The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

easy guys. Why pay big bucks for garrison? or suter? Or guarantee a guy with no NHL experience playing time when we have numberous Defencemen ready to go.

Wait til next year and sign weber. Our defence is fine. Plus never know may get a good dman from florida.

Really? Rome and Gragnani are gone and Salo already has one foot out the door. Tell me about our numberous Defencemen Please. And don't give me "ifs".

easy guys. Why pay big bucks for garrison? or suter? Or guarantee a guy with no NHL experience playing time when we have numberous Defencemen ready to go.

Wait til next year and sign weber. Our defence is fine. Plus never know may get a good dman from florida.

Gudbranson :bigblush:

A lot of sour grapes on this thread.

Personally, I think it's kind of cool to see someone with the opportunity to play for ANY team in the NHL, pick the Oilers. It would have been nice to see him pick Vancouver, but Edmonton was the best choice for him.

The Oilers will be among the top teams in the next few years and he could be a big part of that. Best of luck to him.

The Oilers will be a good team, but will have a heck of a time fitting in all those 1st overall picks once the level entry contracts expire. No realistic way they keep this group intact for very long.

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but it's quite possible we dodged a bullet with this one. He gets drafted by Anaheim and then bails on the team. Then signs with a club based on getting ice time. You want to give ice time to unproven (At NHL level at least) rookie d-man? What if he sucks in training camp? Will he hold out if he gets demoted?

Remember when Jeff Finger had a good season with Colorado, then signs a big deal with the Leafs? Where is he now?

I feel sorry for Anaheim for wasting a 2nd round pick on the guy. I hope he is all that Edmonton hopes he is. But he sounds like he could be one of those players that brings a lot of baggage around.

I don't know about the rest of you folks, but it's quite possible we dodged a bullet with this one. He gets drafted by Anaheim and then bails on the team. Then signs with a club based on getting ice time. You want to give ice time to unproven (At NHL level at least) rookie d-man? What if he sucks in training camp? Will he hold out if he gets demoted?

Remember when Jeff Finger had a good season with Colorado, then signs a big deal with the Leafs? Where is he now?

I feel sorry for Anaheim for wasting a 2nd round pick on the guy. I hope he is all that Edmonton hopes he is. But he sounds like he could be one of those players that brings a lot of baggage around.

Actually, the Oilers didn't offer him ice time or even promise him a roster spot.

EDIT: lol can you imagine though? All this hype and he cant get a roster spot lol

@ryandittrick: "I don't want to be the guy that gets a guaranteed spot. I want to earn it and you should have to earn it in the NHL." - Schultz

@ryandittrick: Just spoke to Justin Schultz. Thrilled to be coming to #YEG. Said #Oilers made no guarantees about ice-time or a role next season.

Hmmmmm.

He should be the biggest risk to sign, even more than Penner because this guy has no on ice experience in the NHL whatsoever, he has not even played a pre-season game in the NHL I believe, completely different than the NCAA.

Not to mention he went to Edmonton, so he is destined to not do well right off the bat, which means he will take serious heat around the league, which means he will only get worse, which all eludes to the same thing, a bust.

@ryandittrick: "I don't want to be the guy that gets a guaranteed spot. I want to earn it and you should have to earn it in the NHL." - Schultz

@ryandittrick: Just spoke to Justin Schultz. Thrilled to be coming to #YEG. Said #Oilers made no guarantees about ice-time or a role next season.

Hmmmmm.

They don't have to tell him that he has a guaranteed spot. Isn't it a given based on how weak their D is?

He definitely went their for a better chance at more ice-time. He's lying if he says otherwise.

They don't have to tell him that he has a guaranteed spot. Isn't it a given based on how weak their D is?

He definitely went their for a better chance at more ice-time. He's lying if he says otherwise.

Exactly.

The kid is going to get booed in every building he plays in

Wayyyy too much of a diva for someone who hasn't played a single NHL game yet.

Not a big loss for us to not get him IMO

That's not his fault! He hasn't been engaged with the media! He can't help if he's hot property.

The people who are saying Hodgson 2.0 are nuts. Hodgson was not an UFA when he went to Buffalo.

The Oilers will be a good team, but will have a heck of a time fitting in all those 1st overall picks once the level entry contracts expire. No realistic way they keep this group intact for very long.

(player)-Hall-Eberle

2-7-7

(player)-RNH-Yakupov

2-7-7

Hartikainen-Lander-Paajarvi

2-2-2

(depth player)-(depth player)-(depth player)

1-1-1

EXTRA:(depth player)

(shutdown dman)-Schultz

3-7

(shutdowndman)-Petry

3-4

(depth dman)-(depth dman)

1.5-1.5

EXTRA:(depth dman)-(depth dman)

1.25-1

starter

backup

69 million which fits under next year's proposed cap

I wish Schultz nothing but the best in Edmonton as I had my hopes on Garrison come tonight at midnight. Has anyone even considered the thought that maybe he didn't sign here because he would not measure up to our D core. Let's face it, Edmonton has no D, so even if he makes blunders every game, it will be disguised by the rest of the D's screw ups. Just a thought.

In all honesty I really only wanted Shultz just to show the rest of the hockey world that Vancouver is a destination players really want to come too, and that a nice good young free prospect for the future. That being said, its not like the Canucks really are that desperate for a player like shultz anyway. I see him being a good player, but not as good as a player like EDLER anyway. In the way of defence, I would suggest the Canucks go after a bigger and more rugged shut down type. Canucks have plenty quality puck moving D. And lets not forget some of the prospects on D the canucks have in K-Conn, Mcnally, Corrado, ect....

I feel Shultz has some room to grow still and probably won't make any real impact for some time. The Oilers are going to be good but the Canucks are good now and for the foreseeable future, so lets all relax and enjoy our team. Go Canucks! :towel:

Archived