The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Justin Schultz to Oilers

Edmonton wont be the crazy team their fans think they will. Half those players will leave when the oilers dont meet their salary demands. Edmonton will make the playoffs in a couple years, but only as a 5th or 6th seed, theyre not gonna be Pittsburgh or Chicago.

Edmonton wont be the crazy team their fans think they will. Half those players will leave when the oilers dont meet their salary demands. Edmonton will make the playoffs in a couple years, but only as a 5th or 6th seed, theyre not gonna be Pittsburgh or Chicago.

Edm wont even be close. No veteran depth. Chicago had unreal depth at forward and defense. Pitts had Crosby and Malkin, enough said.

I don't understand the whole "growing up" together sell point. In a few years they will all want more money if they develop into the players every Oilers fan believe they will. There is no way they can keep them all.

Gretzky told them he'll get rid of the cap?

The Oilers were the best fit from the beginning. This team will be scary in a couple of years once they fill the holes on their d.

HOw do young players benefit from playing with other young players? I don't get this. I heard about how veterans can mentor younger players, but not younger players mentoring other younger players. I still scratch my head when people say, "Oilers" is the best fit. I'm not sure about you morons, But I can tell you a young dman can benefit more from playing with Salo, Hamhius, Bieska, or even Edler, or in other words, one of the best defence cores in the NHL then playing with Cory Potter, Cam Barker, Theo Peckham, or whoever plays for the Oilers defence. Just my 2 cent. I'm not going to slam his decision, he wants to "grow" as a NHL player, again, not sure how you will "grow" as a player playing along side Cory Potter Pechkam or Cam Barker, again, It looks like Shultz wants to by pass any developement to the NHL, and wants NHL ice time RIGHT NOW. He wants powerplay minutes RIGHT NOW. He doesn't want to earn, it, he just wants it RIGHT NOW. He chose the worst NHL city in the world just so he can play in the NHL RIGHT NOW.

Canucks can move on. MIke Gillis does not operate a team like this. He does not gauarantee any prospect UFA ice time they haven't earned yet. Maybe this time Gillis could have lied to him, and gaurantee him the ice time, but in the end giving him bottom 6 minutes, I don't know. I know succesful businessmen, how to lie every now and then. But again the Vancouver Canucks are a team of that rewards their players if they are good, and if they are bad, they will need to undergo further developement. I Agree with what MIke Gillis's decision not to offer an unknown prospect ice time. It is kinda sad, I was hoping we can get a free high end prospect, but as Mckenzie said, he's just an above average prospect.

But I support what Gillis's decison all the way. I don't think he dropped the ball at all. Good luck to Shultz and the Oilers. I think it's time to close this thread and talk about July 2 2012.

Disagreed entirely. Very beatable and their progression of rushing kids has not done them any benefits. I guarantee they will be nothing like the Pens. Difference? Pens did it right, Oilers don't have guys are difference makers.

100% agree ! The coil will slowly spin down the commode as these players develop and want out of the city and organization. :emot-parrot:

The Oilers were the best fit from the beginning. This team will be scary in a couple of years once they fill the holes on their d.

the only thing scary about the Oilers is how bad their young small stars are going to get hurt, which is already happening. Teams now will hate them even more, Getz said players on other teams don't like what Schultz did and other tweets saying other NHLers are saying Schultz better make sure his helmet is on tight. Look at the players on the Oilers who will be on the ice for most of the time RNH, Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, Hemsky, Whitney and Schultz, those guys aren't getting far as their way too small and soft, sure tons of skill there but no protection and small softer young guys who most are already injured, remember Yakupov had a concussion this year as well with Hall.

the only thing scary about the Oilers is how bad their young small stars are going to get hurt, which is already happening. Teams now will hate them even more, Getz said players on other teams don't like what Schultz did and other tweets saying other NHLers are saying Schultz better make sure his helmet is on tight. Look at the players on the Oilers who will be on the ice for most of the time RNH, Hall, Yakupov, Eberle, Hemsky, Whitney and Schultz, those guys aren't getting far as their way too small and soft, sure tons of skill there but no protection and small softer young guys who most are already injured, remember Yakupov had a concussion this year as well with Hall.

