top 4 role n certain amount of minutes im glad hes not coming to the canucks.

Apparently he has the character to what to be on the ice and make a difference. His contract was 3mil + whether he was a number 6 or a number 2. Judging his character because he wants to play is ridiculous. Normally a guy wanting to play 20min a game for his big contract is better than a guy who only wants to play 10min for the same big contract.

The fans calling this guy a brat and questioning his character because he made a personal decision THAT HE WAS ENTIRELY ENTITLED TO MAKE is beyond pathetic.

If Lidstrom had taken the approach Schultz did, he wouldn't have put in his time with Detroit and likely would not have won the cups or individual awards he did.

Can't help but think the kid took the short-cut to fame and fortune and may have been better served learning his trade for a couple years before going for reaching for the brass ring.

Time will tell.

Short cut? he chose to go to the last place team, that also happens to be in Edarctica where most people don't want to live, for the same money he could have got in detroit, ny, toronto or van. .. and somehow he took the easy road?

Archived