Oilers future is so overrated it's ridiculous, didn't we hear all the time about how great the Oilers will be back when they drafted Gagner like 4/5 years ago and they still suck? also have you seen the major drop off in Yakupov game after his concussion? it had many scouts doubting him and Schultz is far from a lock to being a star in the NHL, college hockey to the NHL is a major jump and the Oilers will be throwing him into the fire, how well did that work out for MPS?

Oilers biggest selling point is that they suck and get high draft picks and they'll be this destiny team, where is their Crosby or Malkin? they don't have any generational talent. A good comparison I think to what the Oilers may be is where the Hawks are at now, not the Hawks team that won the cup but the smaller team with good players that they are today, hardly a destiny team.

wouldn't be surprise we sign no big names during the free agency seeing how we've been treating our star players in recent memories.. i mean who in the right mind wants to play here when there's other teams that have just as good of a chance of winning as us?

Edmonton trade Pronger to the Ducks after Pronger demands a trade, Oilers trade Pronger FOR Lupul, Smid, 1st, conditional 1st (if Ducks win the cup within the next 3 years)

The guaranteed 1st was traded to Phoenix where Phoenix picked Nick Ross. Oiler traded up with Phoenix to pick Riley Nash. Oilers traded Riley Nash in 2010 to Carolina FOR 46th overall where they picked Martin Marincin.

The conditional 1st turned into 22nd overall in 2008 where the Oilers picked Jordan Eberle

The Oilers in 2007 off season applied an offer sheet to Dustin Penner which the Ducks did not match. The compensation was a 1st, 2nd and a 3rd.

The 1st round pick turned into 12th overall. The Ducks traded this pick to Buffalo FOR Buffalo's 1st and 3rd round picks in 2009. The 12th overall pick turned into Tyler Myers.

The 2nd round pick from Edmonton which was 43rd overall turned into Justin Schultz.

Anaheim traded the 3rd round pick to the Islanders where the Islanders draft Kirill Petrov.

wouldn't be surprise we sign no big names during the free agency seeing how we've been treating our star players in recent memories.. i mean who in the right mind wants to play here when there's other teams that have just as good of a chance of winning as us?

Nyr-Wade Redden, Gomez bust, Drury Bust, etc.

Brad Richards and Marion Ganorik sign.

It's a non issue.

Well, for one I'm glad he is NOT coming here. Too much size and experience downside for this Club. Honestly we are small enough as it is and we were going to promote a 186 lb college kid to our first or second line. Do we really hate winning that much?

Here's my thoughts on Schultz..

Whilst it would of been nice to have acquired a free player who has been projected to be a great D one day he is not the right guy for the Canucks right now. The guy has never played in the NHL and never played a full 82 game season. Getting hit a few times a game by 220lb forwards will be a big shock to the kid.

I hope he does well, i really do but i don't think he will be fully used to this league for a few years yet and by then the Oilers will have to pay some big money out to keep their stars. To the people who say the Oilers are going to be some sort of Hockey dynasty... Dynasty's only existed before the cap.

Oilers future is so overrated it's ridiculous, didn't we hear all the time about how great the Oilers will be back when they drafted Gagner like 4/5 years ago and they still suck? also have you seen the major drop off in Yakupov game after his concussion? it had many scouts doubting him and Schultz is far from a lock to being a star in the NHL, college hockey to the NHL is a major jump and the Oilers will be throwing him into the fire, how well did that work out for MPS?

Oilers biggest selling point is that they suck and get high draft picks and they'll be this destiny team, where is their Crosby or Malkin? they don't have any generational talent. A good comparison I think to what the Oilers may be is where the Hawks are at now, not the Hawks team that won the cup but the smaller team with good players that they are today, hardly a destiny team.

Totally agree with this.

It would appear that 'The Oilers Clock of Destiny' has struck three.

What, Ryan Smyth just 'happened' to want to return to his beloved team?

And they just 'happened' to win the draft lottery?

And now Schultz just 'happened' to pick Edmonton out of all 30 teams in the league?

Looking forward to seeing how many other 'fortunate coincidences' they get in the next few months. Hey, is there a lockout coming up? That's around the last time they were prominent. Re-freakin'-gards.

TOML

Archived